Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Running 93 octane vs 86

15K views 113 replies 32 participants last post by  bamf3000 
#1 ·
I normally fill up with 86 simply because of price. I live in Alabama and recently had to drive to North Carolina. Several hour drive and i noticed a big difference when I filled up with 93 vs 86. It makes a difference for long distance drives.

#82 ·
That word... premium... it must be a marketing thing. ;)

#86 ·
I typically use Shell, sometimes Chevron. I once read an article by a lube engineer who recommends switching brands now and then to get benefits from different additive packages. The idea being some might work better on specific contaminants. FWIW..maybe a cup of joe.

#87 ·
With all of the price gouging going on the ONLY time the Ridge gets better Gas is for those long trips...In-town & local driving does not show a 10-12 cent a gallon benefit...

Gas prices can bounce 5-12 cents on any given weekend around here....depending on if the college has a "home" football game $$$$$:act002:

True test will be this winter when the Ridge gets NH winter blend instead of a Florida blend...:act024::act024:

#88 ·
Not sure how it translates, but my John Deere dealer and Honda Power Equipment dealer both recommend 89 b/c of the whole Ethanol thing. Since my JD has a high end commercial Kawa engine in it and my Honda generators are GX commercial engines, I just sorta always listened to whatever they told me.

Consequently for my new RL - I've been putting 89 in it. I'll never tow with it so putting 93 probably will never happen, but I figure the extra dime/gal won't kill my wallet and if it makes the truck run smoother or somehow better its all fine and dandy to me.

#89 ·
Ethanol is in every grade of fuel. Doesn't matter what you use. They probably recommend 89 or higher due to the anti-detonation characteristics. In any smaller engine, I would always recommend treating the fuel with an ethanol treatment like the stuff from Sta-bil. My dad's leaf blower bit the dust after five years or so because he just used regular old untreated 87 in it. The ethanol began to corrode the inside of the engine and, because it sat for long periods of time, started to varnish. It gummed up everything important. Small engines these days aren't as good as they used to be and are basically disposable. My dad still has a Stihl chainsaw and weed eater that are over 30 years old and running well. The Craftsman leaf blower was chincy and cheap compared to these and it showed with its lack of longevity. My dad has now started using the Sta-bil treatment with 89 gas in everything he has.

#93 ·
I can't remember but I did read it but I do remember he said he used premium in his Ridgeline at the 2007 St. Louis Meet. I could not see doing it here in the city. I did notice a difference in long distance highway driving as to the way the truck drove using the premium fuel. I think I did get better gas mileage but again nothing to back it up with. But to me the truck just felt smother then normal. This was without any load on a full fill-up tank of premium on a extended highway trip. Premium fuel is no big thing to me because I have used it all the time in my 00 Acura TL that requires it.

#95 ·
Yep Cismo,25YHO & others were at that meet I think he said it in the meeting when viewing the early production Ridgeline film Q&A in the hotel meeting room. Then he said it again when everybody was hanging around on the upper level parking lot late night spot.

#102 ·
I would agree with speed - don't ever put anything lower than 87 in the RL. I would maybe start with the 87 for a few tanks. Then I would switch to the 91 for at least 2-3 tanks to see if there was any noticeable difference in the way the truck responds and feels and also any increase in fuel mileage. As has been said, the accepted "optimum" octane for the RL is around 90. But, if the 91 in Utah is ridiculously more expensive than the 87 and you don't see better than 1mpg of fuel mileage increase, it doesn't make any sense to constantly use the 91 - just when you're towing or hauling.

#99 ·
There's some logic there. I think picking the right fuel from the middle octane level (in your case 87) is always safe without spending more on gas than is really necessary.
The manual says 87 minimum and I believe that's meant for anywhere in the US. So it's unlikely i would ever bother with anything less than 87 no matter where I lived.
You might want to bump up to 91 if pulling a big load, etc. otherwise I'd save my money.

#103 ·
I think the elevation part of the equation is what Macinudo was asking about. Good question.

#104 ·
Everything that I have read and researched suggests that you require 1 less point in octane rating for every 1500-2000 feet above sea level. Which easily explains why premium in Utah is only 91 instead of 93.

I think you would be perfectly fine using 85 as your base and 87 if you feel that you will get better power, 91 would likely show no benefit over 87 for you and others in the Rocky Mountains.

#106 ·
I didn't know this happened, but it does make sense. I did a little research into it and, from what I was able to gather from a few online sources, the basic science behind it is that because air is less dense at higher elevations, there is less pressure at top dead center for the compression cycle. That, in turn, lowers the minimum octane rating at which a particular engine will knock. Low to mid-compression naturally-aspirated engines will be particularly susceptible to this. Also, it appears there is no set formula or table to estimate what the equivalent octane is at a given altitude. It will vary with every engine, too. Since the RL's compression ratio is normally 10 or 10.5:1 (I think), I agree with bamf3000 in that it would likely be just fine running at 85 octane in higher elevations - meaning above 5000' or so - if you would normally use 87 at lower elevations. Then again, you don't want to have the 85 in your truck when you come back down from the high elevation. If it were me, I would use the 87 octane since I use 89 here at 1000-1200' anyways. The 91 could be used for towing or hauling, but wouldn't be necessary any other time.

#105 ·
Wonder what octanes are available in Leadville, CO? (10,000 MSL)

#108 ·
If you are so broke that you can't afford an extra buck or two per fill-up, then you have bigger problems. Just buy premium gas all the time.:act060: If you have high standards, the extra investment will give you pleasing peace of mind. I'v heard that using premium can give you up to an additional 10hp but....? More octane = more power. As for an increase in milage, don't know and don't really care. I have a lead foot and not real concerned about fuel efficiency. You're sayin I can have the best for an additional 10 cents? Sounds like a no-brainer

#110 ·
How folks use their trucks, as well as how much they want to spend on gas, especially if they do long commutes, IS a factor for many owners. That will determine the octane they pick, as well as how they drive.
You have a lead foot, that's great, and the price of gas is not a factor for you, but that does not make it right for everybody.

#112 ·
There is also the misconception that higher octane is 'better' gas. I'm sure the oil companies love those consumers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.