Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Playback of MP3 and WMA on CD with navi

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mc2guy 
#1 ·
I am hoping to get some help with playback of CD's. Couple of questions here, all are related though. My Ridgeline is a 2011 with Navi.

1) The CD player does not display the name of my CDs on the screen (navi or the radio LCD). I am using a mix of old and new CDs. The 6 CD unit, behind the navi screen, has the word text printed on the bottom left where it has the CD logo. I would have thought that the unit would display the album and song name. Am I mistaken?

2) I would like to burn my own CDs in MP3 or WMA format. Will those CDs display text?

3) When I burn the CDs with MP3 or WMA will the unit recognize folders or do I have to burn a flat disc (without folders)?

4) Is there a benefit to MP3 or WMA? I use iTunes so I figure it will be easier to burn MP3s

4) In order to ensure the unit recognizes my CD are there any setting I need to pay attention to when I burn the CD?

New to ROC - First post. Just got the Ridgeline and loving it!

Thanks for the Help!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Dryfuss those are very good questions, sorry I don't know any of the answers. I would think that the cd player would not recognize folders but I could be wrong. I would think the only advantage of burning cds in mp3 format would be file compression. You should be able to burn a lot more music in mp3 format than wma format. I sometimes burn my own cds and have no issues with the ridgeline cd player. Just make sure you "finalize" your disks if your burning software asks, that way the disk will play in any player. If you use I-tunes why not just plug your mp3 player into the aux jack? Its a whole lot easier than fumbling with cds.

#3 ·
I just put the MP3 in the root of the CD - the Honda MP3 engine will only play the first 999 songs on the CD.

I don't think any WAV files will display the songs info.

I only do the MP3 format and I lower the quality to 32 or 64 kbs as you cannot hear the difference driving down the road. - at 32kbs you can put 1200 songs on a CD but you need 2 folders with no more than 999 in each to get the MP3 logic to play them all. It only displays the names in the MP3 file on the display so if you leave the artist and song blank they are blank on playback.

#4 ·
LarryR - I'm sorry but you must have terrible hearing. I would never use less then 128kpbs for any compressed music files. Anything less produces "spitty" or otherwise harsh high notes. I am not a golden ear but can hear this on almost any equipment.

I don't have experience with a 2011 Ridgeline. But I would be surprised if it didn't handle folders. It only costs 25 cents to find out.

iTunes doesn't create MP3s directly. You'll have to create an audio disc/file, then re-encode as MP3. Remember that every time you change from one lossy compressed format to another, you are degrading audio quality, at least a little bit. I suggest you never buy music from iTunes unless you have no choices because iTunes gives you AAC files. If you buy music from Amazon (or some other legal place) you will get MP3s.

#5 ·
Standing still I can hear the difference, but the Aux port and 64K sound the same to me. I do keep the master files at 128k. Wind noise and tire noise drown out the higher frequencies in older bodies like mine - gosh - one year away from being 60. Your body rejects you one part at a time at my age.

[ Begin Rant ]
I avoid Apple software at all costs as it comes with too many strings attached. Apple and Sony both are on my avoid list - I stopped going to movies by Sony (I will wait for them on TV). Sony still has millions of CD's with rootkit installers on them floating around - What right did Sony have to install software on my computer for just playing their video or cd.
[ End Rant ]

I find Media Monkey a better alternative to iTunes and it has tools to attach album covers and figure out the song / album names.

#6 ·
To the OP, yes the Honda Nav unit will display BOTH the folder and track titles on the nav display when in the audio mode. This applied to BOTH MP3 and WMA titles.

I'm not sure how you are burning your disc, but I have found the best way (on both Mac and PC) is to drag and drop the names MP3 folders onto the disc, then burn. Both iTunes and Windows Media Player will automatically save your album as a folder with the title of the disc, so this shouldn't be an issue assuming you are ripping your own music to MP3 or WMA. If you pirated it or purchased online, then I'm not sure I can help.

As a nice feature, the burned MP3 disc will not only show what is playing, but you can select the "track list" feature and see all of the folders on the album, along with tracks from each. These tracks are selectable so you can jump around on the disc without having to "skip" to the track you want.

Someone mentioned bit rate for MP3s. If you are using the Aux input, it will depend on the DAC of the player you are using, and I could probably understand going as low as 96kps if you just don't care. Below that, there is very clear distortion of the sound, particularly in the sub-500 Hz range. I rip everything at 256 kps, which is effectively lossless. You can still fit 6-7 albums on a disc, which gives me around 40 albums at my disposal at all times, and they sound as good as the original!:act024:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.