40K views 111 replies 41 participants last post by  alexander 
#1 ·
here a peek at a Turbo Charge Ridgeline

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
STS Universal Kit

#5 ·
Looking for a dyno shop down here in Hawaii, that has a AWD or 4WD unit.

Cost about $7,000 -- allot of custom piping was done and injector change, powder coating,

Took about 4 1/2 weeks to complete at STS dealer.

#7 · (Edited)
WHAT! Am I missing something here? Are you racing the truck and hope to recoup the investment with cash and prizes? I'm not Warren Buffet, but damn - what a waste of valuable time and money. While many of the cosmetic and audio mods also seem like a silly waste of resources to me, at least they can be enjoyed by the eyes and ears. A $7,000 turbo charger for a $28,000 truck? And in Hawaii no less. How far can you drive in Hawaii before you have to turn around and go back the other way? California desert, maybe. But Hawaii?

#6 ·
Please post more information and a lot more pictures. Any data would be helpful. Posting a picture with a 8 word descrilption of something we have never seen is like posting a blurry picture of a UFO or Bigfoot and claiming it is real.

I'm not trying to be critical or implying anything, I just want more info.

#9 · (Edited)
But you're wrong - it is our business now. He made it our business with the post. He posted the message expecting comments. And we are all entitled to respond with comments and questions - positive, negative, neutral. That's what forums are for. I sincerely want to know - what is the point of spending 4 1/2 weeks and $7,000 to turbo charge a Honda Ridgeline? Maybe I'll decide to do it too if I understand the value! Maybe it's just his hobby and he has the cash and time to indulge himself. I completely understand that - it's called passion. So perhaps I should state my question a different way so as not to offend: Is this just an expensive mod to do just because you have the passion, money, and time - or is there another reason?

#10 ·
its power...knowing that he has it and know one knows that he has it on the street, unless he let the other know that he has it.. Have fun with it...that will be one kick butt sleeper truck :D

#12 ·
There are many people that have money "to burn." If you were to talk to my wife, she would say I've spent way too much for my RL (past the purchase price). I could see where someone may come to the conclusion that all the "extra" expense of time and money is not worth it. My position is if it makes you happy and does not send you to the poor house then, go for it. I was committed to getting the CompTech SC but with the sad news of their closure, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

#14 ·
very interesting experiment I guess - is there more than whats pictured ?, I dont see 7K there.

And how do you plan to tune it ? apex vafc ?

Do you plan to still use it like a truck or keep it solely to the streets ?

Do you have assurances from the installers ? - theres alot of heavy and extremely hot pieces there hanging on by less than perfect welds and flanges.

I 'm not trying to be negative I just dont happen to think this is a good application for there kit, so get some tuning and drive it for awhile and get back with an update.

#16 ·
If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice a few disturbing things that should NOT be associated with a production-type Turbo install kit; unless of course that this truck is setup as a prototype.

1) Turbo mounted under vehicle. Remember folks, this is a 4WD vehicle. Mounting this unit under the truck reduces any original clearance that Honda engineered into your truck (in the event that you'll be taking your RL off-roading). In addition, any of those vent tubes or vacuum hoses can be snagged by road debris. The wastegate is definitely a problem and has no business down that low.

2) Existing heat shield for cat should be removed and a new larger one installed to prevent excessive heat during idle soak.

3) Anyone who knows about turbos also knows that heating up the charge air is the worst thing to do for performance. This installation proves that even if the system possesses an intercooler upstream of the turbo, it will not serve much purpose in city driving.

4) As with all performance upgrades, our trucks have NOT been designed for an extra jolt in power. Specific components need beefing up as does the cooling system. Study any production vehicle that also came in an optional turbo trim and you'll discover that there are numerous engineering enhancements that are added to the turbo-charged vehicle; better braking systems included!

5) Shall we talk about emissions? Let's not.....:rolleyes:

Other than the above, I'd love to see this baby smoke!!!:eek:

Attachments

#18 ·
ANDY
STS turbos "claim to fame" is the out of engine turbo.

I always wondered how they handle water and other issues. I am guessing they tell you very clearly that it is no longer for off road use. Hopefully:) I still wonder how it handle everyday water and debri.

For me the all wheel drive was a bonus, and would not have purchased if was not standard. I see many others making this solely a street machine.

I can't wait for the review on this, mostly out of curiosity, since I will really be waiting for the turbo diesel which will have all the things you mentioned and then be "easy" to tune.:D

#20 ·
Some people just need to stay in the slow lane and stop blocking traffic.

It's a cool item but I also wonder how it would handle a heavy rain or something in the road. I suppose "skid plates" could be created but that setup would make me nervous. I'd be checking it everytime I heard a rock bounce up under the truck. LOL The first time I saw this was on a Mustang and thought that's great add a ton of weight and heat near the gas tank.

I would love to get updates on how the tranny is holding up. I woulding worry about cooling because the truck was designed for towing, unless you are using it for a truck pull. lol (That would be cool BTW)

#21 · (Edited)
ANDY
STS turbos "claim to fame" is the out of engine turbo.
By this, I assume you mean "out of engine bay"?;)

For me the all wheel drive was a bonus, and would not have purchased if was not standard. I see many others making this solely a street machine.
Imagine how many ponies you can recuperate from the RL by eliminating the transfer case and front differential as well as weight hungry driveshafts,modules and sensors. Had I been looking for straight-line performance, I would have maybe opted for a RWD pick-up rocket like the Chevy SS454 or the Ford F150 SVT lightning.:eek: :D

Attachments

#31 ·
Wow! It must be really hard to light. ;)
Seriously though.
Still, that's a lot of fish. Do you sell some, or donate it? I've always wondered about that when I've seen pics of huge fish.
Is it legal to sell it to a sushi bar, or the like?

#37 ·
hey snapshot you have unleashed the turbo monster in my hubby...now when he gets to drive my rl i get the "if we had turbo i coulda pulled out", or "if we had turbo, I'd already be at the top of this hill", or "if we had turbo....(pulling trailer w/atv plus the marlin carcass and marlin filet chunks and 50lbs of ice plus the other 50 lbs that melted)...pulling this would be like pullin nothing...
you get the picture right? hahahhaa we could only dream! so much more fun now imagining things....we are having a blast with it....big mahalo !

#41 ·
Dumb question, but does anyone know for sure whether or not the stock drivetrain in the Ridge is up to the increased torque gained with a blower?
BTW;
Comptech is definitely closed. I didn't find much "official" info, but there's a lot of griping and crying on message boards.

#44 ·
Edit - I saw a page on their website that said they were going out of business but can't find it anymore. Their warranty page is now gone though. I'm going to call them back tomorrow to see if anything has changed. Maybe they were bought out by Honda or someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.