Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Oil Consumption

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WNY PAT 
#1 ·
I have a question for you guys, I have had 2 RL's a 2007 and a 2010. On both of these trucks my oil consumption between oil changes was minuscule. I now own a 2011 Pilot (I know, I hated to trade... needed the extra passenger space and the neighborhood prohibited trucks too!!!)

My problem is that this vehicle is using at least a quart or more between oil changes ( about 7k to 8k by the MM). What is everyone's experience on the newer trucks. This Pilot has over 42K miles, and I traded the 2010 RL at just over 30K.

Any ideas, is this normal for the newer motors? CSIMO any ideas?

#2 ·
Despite what others may tell you all engines burn oil. If they didn't then the indicated oil level would actually increase over time due to the addition of dirt and other contaminants.

They've shortened piston skirts and changed the piston rings in an attempt to lower friction in the newer engines. I've heard some references to cold engine piston slap, but not higher oil consumption.

I can't remember what Honda considers "normal" oil consumption, but I know it's a very high amount (1 quart per thousand miles rings a bell, but I can't say for sure).

Some engines burn more oil than others but I don't consider that in itself a direct indication of engine life. I'm approaching 170,000 miles on my Ridgeline and I use about 1/2 quart (indicated) between oil changes (about 7500 miles). I'm happy with that. If I saw my oil use significantly increase I'd get rid of it as fast as I could (same with a significant drop in MPG).

In your case a quart per 7500 miles is not unreasonable... although I'd watch it carefully.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I too found the amount used between oil changes excessive compared to my experienced with the RL.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it gets worst, I may need to take alternative actions.

#5 ·
Csimo - I also seem to recall Honda saying that 1qt per 1000 miles as acceptable. Me personally? No way would I think that was normal, and would be screaming about getting it fixed.

Halfcar609 - Your neighborhood doesn't allow trucks? Did you have it rigged up for commercial use? (signs, ladder rack, etc)? Because if it were stock -- WTF? That would never fly anywhere in Texas...

Chip H.

#6 ·
The GM 3.6 engine is nortorious for high oil consumption causing oil starvation and timing chain failure. GM's solution was to shorten the scheduled oil change mileage.

Many folks in southern Florida used to live in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states where no truck or full-size van rules were acceptable means of excluding vehicles used for burglaries or owned by low income persons.

#8 ·
My 2011 Pilot has not burned any oil to date and neither has the RL. My 2007 Sierra DID burn oil at a rate I was not happy with (quart every 1500 miles or so). As Cismo said, manufacturers will perform oil consumption analysis at the dealers. The GMC dealer asked me to return every 500 miles, I would have to park it for 15 minutes and then they would check it. GM's opinion was that mine was normal consumption but would not extend my warranty on pollution control system / sensors , catalytic so at 80K miles I traded it in. The only way I'd buy another GM truck is if I needed a diesel for the business and their was the cheapest. Otherwise, thanks but no thanks. The GMC cylinder deactivation system (AFM) is believed to be the culprit and usage increases when towing and during highway trips at higher speeds. I could actually smell the oil burning after I would stop if I had a trailer hooked up. Disappointed to say the least....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.