Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Steering sounds & rear differential locking up

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
So I have a 2007 ridgeline 91k miles and when I stear left I hear a weird sound is not clonking is more like mazdas zoom zoom Jajajajaja but for real it's alarming a tad bit especially when my car doesn't make any noises I would like to know if its something I can do a mechanic mentioned the power steering fluid to flush and put new fluids idk though

#2 ·
When was the last time you changed the rear diff (VTM-4) fluid? It needs to be changed every 20-30k miles. Old, worn out fluid and cause weird sounds when you turn left or right. If it's more of a whine, it could be the power steering fluid. A little more detail will probably be needed to make a more fair assessment.

#4 ·
Yep. Honda recommends changing the rear diff fluid first at 15k miles, then every 30k miles past that. The tranny fluid is to be changed first at 45k miles and then every 30k miles although some have done the first change sooner. Some with trucks older than 2011 who have the older Z-1 fluid from the factory have elected to do three full drains and fills with the newer, full synthetic DW-1 fluid. Otherwise, regular fluid changes following the MM system is all that is required.

#5 ·
Ditto what Ian said about changing the rear diff fluid... VTM-4 fluid only. My understanding is that you can get a growling noise if the fluid is dirty or contaminated.

Gouranga, it would probably be a good idea for you to do a complete fluid and filter service to your RL to establish your maintenance baseline. Do you plan to use the MM for your maintenance events?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.