Votes: 2 6.3%
  • OTHER

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Get ALL seasons

Votes: 4 12.5%

All-terrain for tire recommendations

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  COOPER_ABQ 
#1 ·
trying to find myself a good tire that has minimal road noise and a nice aggressive look to it.

anyone ran any of these before ? experience ?

or which would you pick

on the list ?

#2 ·
Are you actually going to use them off road or are you looking for a pretty mall crawling tire? Noise on ATs is generally not bad unless you get into aggressive MT treads.

#4 ·
My new Cooper AT3s are very quiet, even at 78 MPH on the interstate.

#7 ·
how long have you had them for ? I have hankook ventus on my other car and I have mixed feelings about hankooks everyone ive talked to says the tread wear goes down fast on them and that they dont start off with as much tread to begin with like some other tires .. I havent had mine for long so I couldn't tell
btw are they loud ?

#8 ·
Do a search here for Hankook and you will find a lot of responses.

#14 ·
so I actually spent all day researching on other forums and such and reading reviews and comments of people who went through sets of tires

so far I got is The cooper and the hankooks are best bang for the buck

the Nittos wear out fast and there are way more people complaining about road noise when they are at 50% tread while the coopers and hankooks everyone is happy with road noise on them.

Also the Nittos have many reports of being crappy in wet environment and cant offroad for **** (I wont be offroading so I dont care ) but wet conditions does seem like a dissapointed I read reviews from guys who ran nittos and then ran hankooks and hankooks were the better tire in almost everyone who ran the 2 one after another especially in offroading/wet leafs and such

The coopers so far got nothing but perfect forums comments everyone is happy both hankooks and coopers are the best choice

the toyo open country is basically the same as the nitto's just different tread pattern
but wayyyyyyyyy tooo many comments on how past 15K miles its game over for them..

so I think I will be buying the cooper or maybe the hankooks most likely the cooper they look more aggressive while mainting a quiet ride

#15 ·
so I actually spent all day researching on other forums and such and reading reviews and comments of people who went through sets of tires

the toyo open country is basically the same as the nitto's just different tread pattern
but wayyyyyyyyy tooo many comments on how past 15K miles its game over for them..
Wow. My Toyo's still look like new after 2 years, but were not used last winter! So really they are 1 1/2 years old.

And I will probably go with them again in the future, but of course, time will tell!

#16 ·
Voted Other as well - BF Goodrich A/T

#17 · (Edited)
I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago. I was looking for an AT tire, with an agressive look/tread, that was fairly quiet, but was good in mud/snow too.

Price, of course, was important. One of my main wants/needs was a tire that was quiet on dry pavement. I narrowed it down to 3 tires:

Cooper Discoverer A/T: Very good reviews on road noise and tire life. Rated the best of the 3 for rolling resistance. Price was right too. I could get them mounted and balanced for under $160.

Kumho Road Venture KL73: Again, good reviews on road noise and tire life; although they were rated a bit noiser than the Cooper and KL61's, just because they have a very agressive tread pattern. Rated the best of the 3 on ice braking. Snow flake symbol. Rolling resistance was highest of the 3. I could get them cheaper than the Coopers, at around $150 a piece mounted and blanced.

Kumho Road Venture KL61: The best of the 3 on noise ratings. Tire life expectancy was just as good as the Coopers and better than the KL73's. Rated better than the Coopers/KL73's on hydroplaning, has the snowflake symbol, but rated just below the KL73's on ice braking. Rated equal to the Coopers on rolling resistance. Mounted and balanced for $165 each.

I ended up going with the KL61's. I like the tread, that is aggressive, but not too agressive. Sidewall has an agressive look too...I like that about them. Road noise is very comparable to all-season tires. Very good ride. I am very happy with them so far. Have put about 1200 miles on them and would rate them very high.

#21 · (Edited)
Correct me if Im wrong, but, those in the picture look like BFG Rugged Terrain...Not Rugged Trail....although, Im not exactly sure what the difference between the two is.

Im running BFG Rugged Trail T/A myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.