Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Advice Convincing Significant Other

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Car Compulsive 
#1 ·
I'm the in the market for a Ridgeline. Most likely a used 06-08. I'm sold.

However, my wife is not. She doesn't like the styling. Feels like it's "not a real truck".

She wants us to get a Tacoma Doublecab.

I'm fairly convinced that a test drive will swing her. The bigger interior is a real plus especially with 2 kids with car seats we lug around.

So here is the question. When we go to test drive which should we do first? Tacoma or Ridgeline? Better to do the Tacoma first so when we get into the Ridgeline she thinks "Whoa... look at all this room!" or the Ridgeline first so when we get into the Tacoma she thinks "Man... this is crammed!"

Thanks for the help. Fully expected some "who wears the pants" comments. I could care less if I get a Ridgeline as easily as possible.

#3 ·
Hope this helps...
I was doing the same 'convincing' about two years ago when I traded a '08 Tacoma TRD Double cab 4 X 4 for my '08 Ridgeline RTL/Nav. My wife also wasn't keen on the styling, either. But now, she is a believer. The Ridgeline ride and handling is much, much better, no comparison. And it will do all what the Tacoma will do. Far superior in the snow, too. I had the rear spring 'upgrade' done to my Tacoma (dealer TSB) and it rode so stiff that it was almost unpleasant to drive. And, you can't get factory leather, heated seats, sunroof, and power rear slider on the Tacoma, either. After she rides and drives the Honda, she get used to the looks..it'll grow on you.

#4 ·
You can't go wrong with either the RL or the Taco. However, one choice is a clear winner for normal homeowner usage, especially for a family... unless your wife likes to go rock crawling. ;)

Get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and see which one fits in the bed better too.

2013 Taco DoubleCab: 41.5 inches between wheel wells.

2013 RL: 49.5 inches between wheel wells.

See those buttons on the lower rear seat backs? They mark the spot for the child seat anchors. Go to interior: 60/40 split rear seats to see the image.
http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/interior.aspx

After 4+ years in my 2008 RTS, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
Got my 2008 RTL three weeks ago. My wife loves it as do I. With the terrible hurricane damage sustained here at the Jersey shore, this truck has proved itself as a truck! We've loaded it, reloaded it and reloaded it yet again. It got through where others couldn't. I've never been so thankful! My kids (24 and 21) both want it and my daughter (21), who has been the biggest Tacoma junkie, has changed teams totally on her own. It's a hands down victory for RL, and I test drove both.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 ·
I'm surprised she needs convincing. During the time I owned my Ridgeline I had several women ask me about it. Most commented that they wanted their husband to get one.
I don't think it matters which one you look at first, you will probably go back and do a second look anyway. Make sure you cover all the features (trunk, foldup rear seats etc...). But then really focus on the rear seat area. Compared to the Ridgeline, the Tacoma screams 80's economy car in the back.
I can't really put my finger on why, but that was my first thought when I looked in the cabin of the Taco.

#8 ·
Great advice!
Probably the Tacoma first and then the piece de resistance, the Ridgeline.
My SO didn't care for the looks of the Ridgeline but when she saw the swing tailgate, trunk, and experienced the space inside... she was sold.
Now whenever we go on long trips she always comments on the great, comfortable, safe ride we experience in it. We always loved to travel and now we really love to travel.
The look has grown on her and it is a non issue now, in fact she likes the look of it.

#9 ·
Will this be your car or hers? If it will be yours then put your foot down and hers buy her flowers...

#21 ·
If it will be yours then put your foot down and buy her flowers...
Purchase it without her knowing, place a bow on top, and "surprise" her with her gift.
And it starts:

I'm the boss.................. when the wifes not around!

I get sex whenever........................ she feels like it!

I get the last word..................................yes dear!

I wear the pants in the family...................seriously!

Good luck in your choice, but get the vehicle you want, if your the one that does the driving!......seriously! :act060:

#10 ·
And make sure the Tacoma is also the same model year. You wouldn't want to compare a brand new Tacoma with a 2008 Ridgeline since brand new cars always ride like a dream, new car smell, etc.

#12 ·
Is either vehicle available as a rental? I don't think I've ever seen them as such. But if so, it would be a great way to sort out how a particular vehicle would fit in your lifestyle... rent each for a week and see which you like best.

#14 ·
This could also be a positive - the rigidity of the hybrid frame/unibody and the increased width could also bring a sense of security, even though the Ridgeline has the turning radius of a school bus. :) I still drive off the edge of my driveway's turnaround that was designed around my builder's crew cab, long bed Silverado.

#15 ·
Divorce her and buy whatever the heck you want...if her divorce lawyer leaves you with any money, that is....:act024:

Seriously, I would go Taco then RL on the test drives. When you are in the RL, note how good the ride and handling are. Show her the trunk, fold up seats, and all the safety features. Tell her the bed is wide enough to lay a 4x8 sheet of drywall/sheetrock flat on the floor (it will make it easier for you to do those weekend maintenance projects). Make sure to note that the RL has a 5 start safety rating (which is important when driving the family around) and is rated as one of the safest trucks on the road today...you know, work that maternal thing as much as you can....:act024:

#16 ·
My wife wanted one since the 2006's came out. I finally got one a few months ago(used 2007) and she drove it home and kept it for a couple of days before relenting and going back to her mini van.

I agree with keeping the years the same on the test drive and let her drive it. The wife loves the trunk and the room in the back for the grandkids.

I went to the annual car show last weekend and sat in the back of a Tacoma and there is less room in the back. Forget the Frontier as it is even tighter in the back.

Also, the Toyota is probably going to be more expensive.

If she drives it, she will love it.

#19 · (Edited)
I forgot to add that I agree the Ridgeline is ugly. It was conceived ugly, born ugly, and is still ugly even though it is now "6 feet tall, 250 pounds, and still hasn't hit puberty". My very first impression was that it was ugly the first time I ever saw one, though perhaps not as ugly as the original Dodge Neon. That hasn't changed, but somehow you get used to it to the point you no longer notice it [often]. It actually becomes quite handsome in a strange way.

#20 ·
Purchase it without her knowing, place a bow on top, and "surprise" her with her gift.

Win-win

#29 ·
I personally thought the RL was pretty ugly the first time i saw it and never in a million years would have considered it. After 3 years of in and out of the Jeep dealership with my Unlimited Wrangler I needed to find a replacement vehicle. I looked at every vehicle under the sun and once I actually looked at and test drove the RL I was sold! It's beyond practical, drives great and with the EXL offers the right amount of "class". The look of the RL took some getting use to but its really grown on me. I'm only 3 weeks into ownership but if I don't have to spend time at the shop over the next few years I'll be a life long RL owner!

#27 ·
My wife generally has a poor sense of direction, except when it comes to yard sales. She was sold on the 'practicality' of the truck.

#28 ·
My dad has a 2011 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4x4. After he got it I was in love with it, and that was pretty much the only truck I wanted. I could see nothing wrong with them at all besides the price of them.

I looked at a RL just because it was at a dealer and thought it had a nice design. For fun I climbed in the back seat and was amazed how much more comfy it was over the Tacoma. The front seemed more "refined" than the Tacoma. I would compare the interior of my Dads Tacoma to the 01' Ranger he replaced. It was very dated and was made much more evident by the RL.

The final straw for me was that I was able to buy a fully loaded every option RTL for what I could get a extended cab Tacoma for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.