Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Temperature of Brake Rotor, Caliper, & Wheel ???

22K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Walterr839 
#1 ·
I had a heat issue with a rear wheel due to friction of a stuck brake pad. The wheel got VERY hot after only 15 minutes of driving. That wheel was fixed, but since then, I have been monitoring wheel temperatures after driving. I use a harbor freight infrared thermometer that tells the surface temperature of objects, link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

I've been taking temperatures of wheels, rotors, & calipers after driving at night (so sunlight will not throw off the temp readings). I know that brake rotors get hot with use, but I just don't know "how hot is normal", because I want to make sure that none of my other wheels have a pad rubbing.

Outdoor air temperature = 77 degrees F

The rear brakes were serviced, & after driving, they are:
rear steel wheel near center = 90 degrees F
rear caliper = 145
rear rotor = 165

The front brakes after driving, are:
front steel wheel near center = 95 degrees F (about 5 degrees hotter)
front caliper = 155 (about 10 degrees hotter)
front rotor = 178 (about 13 degrees hotter)

After several tests, the fronts are consistently running a little bit hotter than the rears (at a max of about 15 degrees F hotter). I'm just not sure if that is normal or if maybe the fronts should be checked & lubed also?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no genius, but sounds right to me that the Fronts would be hotter as they are supposed to be your primary brakes, and the rears come on when you lock 'em up, or so I thought!

#3 ·
Those temperatures look good. One of the best ways to tell brake issues by temperatures. Now if you are concerned about a dragging brake check them from left to right. The front work together and the rear work together. You should have temperatures that are within + or - 10% from left to right. Meaning if you had 165 on the right front rotor you should be 149 to 181 on the left front rotor.

#4 ·
Oh oh. Looks like another tool for the chest. ;)

How accurate are those things?

#5 ·
Mine agrees with thermometer I have. I use mine almost everyday at work either checking brakes or air conditioning. I also use it to check injectors.

A worthy tooth for the tool box.

#7 ·
Pretty sweet idea. Wouldn't have thought of that. Guess that's why I'll always be in the shade-tree mechanic status. ;)

#10 ·
Ok, I didn't use oil in a pan, but I did it with running hot water out of the faucet. Yes you can read the temp or running water, so it probably would be safe to say yes you could use it to tell the temp of oil cooking in a pan.

#11 ·
I cannot give you a "normal" range, but your temps are well within reason.

When a caliper is stuck it doesn't take long to burn up the brake lining materials. You can normally smell them... a distinctive bad odor.

The Ridgeline uses ceramic based pads that are more temperature and fade resistant than traditional materials, but when a caliper is truly stuck it takes only minutes to destroy them.

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everybody. On a side note, the harbor freight infrared thermometer may be on sale now for $30, not sure if that is everywhere or just in my area.

The infrared thermometer has many uses, but I especially like to use it to cook restaurant-grade steaks at home. I get a cast iron griddle plate* up to about 600F using the infrared thermometer, then toss on a thick juicy steak using metal tongs.**

I sear both sides for about 90 seconds, then put steak on a smaller metal tray & into the oven under the broiler at 500F for 5-10 minutes (rare-medium doneness). When done this way, you can make a steak at home that's on par with Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.***

(*Note: when cooking at 600F on a hi power gas burner, use cast iron cookware ONLY...others will be ruined)
(**Note: Sear steak OUTDOORS using hi heat source (ie: BBQ or turkey fryer burner) produces SMOKE! Sometimes grease from seared steak will catch flame briefly, & airborne grease will smell up your house...do NOT try this indoors).
(***The results are SO worth it!)

#14 ·
I just noticed that other members like cooking great food, so here is another very useful cooking gadget: Comark thermometer

It rapidly shows the internal temperature of foods. It allows you to cook meats & fish (esp. chicken & turkey) nice & juicy, without making it dry & tough. It also prevents foodborne illness, because you can get the meat cooked to safe internal temp, without overcooking.

Also shows temp of hot & cold beverages, soups stews so you won't burn your taste buds off.

They use it professionally & it lasts about a year or more in a busy professional kitchen, but for home use, it will last much longer & works totally awesome.

Comark Thermometer Link:

#17 ·
The Ryobi looks nice & for a nice price...I wonder if it has the laser targeting? The harbor freight model has a laser sight, so you can pinpoint the heat reading. When I did my brakes, I could aim the laser at the rotor, & then slide over to the caliper, & watch the heat #'s change...that's how I was pinpointing the heat source. Not sure if that feature is really needed or not, but just thought I'd mention that. If you wok & roll a big stir fry, the laser target beam will cut through the wok smoke, making a very cool Terminator 1 style laser effect !

#18 ·
Yes, the HD unit has laser targeting. They call it laser guide.

#20 ·
I'm LOLing. I took my race Evo on a run down a local mountain a few months ago - lots of heavy braking. We lost the brakes (factory Brembos, but with stock "street" pads) about halfway down, as expected. Completed the run on the gears, not touching the brakes. When we got to the bottom fifteen minutes later, we spritzed a little water on the *rim*, not even the rotor, and it spit and boiled off. Took another half hour of cruising to cool the brakes down enough to get pedal back. The Brembo red on the calipers turned "warranty brown". :)

Brakes get hot - it's what they're *supposed* to do. They convert kinetic energy to heat, act as a heat sink, and then bleed the heat off via (primarily) convection. It is a good test of mechanical drag or wear to compare temps as you did, but your numbers are not unusual at all.

KeS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.