Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Kayaks and Bed Liners

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MoosePond 
#1 ·
I'm looking for options to carry whitewater kayaks. So far I just have the factory roof rack. I tried a kayak stacker on it, but it was a pain to reach the roof standing on the side rails, so I ended up returning it.

First off, I'm looking for a good soft bed liner, since the factory coating is like sandpaper on a plastic kayak. I've been throwing in some workout mats, but I'd like something more permanent. Any suggestions?

Also, I was thinking about some sort of rack in the bed. I remember seeing someone that bought the Vantech siderails and then mounted a Yakima rack onto the rails, so the rack sat just over the bed, instead of sticking up at roof height. Anyone tried that or know where I can find that post? I haven't had any luck finding it again.

Any other suggestions on carrying whitewater kayaks (6 to 10ft long)?

#2 ·
I have posted before about using (just) the VanTech side rails and a yakima rack. I find this setup works well. You can search my previous posts for more information. Or let me know if you have a specific question. Also, for the longer kayaks, you might want to search for posts about hitch-mounted bed extenders, which several members have found useful. I'm thinking about getting one myself for a specific application. Good luck.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)

Attachments

#5 ·
My friend that turned me on to the Ridgeline has a hullavator. I really need to be able to carry at least 4 and preferably 6 kayaks though. I have some Thule 450 feet that I've seen people get to work on a factory rack. I'm going to check out the Yakima railgrabs first though. I wouldn't mind carrying a step ladder from time to time as needed. It would be sweet to be able to carry like a dozen yaks and gear! lol

#8 ·
The more the merrier?

Keep in mind that your Ridgeline has a 1,500 pound load limit - and that includes occupants. 14 kayaks at say 40-45 pounds each is over 1/3rd of that, add racks, PFDs, paddles, a couple of coolers and 3-4 occupants and you could quite easily exceed that limit and put safety and reliability at risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.