Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Warning triangle and VSA light turning on when i turn wheel to the right..HELP!!!

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
This is my first post, I hope someone out there can help. I just added steering wheel controls to a 2007 RT that work fine but after the install (and disconnecting the battery a few times) I am getting the VSA an ! triangle on the cluster. When the vehicle is started all the warning lights clear and then just by turning the wheel only about 1.5 turns clockwise causes the lights to com on. When in motion and turning to the right the ! triangle flashes sometimes, sometimes makes some mechanical noise in the drive train and the lights come on constant. There are no abs or brake warning lights coming on when this happens. I checked plugs and other button functions and have no solutions yet. I added backup sensors to the Ridge and at one point had the rear right wheel jacked up off the ground and the ignition on if could have anything to do with it... All plugs and wires look correct and everything seems in order. What could it be

#2 ·
I don't have an answer other than you've introduced several variables with the steering wheel change. I suggest you revert to stock and find out if the issue is related to the steering wheel change or not. Until then there are too many variables involved.

The issue may be entirely unrelated to the changes you made.

#3 ·
Make sure the clock wheel sensor (Reminds me of a measuring tape) is connected and working correctly. It is the device that tells the stability system the steering wheel position so that it can calculate what the VSA needs to do.

If so, you will need to do what csimo recommended.

#4 ·
Well, I'm not sure what all is involved with add steering wheel controls to an RL but if you did actually have to switch the steering wheels then I woulld have to agree with MikeT. It sounds like it could be an issue with the "clock spring" and I would verify that it is installed correctly.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I figured it out, the clockspring was fine. The issue was that when the wheel was installed back on the shaft the the steering angle sensor/ turn signal release switch had moved just enough to misalign itself from the wheel. The alignment collar is spring loaded and got pressed by the steering wheel notches not lining up and when I turned the wheel the first time the wheel went 180 degrees till it all lined back up and snapped into place. Basically I had to rotate the steering wheel angle sensor back to where it was which took a lot of counting rotations, till the vsa light came on, from right to left. Kinda hard to explain so message me if you are having the same problem. Maybe I can help?

#6 ·
Interesting, thanks for posting your solution!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.