Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Off-Roading Ride-Along Video

41K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Kane4775 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I saw the video, I would say it was a decent video and it showed me at least that the HONDA will do ALL I will ever need it to do. As for the hill, I wonder if that was just a marketing ploy for the VSA/VTM. Maybe they wanted to stop first, engage it, then do the hill. It should of made that hill either way. Of course with the lack of OFF ROAD tires and a LOW RANGE, its not gonna be a normal 4x4. So don't try to compare it as such. LOW RANGE makes a big difference on steep hills, but it wouldn't be needed on that hill. As a 4 wheeler, I have climbed hills that went straight up and looked like the truck would flip backwards, you needed a low range for these hills. My decision to buy a ridgeline goes beyond the ability to climb hills. That was the old days. I want more on road traction, and a smooth handling ride, with the ability to do at least what Gary did, (get me to my hunting/fishing hole and back) if I need it. Not climb, or jump hills and tear up my $30,000 truck. Plus I have to admit, for all that bouncing around and as fast as he was going, it was pretty damn quiet inside that truck. Not the usual banging and rattling. And the independent suspension, (one wheel in the air) was cool. Some 4x4s with open diffs would have had that wheel spinning away, not helping at all. Again, the Ridgeline is Not the usual 4x4, solid axle, one side up, other side down. But it will do and go just about anywhere most STOCK 4x4s can. I just can't wait to pick mine up.:cool:

#6 ·
Rontopia said:
this video is no longer there?

click on it and a blank webpage comes up
You may need to give it a while to load... Took a bit of time for me but it did come on...

Cool video I may add. First time I've seen it! :D

#8 · (Edited)
so on that one big hill did he have to use vtm-4 lock or did he do that just because he hit the cruse botton and thought "oh well, I guess now I can so how this other stuff works"

it looks to me that for most of the course, he was not in vtm4.. is that correnct? so through mud and water and all that one would just use the mormal vsa system?

#26 ·
so on that one big hill did he have to use vtm-4 lock or did he do that just because he hit the cruse botton and thought "oh well, I guess now I can so how this other stuff works"

it looks to me that for most of the course, he was not in vtm4.. is that correnct? so through mud and water and all that one would just use the mormal vsa system?
I think the latter. What he was trying to do when he hit the cruise control button was to turn VSA OFF, since he was getting so much front wheel spin that the engine was being stalled by VSA. If he'd just turned VSA off, he would have gotten transfer to the rear wheels by virtue of the front wheel slip (VSA OFF only turns off the traction control part, not the rear clutch pack activation), and he should have been fine. I suspect that having botched the demo on camera, he didn't want to take any chance of a further problem, and went ahead and engaged VTM-4 as well. I agree that it would have been interesting to see if he could have gotten going on that hill from a stop - although truthfully that would have been more of a tire test than a driveline test.

KeS

#9 ·
Rontopia said:

I love the video, except where he made himself look like an idiot by choking the truck down on that one hill by hitting the cruise button. He did say that since he had to back down the hill, he could use that opportunity to show how the VTM-4 lock works. He didn't have to use it, but he just chose to do so.

Actually, I would have liked to have seen him lock it in while still on the hill and see if it could finish the climb from where he stopped. Now that would have been impressive.

#12 ·
Video worked fine for me. Had to click on the link. That opened up another window that looked almost the same, but no video or download. When I clicked on the link in the second window, the download began. So... click twice and all is well.

#13 ·
Good video allmost makes me want to go off roading every weekend after my hony do list is done.

#18 ·
I tried loading the video the various ways outlined in this post with no success, has anyone else been able to retreive and view this file? Any tips or pointers?

#19 ·
If this is the Gary Flint video demo, here ya go.

If not, what video is it?

#24 ·
I found it!!!!!!!!!! Ive been looking for this for awhile.

#27 ·
Hahahha the comment on the video is priceless:

"You can do that in 2 wheel drive right up until 60,000 miles when your American Made truck falls apart."

I agree. I havent been there obviously but I dont think its too challenging but a good demonstration none the less

#28 ·
One thing I noticed he said: "VSA is braking the Appropriate wheel". Not, "braking the rear wheel".

This has long been a discussion on this site. Some say it only does the rear due to the front wheel bias for stability.... Maybe the guy who designed it knows? I have seen my girl friend drive mine through deep snow and you can actually see the front wheel stop and start spinning when the vsa brakes it.

#29 ·
I didn't realize it was a debate. There's no doubt VSA brakes the front wheels - on a loose surface you can easily feel which wheels (or at least which end) is affected. Now, I couldn't tell you offhand if it brakes the REAR wheels - usually by the time I'm at that point I've already turned VSA off. I could do an experiment, I guess. Always assumed VSA traction control worked on all four, since it's integrated with ABS and why wouldn't you?

KeS