Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Transfer assembly fluid change

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 · (Edited)
What have you guys found that works well to get the hypoid gear oil into the transfer assembly during a change?

I normally just squish the bottle as best I can and can fill it ok, but I need to start with a full quart bottle to do so. I find much past 1/2 quart is hard to get out of the bottle in that position.

So I just make sure I always have a full bottle before I begin and pour the remainder of one change into the bottle of another so as to have another full bottle for my next change.. ie, 3 changes out of 2 bottles, which leaves me with 1/2 quart I can't use until I get another bottle.

Now this is cheap fluid, so no big deal, but it would be nice to be able to drain the bottle and get two changes out of one quart container, if possible.

So what do you guys use for this? Turkey baster?

#2 ·
I squeeze the bottle too, I use 2 bottles once and put the reminder in one bottle for the 3rd use. I guess that we will always need a 1/2 bottle left over to do this with.

#8 ·
That looks like the gallon pump I use for VTM-4 fluid.

#12 ·
Thanks. Will have to check that out.

#13 ·
I'll probably use synthetic for the tranfer box. More synthetic in more places where Honda does not call out a Honda specific can't be a bad move and the cost is quite low considering the small quantity. May not be a crtical location, but it is still a vital link the 'chain'.

#15 ·
I just saw this thread speed, you can go to lowes and buy a tube, probably $0.16 a foot or so, you may need about 5 feet or less, it does not need to be longer than the distance from the fill hole to the front bumper, what it does is allow you to squeeze the bottle even not having the bottle higher than the fill hole to get the oil in there. I had one of those hydrapack water hydration bags, the bag leaked and the valve leaked too. I just cut it connect it to the tip included with the bottle and made my life a lot easier.

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks Al. That reminds me I need to get that for my upcoming B136 i plan to do at 30k miles. I think there's a pump that fits the quart bottles of hypoid gear oil. I'll try that and see how it works first. I should have a couple of months before I get to that point though.

#17 ·
I'm gonna be doing this quite soon myself. I can't remember, does the transfer case take less than a quart of gear oil? I'll look for a pump at the auto parts store, but if I can't find one that works, I'll likely just shove the bottle in there and squeeze. I might go with the turkey baster route, too.

#18 ·
Yes it takes just a bit short of half of quart. And if you put synthetic, specially if it is Royal purple it is recommended to do 2 drains and fills. That little clear hose worked great for me, it takes longer than the pump but it is less than $1.20

#19 ·
Yeah, I just squish the bottle up and squeeze the gear lube in. I can only get about a half bottle in that way... which is why I'm looking for that gear lube pump. It's best to start with a full bottle when doing it the squish way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.