Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Take this Prop Rod and shove it!

7K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  exA4 
#1 · (Edited)
It ain't working here no more! Thanks FIGS. Easy install, about 20 minutes, with standard tools. Might have taken 15 but I actually read the directions this time. Great product, big time recommendations. Jim

See less See more
#8 ·
Hey, no prob!

I actually opened my hood the other day and confirmed that all of these pictures are in fact true. The Ridgeline does in fact have an engine and it does in fact live under the hood.

I felt sorry for the engine so I quickly closed the hood back though. It sees less light than an inmate on death row. I didn't want it to blind it just because I was curious. :eek:

#6 ·
It is VERY easy! You can download the instructions from FIGS webpage and review them prior to ordering. There really is nothing to it, six 10mm bolts up top and two down low and you are done. The prop cylinders just snap on. I used a rope and a bunjie cord attached to my Garage Door Opener's overhead support to take the weight of the hood off the hinges during installation and BAM it was done. I really can not think of a more simple mod for my Ridgeline that will be as convenient as this one. Heck If you lived close to me I'd do yours....probably in less than 15 minutes now that I have done mine. In fact any one in the Indianapolis area that needs help installing this kit PM me and I'll give you a hand. It's so easy a CAVEMAN could do it!!! Jim

#7 ·
Very nice. I Googled Figs but didn't find it. How about a linky?

#12 ·
Thanks for the link.

#13 ·
I notice there is a two year warrany against defects.

What if in two years, they just don't work anymore and have weakened to the point they won't hold the hood up anymore? can you recharge them? How long "should" they last for, in theory?

#21 · (Edited)
Thats my exact concern.

Anytime you install something totally custom that takes wear it will eventually fail. I've dealt with failing struts on various hatchbacks, no fun. I don't want a heavy truck hood falling on my cranium.

And if there are no replacements you are SOL. Not like you can run to AutoZone and get 2 replacement hydraulic struts.

This item isn't cheap either, a $150 + investment according to the site. And no telling how much 2 replacements would be with shipping. And then what about 2 years more down the road?

A very cool mod but just to replace a prop rod? :act006:

I'd rather put my money towards an exhaust or K & N.

Also I would have never known these were made had I not clicked on this topic. Perhaps better marketing would help and a renamed topic. :act062:

#15 ·
I did a search for this because yhe forum I use for my wife's new Xterra had a mod like this. It was cheaply done, but effective. I like FIGS much better. The solid mounting points and height adjustable by the three holes is great. I have to get this ordered.

#16 ·
I know I'm contributing to the resurrection of a dead thread, but was interested in these. eBay link is dead. Not in Honda club store. Are these still available? Last price I saw was a GB at $105-ish as an election special.

Are these still being produced? Where to get? How much? For the guys that bought in '08 are the struts still good? Are they (the struts) standard size to replace?

Questions, questions, questions.......

#17 ·
Here's the link to the website. You'll have to contact them to see if they're still making the hood props for the Ridgeline

http://www.figsprops.com/

#20 ·
So far no one seems to have a problem. I would think unless you are using them all the time they should last a very long time. I don't even open the hood more than a couple a times a month, average, and then it's usually to check fluid levels which only takes a few minutes at most.

#22 · (Edited)
Apparently you guys never had a vehicle that came with hydraulic assist.

These are nothing new to the industry the only "custom" parts are the brackets. If the lifters wear our you can buy them sooooo many places. I bought my last set of replacements for my jeep off of amazon. But could have gone to autozone

The easiest way for these to fail is not to use them. If you don't open the trunk or in this case, the hood, the hydraulics will fail prematurely.

#23 ·
Apparently you guys never had a vehicle that came with hydraulic assist.

These are nothing new to the industry the only "custom" parts are the brackets. If the lifters wear our you can buy them sooooo many places. I bought my last set of replacements for my jeep off of amazon. But could have gone to autozone
I believed the included struts were custom fabbed (best of luck finding stainless replacement struts btw). If they are some standard size then no problem. Still its an expense that is totally unnecessary IMHO.

I'll never have to replace my prop rod unless it rusts out. ;act028:

#25 ·
I bought a set of these off a forum member. They didn't line up right (maybe why he sold them) I got new bolts and re-drilled holes 1/4" off and they've worked great. PITA but all good in the end. Easily a worthwhile expense. The rod is like taping 5 popsicle sticks together for a motorcycle kickstand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.