Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Comparing Tacoma

8K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Hopper 
#1 ·
I had the chance to park next a Tacoma. I wanted to compare the height with my 2" lift. what you guys think? I think both trucks stand well against each other. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the Ridgelines somewhat bulky or butch design, makes it look like a bigger truck than it's actual class.

#5 ·
The Ridgeline is a much w i d e r truck than the others in it's class, including the Tacoma!

#3 ·
I think the Honda looks more refined while the Toyota looks more utilitarian. Color differences may play a part of the impression too.

#9 ·
Here's an excerpt that Edmunds published yesterday:
"The 2013 Toyota Tacoma is a top pick in a rapidly dwindling midsize segment. The cleverly designed 2013 Honda Ridgeline is a good truck for daily light-duty use, but its carlike frame lacks the sturdiness that most truck buyers want. Ford and GM have temporarily left the segment, leaving only the Nissan Frontier as the Tacoma's only serious competition. The Frontier is equally muscular, but its interior isn't as nice or refined."

#10 ·
Sturdiness? Really? Was there a sturdiness test I missed? Does rigidity count?

#12 ·
And nicely done too! :D

#14 ·
If I wanted a truck truck I would get a Tacoma. But I want an SUV truck, so the RL fits my needs perfectly. Tacoma's are great trucks. You never see 15 Arabs riding around in a RL. By the way, every time I see those Toyota's on CNN, I wonder how often they get their oil changed.

#17 ·
Yeah, those new ones are sharp!

#19 ·
Well, we see which one you favor. :D

#20 · (Edited)
The Ridge is "growing" on me...

Thanks to a trip to Maine I got to "test" the AWD...

The Wife and GPS forgot to mention the Shortcut up to a wildlife center was a Closed Class 6 during the winter months :act064:...BUT the Ridge went through the sno-road like it was meant to be :snowman2:..even got a double-take from the guy on sno-shoes :act030:.

My little "Orange blinky" came on once and I am thinking that only happened when I tried "playing" through a "mogul" area:D

No, I will not take the Ridge up on Blueberry mountain or any of the other "Difficult" Class 6's...That is what the Tacoma is for BUT we can now plan weekend adventures across New England's Class 4's with either vehicle...

Life is good.....:act030:

My problem NOW is I am looking at LED's for the Tacoma and my wife wants to put a set on the Ridgeline also....My MOD budget WAS for 1 "Toy" ...now it may be shared...

#21 ·
Nice to see them side by side. I wanted to buy a Tacoma, but they were too expensive for my budget with at least 20k more miles than what I got my RL for. Saved some cash and got a truck that is not so common that you see every day. Made a good choice and happy

#27 ·
Lets see some pics! I loveeee love loveeee the look of the Sport. Those rims... MMMMmmmm.

#26 ·
If we are going to compare Ridgelines to Tacomas, Here is a pic of my 2008 Ridgeline beside my fathers 2013 Tacoma in Nova Scotia shortly after I bought it.

His is a 2.7L 4 banger with a 5 speed so its not going to win any races but having driven it lots I can say its a very nice truck. I like the ride of the ridgeline better. The ridge is on a little bit of a hill on the grass but normally the tacoma sits just a hair taller than the ridgeline, but the ridgeline is definitely wider. If I needed a "truck" truck I would have a Tacoma in heart beat. They are a little smaller in side but they are definitely boss trucks.

Dad always says, "ill kick your butt on the trail young man!" and I always say, "race ya!".

#31 ·
Oh the Tacomas got the RL in a few spots. As codda said off roading the tacoma will school the RL. there is just no comparison to a proper four wheel drive system. The 4.0 v6 has more power than the 3.5 and they tow more. I think 6000 or 6500? If you need a truck get a tacoma. If you need a truck sometimes? Get a ridgeline.

#34 ·
i was drawn to the flame by a super cheap lease on a highlander (we are big fans of cheap leases). the highlander was a base model,awd, v6 for $258mo w $0 down as advertised by a local dealer. I always shop by internet and phone so i can just go in and test drive to confirm and then do the deal. well, i didn't care for the highlander's ride or cheap feel inside. so the salesperson mentioned the taco's and tundra's were aggressively priced for lease as well, the tundra was too damn big for my liking, although its an awesome truck. so i tried the taco. i liked it better than the highlander. so i commenced signing up for a cheap lease on it. this was where i made my mistake, i hadn't done my due dilligence on the taco or tundra to know ahead of time if i wanted it for this round of wheels. so i was sucked into it because it was spur of the moment and i liked it better than the highlander. however, i lost sight of the fact that the RL was my most favorite vehicle of all the ones i've ever owned or leased.

so i drove home with the taco the next day and right away knew i should have done the RL. each day passed and i had buyers regret. it doesn't ride as nice as RL, it's nowhere near as family friendly as an RL, ergonomics in the RL are much better than the RL. the RL is roomier but not tundra sized. the taco had 4wd which is not as good as AWD imho. it binds up if you turn your wheels too tight, you have to switch in and out of 2wd and 4wd. the cab in the taco is confined compared to the RL. yadda, yadda, yadda.

so i went back to the original dealership and tried to work a trade deal but they wanted me to eat waaaay to much. i found another local honda dealer, where i got my RTX, accord EX and odyssey EX from over the years. it took some haggling but they took my taco in trade for me purchasing hte RTL navi at sticker and buying the extended pwertrain and electrical systems warranty to 90k. so they got their margin on the RTL and warranty and i got out of the taco.

the taco was a double cab, v6, 4wd, TRD sport. nice truck but not for me

#36 ·
If it did, I'm not sure Honda would know how to handle it. :act002:

#38 ·
Considered the Tacoma, but I really wanted something that could fit 4 normal size adults comfortably for a long trip. I'm 5'9", back seat in Tacoma crew (or double, or quad, whatever it is referred to) is just not big enough for anything more than a short drive. Nissan Frontier was almost big enough.

#40 ·
We are moving all of our company pickups to Ridgelines. I think we are up to four now with two more on order. We like the fuel milage and dependability of Honda.

I am new here and have complained a bit about a few things that are missing that really should be on the truck. I will stick to auto headlights.

Regardless, I think both the Tacoma and Ridgeline are good trucks. I like the Honda better because you can get leather from the factory. You can't order leather from the factory in a Tacoma. Also, the Honda has more room and seems more refined inside and this is important for GM 2500 / Dodge 3500 owners.

#41 ·
The Hondas kind of have an auto function.... Did you know that if you leave your headlights on and exit the vehicle the lights will go off automatically after 20 or so seconds? When you hit the unlock button the headlights will come on. Not a bad feature.

What kind of company is it? What do you use them for? Just driving around or actually hauling stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.