Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Show/Tell us what you are haulin'

523K views 1K replies 517 participants last post by  RedRyder 
#1 ·
Let's have this thread be for what we are hauling with our Ridgelines. The poster who put an unbelievable amount of drywall and other items in their Ridgeline inspired me to start this thread.

Pictures are of course welcomed and encouraged. :D

I haven't hauled anything major in the bed or trunk. Just put a cooler full of Gatorade to take to the range for the SWAT team. Then took the cooler out of the trunk and stuffed it full of medical equipment and entry vests while we went to dinner. I know there are folks out there with better stories than that.

So let's hear about it!

#1,084 ·
Here's what the railroad ties were for, making a parking spot for a trailer. Which I bought yesterday. Just have to plant grass along the side there yet.

I'm slightly worried about theft as it's sitting behind my fence along the alley. I got a coupler lock but it would still be easy to chain up and pull away. I'm thinking about setting rebar in concrete to chain it to.

#1,085 ·
So the GVRW on my trailer is 2990, with a load limit of 2390. How cautious should I be of that load limit? I'm sure there's much more knowledgeable people on here than me so correct me if I'm wrong but here's my thinking. With a max load of 2990 going down the road at highway speed bumps and dips in the road bouncing the trailer will create down force momentarily making the load much heavier which may be equivalent to for all I know a 5,000 pound load . The trailer is designed to handle this I assume. I think what I'm getting at is static vs dynamic load rating. I wouldn't exceed the limit normally but If I needed to move something heavier, say 4000, for a low speed short distance would it be a bad idea? I guess the only other concern would be weight distribution on the wood plank floor.

#1,087 ·
You really can tow a load that is at the documented limits for the Ridgeline. Pay attention to all of the limits -- hitch tongue weight, individual axle weights, gross weights and weight balance of the trailer (ratio of trailer weight to hitch tongue weight, which should be about 10%).

Bouncing and swaying may be an issue for trailers that carry a lot of weight (even if well balanced) near the ends, rather than near the axles. Poor aerodynamic design may also produce sway. For this reason, some people who tow trailers with electric brakes (rather than surge brakes) will elect to disregard Honda's advice and will proceed to install a weight distribution hitch. As long as it's not set to more than a few hundred pounds, paying careful attention to front axle weight, most people trying this have reported great success.

There is also anti-sway gear that one can use, without the weight distribution component. I'll let those with more expertise horn in here. I can say that 3000 lbs is well within the Ridgeline's capability. Probably your bigger issue will be wind resistance if you tow a tall, flat-faced trailer.

#1,089 ·
A ton of wood Pellets for the Pellet stove;

8 bags in the well/trunk .
5 bags in the footwell of the passangers front seat.
20 bags in the rear seat footwell area. (seats folded up)
17 in the bed of the RL.

50 bags @ 40 lbs. a pop

Twice yestrerday= two tons total.
cost per ton in Ct 300.00 ..........Got a deal 2 ton for 560.00

Every bag loaded into the basement of the house through the Bilco's
7 steps from grade to the basement floor level....
UGH.....
Every bag got touched twice!!..... uhh.... that does not sound right ,, ha ha

#1,090 ·
I know how my lower back would be feeling today if I'd done that yesterday!

#1,095 · (Edited by Moderator)
Awhile ago but took her to the Home Depot as our bigger truck was already loaded for a job. Believe it or not, it's packed with just about everything needed to insulate and enclose a front porch. The guys helping load were like "ya right.". Lol. The windows and doors and a couple other items came in the next load. It's heavier than it looks!

[edit: fixed the image rotation for you..]

#1,098 ·
It's great to see all the cool stuff that everyone is towing. I've towed our camper numerous times. But more often I'm towing our Boy Scout Troop trailer or cargo trailer plus the precious cargo of 4 boy scouts plus all their stuff in the bed, sometimes piled high (I can't see thru the trailer anyways). My 07 Ridge performs fine and returns decent fuel economy especially when compared to other troop vehicles that get a few mpg less. My Ridge is approaching 6 years old and 105K miles and I hope to keep it going strong as it's the only vehicle I've ever owned where I didn't tire of it after 5 years or so.

#1,099 ·
Hauled a little over 1100 lbs. of flooring home last night, plus treads/risers for stairs, trim, some other odds and ends, myself, and with my helperr, I am sure we were right at, if not slightly over, the 1520 lb. hauling limit. Handled it like a champ. Barely even noticed it.

I've hauled a lot of stuff the last couple of weeks, as we are doing some small remodeling jobs around the house. Tile, flooring, painting, and that kind of thing. I had to run to a local lumber place to pick up a couple sheets of 1/2 in plywood. The guy who was helping me load said, "OK, do we need to put these in sideways to fit...or something like that?" I said, "Nope...there's 49" between the wheel wells, so they will slide right in". He said, "No way..." and proceeded to slide the sheets right in. He thought that was really "cool". I proceeded to give him the nickle tour and he said, "Wow, this is really nice...what is it?"

Yeah, nice job advertising, Honda. :act064:

#1,100 · (Edited)
Yes - the sheets of plywood and drywall slide right in. Limited to 8 footers tho. In that Home Depot load I had a bunch if 3/4" pressure treated plywood towards the bottom. That stuff is heavy but necessary to properly close in the insulation on the underside of the porch in our climate. Not the best solution, but a cheap way for folks to add enclosed spaced for a mudroom. Here's those materials put to work!

Attachments

#1,102 ·
A couple of pics from Fall 2012. I didnt get any pics of the flat trailer full of seed pallets, but I have hauled 3 pallets of seed on this trailer with the Ridge before. I also attached a scale ticket for proof. Almost 10,780 on this trip. I have been over 11K before. Gross weight of over 17K.

Attachments

#1,104 ·
And no pictures? You've been around here long enough to know better!

#1,106 ·
1500 lbs of limestone tiles. I had 1200 lbs yesterday and never felt the suspension bottom at 65mph over a twisty/bumpy Mexican highway. Today it bottomed twice, which tells me they really did design it for that much load. I'd be happier in general with the truck if it had about 15% higher spring rate, but it worked fine, good ride and very stable. I aired the tires up to 36F/38R from my normal 34 all around.

KeS