Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Replacing all 4 struts on 06 RT Ridgeline

142K views 212 replies 59 participants last post by  feetdry 
#1 ·
OK I am throwing it out there.........and I did do a search although my searching skills might suck.
Does anyone have instructions they can post on how to replace all 4 struts on an 06 Ridgeline? I bought Monroes ($210 for all 4 after rebate) and will be installing with them with the help of a very mechanical neighbor. My mechanical skills are crap so I at least want to have instructions to make the job as easy as possible or in case we get stuck somewhere along the journey. As always your kick butt assistance will be greatly appreciated. ROC on!

#2 ·
Front struts:

Rear:

#5 ·
Good point.

Front strut expanded view:

Disassembly:

Reassembly:

Rear strut expanded view:

Disassembly:

Reassembly:

#7 ·
Monroes have never been my 1st choice, but interested in how these work out, but more importantly how they hold up over time.

#10 ·
Thanks, I haven't heard anything bad about Monroe, but then again I haven't needed to replace struts, ever. My RL is about the same age as the OP's and the roads I drive are pretty well pot-holed so perhaps I may need to replace mine soon. Time to begin the research.

#12 ·
Most comments I've read over different forums support Monroe as an adequate shock (along with Garbriel) for OEM replacement. The most common complaint was a relatively short life. Since I have a while before replacing mine, I will be anxious to read the feedback as well, as time goes on.

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/e-Catalog

#14 ·
Here's a Youtube video about strut replacement on an Accord:

#15 ·
Me? I'm waiting for the Bilsteins to come out for the RL. ;)

#17 ·
I see NAPA has struts for the RL at nearly half the price of the KYB assemblies. But I think they're Monroes.

#18 ·
That is the Monroe part number. 72343 for the right side front and 72398 (same part for both sides) for the rears. I am still waiting to get mine put on and report back. They are sitting in my garage but my mechanic friends have all been busy. Anybody in the Annapolis area want to help me? The pay is great.............case of beer. I dont have the knowledge/skills/tools to do it myself but I would be an excellent helper.

#19 · (Edited)
I'd probably go this route, if I needed them.
Personal choice, but choices is what it is all about.

KYB 341402 GR-2 Shock Absorber
by KYB
Be the first to review this item | Like (0)
List Price: $84.06
Price: $40.03 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $44.03 (52%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Only 2 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

Special Packaging Notice: KYB is changing the name of GR-2 shocks and struts to Excel-G. Their part numbers and outstanding performance remain the same--only the name is changing.

Attachments

#20 ·
Wonder what the differences are between the $200 strut and the $40 strut other than the p/n?

#21 · (Edited)
AFAIK, the G2 is the only after-market KYB that fits the Ridgeline. Ran into the Amazon ad by accident. Note in the ad on Speed's post the KYB ad does not say 'each' it might be for a pair which would be more accurate.

The shockwarehouse.com has a full set of KYBs for the Ridgeline for around $300. I don't know the best price for the Monroes.

#22 ·
Lot of misleading speculation in the last few posts.

The $40 part is a low Amazon price for the rear strut part number, of which you need two. The $200 is a high NAPA price for one of the front struts, of which you need one of two separate part numbers, one right and one left. Three part numbers, four struts total.

The best price I've seen for a full set of the KYBs is $339 before shipping. The best price I've seen for a full set of the Monroes is $264 before shipping. There's a $75 Monroe rebate offer valid through the end of October.

KeS

(actually that shockwarehouse price on the KYBs at $306 shipped is now the best price I've seen, nice find)

#23 ·
Well, it's always good to have options, especially when it comes to saving money. We have no way of knowing yet which shock is better, but I suspect the differences are minor if any.

#24 ·
Thanks for the clarification kevin.

#25 · (Edited)
I probably should of checked this thread before ordering OEM replacements for the rear.

One thing I realized because of this thread, is that according to the post on the first page showing the rear installation proceedure is that the manual recommends replacing the nylon lock nut. The OEM units didnt come with any (doh).

Anyone have thoughts on re-using the existing? I called 3 different dealers none stock that bolt (odd). I was only able to find grade 8,8 metric lock nuts, id prefer using a higher grade 10.9 ... over thinking it?

sorry to high jack the thread .. but its a little on topic ..maybe this info would help someone else.

Incidently i think the oe replacements come with this nut.

#26 · (Edited)
My bias against Monroe's is this old fogie's perception based on a couple of old Road & Track tests of a ~75 Volvo and Corvette. The Monroes always came out near the bottom of the heap. Of course, Bilstein & Koni were top most of the time. Others like Stax, Boge, etc. were also quite good. Gabriels usually got average ratings. No KYBs around at that time, and some of the others mentioned are not around either. Suspension tuning has come a long way in 40 years even on base vehicles.

#27 ·
Installed the Monroes today. Pretty straightforward though tedious in places. Struts came with replacement top nuts, though wouldn't hesitate to reuse the stock ones.

Fronts were simple. Rears, definitely need to disconnect the sway bar links, and both the lower strut bolt and the lower knuckle bolt to lever the control arm down far enough to extract the strut. First side rear took about a half hour to figure everything out, second was half that.

I did this at a friend's with a lift and air tools, etc. (he actually owns the spring compressor model shown in the service manual!). We didn't do anything I couldn't have done myself at home with jack stands, but it would have been a royal PITA. And I'm *really* glad I wasn't trying to restick those rear units with a lift spacer attached!

New struts and tires at 72K miles, feels like new. Sweet!

KeS

#28 ·
thanks kevin. me and a neighbor installed the monroes on the front a couple of weeks ago. wasnt too bad. it would have been hard without an impact wrench. as usual, after the first side the second side went twice as fast. my right front used to hop down the road but all that has stopped now. i also slapped on some new brake pads while were were in there. wish i would have replaced the rotors too. during the process i snapped off a wheel stud on each side! very weird. we tried to replace it last night but he didnt have the impact wrench to remove the big hub bolt so we have to have at it another day. we are going to do the rears as soon as we get some time, struts, rotors and pads.

#33 ·
Crazy all the way around. The absorber parts of the struts are less the $100 each. The entire strut assemblies for all 4 wheels can be had for less then the total for the part you listed. You can change the year and see for yourself.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?v

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.