Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Ridgeline SQ Audio Build - Vancouver, Canada

28K views 169 replies 18 participants last post by  juiceweazel 
#1 · (Edited)
For those that are interested, I have been busy updating the audio system in my 2006 Ridgeline and I created a link to those who want to see how the build is going, but the DiYMA site has some restrictions on posting pics to non-members. I'll get pics up on this site very soon! I am about halfway through the build so far.
Please give me some input or suggestions on this SQ highlight install.
Thanks, JJ (Lunchbox12)

#127 ·
Great thanks!
That crossed my mind too, it is sad that some pop starts making 200 times more money than some jazz artists would be cheap in that area, maybe it is a business where the producers just use a cheap option and the artist does not have a choice in the package even though the artist is paying almost top dollar.

Every once in a while I hear some really good ones.

#128 ·
Yes, ultimately the artist is the one paying for it, even though the record company advanced them money on future sales, they also expect the artist to pay for all the expenses, too.

Chip H.

#130 ·
Yes, ultimately the artist is the one paying for it, even though the record company advanced them money on future sales, they also expect the artist to pay for all the expenses, too.
Sorta.

IME, typically artist points only cover production and marketing - it varies from label to label and contract to contract, but that's the general average. The biggest problem with modern recording budgets isn't that the labels don't care / don't want to make great recordings, it's that sales are so poor the average recording budget has been slashed to a fraction of what it once was (as most artists never recoup their initial recording costs). Illegal downloading has massacred the industry, no question - but the desire to make great sounding records is still there.

The issue of the so-called 'loudness war' certainly doesn't help things, but it's not a lack of desire from the labels - it means we have fewer 'great sounding recordings' now. Limiting the life out of a track so it's 'louder' is relatively pointless, but it happens constantly

Ultimately, the reality is the consumers don't care about stealing music enough to educate themselves on what copyright infringement actually is. Every time someone steals a track instead of paying for it, it's one more attack on the entertainment industry, which not only hurts the artists (most of which are NOT millionaires, despite the image often portrayed) but also many times more other people who work in the industry behind the scenes (like me).

#129 ·
Well I got some carpet ordered that I hope will look good, and I did a black finish on the top of the box that actually turned out pretty good. I coated the top with rattle can bed liner. Somewhat textured. Then coated over that with plastidip. That toned down the texture and gave it a nice semi flat finish that matches the black on the dash. Only thing I'm not happy with is I can see some spots where I got carried away with the belt sander. I'll post pics when it's completely done.

#131 ·
CDs are so cheap these days, used ones in good shape can be bought for under $10.00 shipped. For one reason or another it never feels the same not having the art work, the color or the original hard copy, I have supported the my favorite artists at least 98% of the time buying new or used original CDs and if I copy one and like it a lot I get the original just because they are cheap and feels better. I admit I am cheap and like I mentioned before I check out CDs at the library when possible, many times they have scratches, dont work and if I don't like them I don't copy them it is that simple, and many times I have the vinyl record and if If likei it or enjoy it so much I get the CD also. Like I did In my most recent purchases, jean luc ponty individual choice and civilized evil, I paid $24.00 for the civilized evil cd used, never did that before but it is an out of print record, and I had to have it even though I have the vinyl and have a $1200 turntable that I got cheap for $250 in the 80's. :act035:

#134 ·
Beautiful job!!! Now throw some woofers in there, I want to see those cones!

#136 ·
Yeah! that box looks nice! maybe Mat should start a business building boxes like that for members. Looks like an up firing box.

lmfao party rock CD recording is not bad at all, good bass. there are some exceptions. To me Pop music is like a one night stand enjoy it for a short time then never go back to it, that is why I do not buy pop music often, I picked that CD at the library, I figured pop stars like that make enough $$$ even if it is for a short time. On the other hand my kids and wife do buy new pop cd's all the time, my daughter has a pretty large collection, most it is really not my taste. When it comes to Jazz, Fusion or some Rock, I do support the Artist and buy new, even though my wife makes fun of me when I enjoy Jazz Fusion from the 70's or from the 80's to me it never dies and I can listen to it and not get tired of it, complex yes, Like P. Metheny but it is fun during the first 25 times you listen to it to learn new things or discover new things, it tastes better the more you listen to it. I know all music moves in stages and changes with each decade even smooth Jazz changes. To me the late 80's through the 90's we had a more dynamic melodic less depressing music. The Funky talented dynamic groovy fusion from Chris Botti from the 90's is gone ( we may never hear tracks similar why not, regroovable or even Lisa that starts so smooth and mellow and becomes funky and fun as it ends) he changed for more boring type style or playing pop tracks and play with opera singers. That is the way it goes they change for one reason or another, money or the trend just changes.

#140 ·
Spent the last 2 days installing my stereo, what a PITA I think I could write a book on here about the process. Like always though I didn't take any pictures of the install. In the end It sounds great, better than I expected with a LOC and for once I managed to get it done without getting blood on everything.

#141 ·
Awesome bro! Hey a bloodless field is always nice!

