Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Beverage Holder/Rubber Tabs Broken (TSB & Other Methods)

64K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  mjheinz82 
#1 ·
TSB attached below

Attachments

#37 ·
Re: 06-033 2006 Ridgeline Beverage Holder Tabs Broken

OK, thanks. I'll try that.

#38 ·

OK, thanks. I'll try that.
You might want to ask that poster some details.
I looked(felt)around this morning and felt only one screw from the bottom.
I did not stick my head under there.I wouldn't be able to see much anyway!:bat:

#43 ·
re: Beverage Holder/Rubber Tabs Broken (TSB & Other Methods)

They were already removed in my 06 when I got it in '10. I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but I have no desire to replace them.
I don't blame you. You can always get foam sleeves for bottles, cans, etc. if you need it.. why bother.

#46 ·

For those of you who are going to replace the black rubber I can share my experience.
I used the PDFs in this thread. Very easy, but it's an awful lot of work for very little gratification. There are four screws holding the center console in place, but to get to the front two, you have to remove the lower dash and the center plastic piece in between the lower dash and the center console. I don't think I'll bother next time they wear out. I think I'll just rip the rubber tabs out and leave it like that. I also needed to replace one of the bulbs in the seat heater switch, so I was killing two birds with one stone on this.

My tool list:
10mm socket
phillips screwdriver
dash removal tools
t15 torx bit
2 flat head screwdrivers

The PDFs in this thread tell you exactly what you need to do, but I had a few notes...
As the PDF says, you have to remove the "not an ashtray" bin in the lower dash to get to one of the three screws that hold the lower dash in. This comes out real easy, although at first I didn't get how. If you open the bin then pull out, it comes right out (see pic).

Also, the two trim pieces (driver's side is big, passenger side is small) that are hiding the other two screws on the lower dash have retention clips on one side, and just a tab on the other side (see pics). You just have to pull these plastic trim pieces apart from the lower dash, then they come right out.

Once the lower dash is off you have to remove the plastic piece that's in front of the console to expose the two screws. This piece "underlaps" the console a bit, but only 1/4". You can push the plastic piece a little towards the front of the truck until it clears the console then pull it straight up (see pic). It's just held in by two retention clips on the console side. The front part has hooks.

Attachments

#47 ·

Nicely done! BTW, I noticed the 'broken' tab on my holder has a mylar film on the underside also. I ordered a spare retainer and noticed they are made the same way.
I don't know if the mylar is an improvement over earlier years, regardless, they still break!

Thanks again for the photos.

#48 ·

105k and mine are pretty decent. I think I have a Wednesday build after the Tuesday raise.

#49 ·

To get to the two rear screws that are holding the center console, you have to pry off the back piece of the console where the rear vents, power outlet, and floor light are. I would suggest getting it started down low near the carpet and work your way around releasing the retention clips. The retention clips are AT AN ANGLE. They have to be pulled UP & OUT at an angle heading toward the rear window. There are a bunch of tabs all around the back piece that hold it in place when it's attached. They break easily. There's one connector that needs to be unplugged. The other can be left connected and the piece can just lay down flat on the floor.

Once the console is out, its pretty easy to seperate the sliding part from the rest of the console. I used a zip tie to hold the button down and two flat heads to push the tabs down while pulling it apart with my third hand.

Also, the PDF says theres 6 Torx screws, but I had 7 in mine....two at the back, and five near the cup holders. You need a t15 torx bit to remove.

This is probably overkill for such an easy job, but the few tips in here might prevent someone from breaking a plastic trim piece or hopefully at the very least shave some time off the whole thing.

Attachments

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks for the information. Is this PDF all I need. I noticed a reference to the 2006 Owner's manual pages 20-75 but having trouble find that. :act064:
This is a more recent thread on the subject, like in the last month, and someone took some good photos on the procedure they used.
I only have one broken tab, so not quite in a big hurry to fix it myself, but did pick up the replacement.

Moderator Note: Threads Merged

#52 ·

If you only have 1 or 2 broken tabs I wonder if you can double up and put 2 stacked holders in there? Should last even longer, maybe...?

#53 ·

So, has anybody had this done as a "goodwill" gesture? I asked my service guy at my Honda garage if they would do it as a goodwill thing, he looked at the estimate and said, "No way". He said he would split the cost with me, but I just told him I would take care of it myself.

#59 ·

Lol, I was just goofing around, just playing on the news I hear all the time about how fat and addicted to supersized fast food meals all of us Americans are.

not minimizing anyones issue with this.

The front inserts on my 2006 are all good, I typically have a can of pop or one of those small bottle of pop in them.

#63 ·
I know this is an old post, but has anyone noticed that the 07 Accord cup holder appears to be the same shape, but is the more modern type with mechanical tabs? I wonder if instead of replacing with the OEM foam part, one could completely replace the cup holders under the console cover with this unit (you'd still have to take it all apart, but at least it would look better and might last longer). http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-...07-accord-se-2793945/#PhotoSwipe1441541929898 Also, the Chevy Tahoe has rubber cup holder inserts that appear to be the same shape. Has anyone tried those?

#64 ·

I've always like the idea of a soft but sturdy rubber/foam ring the cup sets into. Not the thin fingers that get stressed at the base.
I have not found one yet, but still looking. Some of these foam cup sleeves maybe could be modified to work that way.
The Accord and GM nubs are certainly looking more robust. I don't know what they were thinking about when designing ones for the Rigdeline. More likely stamped out thin foam sheets were cheaper and more conducive to easy installation when the console is bolted together. Pretty hair-brain really.

#67 ·

Whoa...this thread is a blast from the past.

I never did respond to this thread...but, as an update, I did do the tab replacement myself on this. Got the replacement rubber tabs off Amazon for fairly cheap...less than $10 shipped to my front door, if memory serves. Not a hard job, just one of those fiddly jobs that tests your patience a bit. If you are in a hurry...don't attempt this...allot yourself a couple hours, from the time you start to the time you put your tools away, anyway.

#68 ·

Guys - posting to let you know this can absolutely be done without taking the center console out.

My steps were:
Zip tie the button open
Slide the unit forward
Push in the two clips underneath
Slide the unit a little further forward
Remove 5 screws from the underside (use a small mirror if needed); no need to remove the rear two screws
Pull the two pieces apart enough to to remove the old tab unit
Replace
Reverse prior steps
Done in about half an hour...!

#79 ·

Guys - posting to let you know this can absolutely be done without taking the center console out.

My steps were:
Zip tie the button open
Slide the unit forward
Push in the two clips underneath
Slide the unit a little further forward
Remove 5 screws from the underside (use a small mirror if needed); no need to remove the rear two screws
Pull the two pieces apart enough to to remove the old tab unit
Replace
Reverse prior steps
Done in about half an hour...!
I'll be doing mine next weekend, hopefully be as easy as you make it sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.