Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

RPM's surging around 60-80km/hr

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
I was wondering if someone could help me out with this one! I have a 2006 Ridgline and i am just noticing when driving around 60-80km/hr and the RPM's drop to 1500 or so I can watch the tach and see it serging and can feel this in the truck as well. However, get it above this rpm and the problem disapears.

#2 ·
I've noticed the same thing on our 2006 Pilot. I don't think it does it as much since I changed the tranny fluid from Z1 to DW-1. But I think around 45 mph, which I believe is in your kph range, was where the rpm variance would occur.... kind of like it couldn't decide which gear to be in... or whether or not to lock the torque converter.

This would occur with light throttle. If off the throttle or on the gas hard enough, there was no hunting or surging.

Is this the same for you?

BTW, I don't think I've ever noticed this on the RL. But since you have the 2006 model, something else you could check would be to see if the tranny TSB has been completed on your RL.

#3 ·
The same thing happens to me when my tranny fluid and transfer case gear lube gets a little on the old side. It's been about 20k miles since I did the tranny fluid last and about 35k since the transfer case. I've noticed it recently moreso with the colder weather, but I'm hoping a fluid change will fix it. I have a very early 2007 that falls into the tranny TSB category. I've never had it done because I've been in the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My truck shifts nicely still at 123k miles and I don't really think the TSB would "fix" anything. Plus, I was quoted over $100 to have it done at my local dealership. I didn't bother calling anywhere else because it's a ripoff to charge that much money for something that takes no parts and about 10 min. to do. OP, I'd suggest a tranny fluid and transfer case gear lube change. See if that helps. If not, maybe check into the TSB. I'd be interested to see if it helps at all.

#5 ·
How long and how much mileage have you put on since your last tranny fluid and transfer case gear lube change? That could very well solve your issue. Have you done the full changeover to DW-1 fluid? Do you use synthetic gear lube for the transfer case? I'm gonna be doing my transfer case tomorrow afternoon. If that doesn't help, I'll do the tranny fluid, too. I did a D&F about a year and about 15k miles ago (checked my records as a correction to my previous 20k statement) and I wasn't planning to do another one until the spring. It only happens every now and then, so I may just let the tranny fluid go until then.

#8 ·
I'm guessing the older Z1 fluid was probably used. If you're using km's, I'm assuming you're in Canada. Your truck would probably benefit greatly from the full-synthetic properties of DW-1 and a synthetic gear lube. Honda's stock gear lube is not synthetic, though. I use Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic. It's about $10-12 for a quart and it will give you two full fluid changes. If you're even the least bit handy, you can do these changes on your own. Super simple. You drain it and fill it. To fully change to DW-1, you would need to do three to four drains and fills of the transmission with driving a few hundred miles in between each one. This would take many hours of inconvenienced time and several hundred dollars in labor. If you buy a case of fluid at the dealership, you can do it yourself for under $100. Just a thought. Mixing the DW-1 with Z1 won't negatively affect your truck. If you do just one drain and fill, it's better than doing nothing. If you do get the TSB done, I would be greatly interested in hearing how it affects your truck.

#11 ·
True, but for those of use who have only been to the dealership twice in nearly three years, it probably won't be. Haha! FYI - changing the gear lube does nothing to help this issue. Changed it with fresh Mobil 1 on Friday and drove about 60 miles on Saturday. On several occasions, I was around 45mph at very light throttle. The truck would surge just a bit once every second or so until I either let off the gas or applied more of it. It only did it three times, but that's three times too many. I just don't know if the TSB would solve this issue or not.

#13 ·
Technical Service Bulletin

I've never experienced the "surging problem". I bought the truck with 20K already on it. I assume the tranny TSB was already performed on it by the previous owner (or maybe mine is not in the VIN range that needed it). However, I did do all the drain/fills to DW1 and it shifts much smoother than with the Z1 fluid.

#18 ·
Not necessarily. I did a complete changeover about 30k miles ago and then another drain and fill 15k miles ago. It did go away for a bit, but it comes back. It's not as bad with the synthetic fluid, but it's still there.This is why I'm interested to see if the TSB helps.

#19 ·
This topic has appeared to have gone dead, but I know for one that the problem hasn't gone away on my '08 RL. I have changed the tranny fluid to the synthetic. I have changed the plugs. Neither has made a difference in the RPM surging around 1500rpm at about 45mph. There is clearly something going on, but I am surprised that nobody on the forum has come up with a solution. I have had my mechanic drive it and he felt the surge, but his only suggestion was to change the plugs. Didn't work or help the problem. I am VERY hesitant to take my RL to the dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem, because their way of solving problems is to replace parts until something works which obviously can get VERY expensive. I am afraid this surging is more serious than people think and would like to find a solution to the problem. Any updates from anyone?

Thanks
Bryan

#20 ·
Sorry Bryan. Only my Pilot does that and I can't seem to make it do it on command. I really think it's a tranny thing, unrelated to the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.