Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

honda remote starter

19K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  eromeo56 
#1 ·
i have a 2013 rts i want a remote starter i was told by the dealer the honda remote starter wont work in the rts can anyone tell me if it will or wont

#2 ·
Even if the Honda starter would work on the RL, it's not worth it. Get the Auto Start or other reputable brands. You'll get more distance reception for sure.

#14 ·
Not true...........HONDA warranty does NOT cover aftermarket accessories no matter who installed them...........HONDA covers OEM only............add on remote starters and add on alarms are the worst offenders and often cause serious problems.

Problems like no start, check engine light, body codes, SRS codes and even fires are the most common. Installing technique is the major concern. Often CAN wires or shielded wires are damaged. Often aftermarket remote starters disable the imobilzer key system.

#6 ·
The pre-2005 vintage electronics in the Ridgeline do not accommodate a factory or dealer-installed remote start option.

Honda's Remote Start II accessory is relatively pricey at $399 MSRP (you can get it cheaper), but there are advantages over aftermarket systems such as:

- It's all plug-and-play (no splicing/cutting of wires which is required by most aftermarket systems)
- It is covered under Honda's warranty if installed at time of purchase (aftermarket systems have their own warranty, which is less reliable)
- It is integrated with the vehicle's electronics so that it can disallow remote start if there is a problem with the vehicle that illuminates the CHECK ENGINE or LOW OIL PRESSURE lights (aftermarket systems don't do this)
- It has an indicator on the remote that shows you how hot or cold the interior is based on the climate control's cabin temperature reading (aftermarket systems don't do this)
- It replaces your keyless entry remote, so you don't have to carry around multiple keyfobs (unlike many aftermarket systems)

#7 ·
I installed Smart Start by Viper which is about as cool as you can get. Use a key fob remote or your cell phone. You can go as expensive as you want depending on the features. It also has controls for windows and temperature but I didn't add those. Also a robust alarm system. Worth the money I think.

#8 ·
I installed Smart Start by Viper [...] It also has controls for windows and temperature but I didn't add those.
It might be able to monitor temperature with an add-on sensor, but I don't see how it interfaces with the existing cabin sensor or HVAC controls since those are proprietary. I can't find any mention of this capability on the SmartStart section of Viper's web site. Is this feature something you read about or were simply told about?

#11 ·
Compustar.

#21 ·
I appreciate all your comments on my after market remote start. I DID get it in writing on my paperwork that the dealer will cover the remote start under my warranty. I will look out for the problems that you guys mentioned. So far the remote start works very well. When I have time, I will have my mechanic check the connections for me. Thanks again for the input on this.

#23 ·
wow, I can't believe how much bad information is being said in this post

first, yes, the aftermarket disables the OEM security....for 3 seconds to allow for start, then re-arms the factory alarm. 2nd, you cant steal a car that has been remote started, as you still need the key to unlock the steering, and as soon as you put your foot on the brake the starter is disabled, and it is back to OEM security. Barely any cars need the "key in the box" bypass, so there will be no key left in the car.

as for install, in newer cars, it is actually quite easy. An immobilizer bypass on any car with "CAN" is simple, on most cars it was is about 6-15 wires that had to be spliced and soldered. There are even t-harnesses available for both DEI and Compustar.

also, your warranty can not be totally voided for a remote start. In my 16 years as an installer, I have never scene anyone's engine blow up to an aftermarket remote starter. They would have a hard time under the moss-magnuson act trying to pull that . They would have to determine that any aftermarket part was the root cause of the failure.....and unless the remote start was done by johnny chimpo, you should have no problems, and if there are, any reputable shop will take care of that for you.

also, on my ridge, I have a viper 5904, with a DBALL2 bypass. (I had Honda make me a valet key so I didn't have the big OEM fob/key and the viper) It was 10 wires and you are done. 9 of the 10 wires are in the steering column, the last is at the fuse box. I have helped quite a few members on this board with RS. I can send you wiring diagrams, and answer just about any question you may have on them.

#27 ·
Hi,
I work at a Honda dealership. For whatever reason they don't make a factory car starter for the Ridgeline. I know they're a bit pricey, but I would want one for my Ridgeline. I always like the idea of OEM, if its an option.

Just be sure to find a reputable shop, and ask for what the warranty would be against the product, and the workmanship! Cheap is seldom good, and good is seldom cheap! In other words,"you get what you pay for.''

Good luck! :act024:

#31 ·
I just had a Viper one button 2-way remote starter installed. The range is crazy long and from third floor of office building I could barely see the truck in the parking lot. The 2-way let me know it started. Truck was nice and hot when I got in. Cost $279 out the door. Only draw back, I have to turn off the remote start in order to use the honda key to unlock door (double starting) or open door old fashion way by inserting key manually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.