#142 ·
If you don't bleed, it's not a successful project. It took me about two weeks to heal after I installed mine last spring! :)

#143 ·
After listening to my system for a few days i'm not real happy with the sound. It can go REALLY LOUD and not get distorted but it just doesn't sound right to me, it doesn't sound full. Too much highs and bass. I'll have to find some time to pull the back seat again to adjust it. I've been doing some research on how to set gains and crossovers and finally realized I don't know **** about car audio.

I'm embarrassed to say i worked at a car audio shop for years(many years ago),but 90% of what we did was remote starts. The rest was swapping tape decks for cheap Pioneer CD players or adding subs to crappy stock stereos. Thats all that came through the door. We did some SPL comp stuff and held some dbDrag comps but never really made enough money to build much of our own. I think the best we did was a 152. I never really cared for the SPL stuff though.

#144 ·
Autosound 2000 used to have their newsletters online - they were really thorough.

Their test discs (sold through Crutchfield) are good, as well. (some are better than others, but all have value).

Do you have access to an RTA?

Chip H.

#145 ·
Matt, you shouldn't have to adjust anything on the sub amp. Everything can be adjusted from the HU. Remind me which HU you have? I'm sure we could work out some settings that would boost the midrange. There's no reason with the equipment you have that it shouldn't sound great.

#146 ·
Amplifying the factory HU with different speakers may reveal some weaknesses from it.
An equalizer will help if the basic bass and treble does not give the sound we are looking for or a different set of speakers, sound deadening on the doors and properly sealing them and installing the speakers will make a difference

#152 ·
Hey Matt!
Yes, lots of new stuff...will update soon. Have been spending most time on my GTR build and the Ridgeline is mostly doing daily driver duty!
I'll be getting back from Vegas after next Wednesday and I'll post pics then! Hope things have been well with you! Happy New Year bro!
JJ

#153 ·
Is it bad that I'm actually even more interested in seeing pics of the GT-R? Dream car....

#154 ·
OK heres some pics focussing on the amprack:

Wrapped the AlpineF#1 processor in a brushed black metal metallic finish to match the TRU Technologies amp!

#155 ·
Allright IanRTL, this is for you...

Wrap job underway currently...nearly the same color as stock but in a Dark Matte Gray with Black Brushed Metal roof and accent pieces.

Last pic shows glossy original sides with matted out trunk lid to show the subtle difference. It doesn't seem like much diff, but in person the matte is quite noticeable and it automatically indicates a custom job was done. I can't explain it better than that - I didn't think it would make much of an effect, but I was wrong.

#156 ·
#157 ·
Thx bro! Here's some closer pics of roof...smae brushed black I used for the Alpine processor:

#161 ·
Haha, yeah my little buddy! She's always wanting to get involved in anything Daddy's got going on when it comes to cars!

#162 ·
That's awesome. Always great seeing the kids get involved. There's a few pics of me nearly 30 years ago in a diaper cleaning the wheel of my dad's Regal. He was teachin' me from the start! Lookin' forward to seeing more progress pics of both of your projects. I think I see a Merc in the background of one of those shots, eh?

#165 ·
Yup, good eyes, that one is wifey's. However we sold the merc last year though for a white 2dr bentley and she will not let me touch her system...yet.

#163 ·
Lunchbox12 - I think the matte wrap looks terrific as does the brushed black roof.

Please don't take offense but I must ask. Why do you want to advertise your components with decals on your back window? You have a spectacular performance car, not a Civic or Subaru. I would never put decals on a Ferrari, so why tell the world you use Dynaudio (etc.) in your GTR?

#166 ·
Thanks hofffam!
No problem regarding the decals question...When I first recieved the vehicle in April of 2012, it was among the very 1st shipment of factory ordered 2013 GTR's to get to Canada: the grey one was mine, a white one and a red one were also part of the group and those were headed to dealership owners in Ontario and Quebec. It became known that I was the only private owner of the 3 cars in that shipment and I was approached by local companies to see if I wanted to help with promotions and get deals on parts and install in an exchange for decals on my car. At first I balked at the idea, but my common sense dictated that if I were going to have a lot of modifications done, it may not be a bad idea to strike a deal to save costs. As a result, I took it upon myself to draft up a plan and have 3 areas of the car have decals (on the glass only) -- a rear window strip of sponsors and one decal each on the c-pillar window. The terms were in my favour: products were often at cost price and/or labour free or at a substantially reduced rate. In exchange I would "wear" the decals for a year, then they can be removed. The main sponsor was AJR a local tuning shop and Wrap works for the decals and current wrap. Since I was going to attend car audio shows, I asked them to include a few favourite brands on the window strip to even things out and show which brands I use and love...no sponsor money or deals for those, but it makes the AJR and Wrapworks ones blend in a bit as I wait for the year to tick away...July 2013, they come off. My savings was around $15, 500 in parts/labour. Not bad for a bunch of stickers. Now there are more 2013's around, the car is not as novel...but I get to keep all the parts/work done as a consolation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.