Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Changed all the fluids on my RL with 110k...my experience

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
So I bought an 07 RTL with 109k on it. While the vehicle appears to be well maintained, I did not get the service records upon delivery. Because of this I though it will be best to catch up on some of the critical maintenance. The MM popped up 15% oil life and code A15. At this point I will be using the MM for oil changes but disregarding the other codes as I will be catching up with all the maintenance.

The coolant, brake and power steering fluids actually look pretty good so I will hold off on them for a while. I will do the coolant with the T-belt, around 120k.

So I changed the oil, ATF, transfer case fluid and VTM4. I also replaced the air filter and cabin air filter. I will change the spark plugs with the t-belt.

Oil- The oil looked dark and in need of replacement. I used Vavoline 5w20 and a new filter. No issues or surprises here. I did not replace the drain plug washer, but it does not leak.

ATF- This was dark and in need of replacement. I bought a case of DW1 and did the three step flush. Basically just drain and filled three times. Other than being time consuming this method worked great. I used a long funnel to get to the fill plug and it worked great. I would not recommend using the dipstick tube as it is too small in diameter.

Transfer Case- The fluid that I drained looked and smelled like brand new fluid. The plugs had no marks on them, and I suspect the fluid has never been changed. The vavoline I poured in looked darker than what came out. I suspect this fluid does not need to be changed. I used the squeeze bottle method, and it worked fine. Once the bottle is below 1/2 it can be a pain.

VTM4- There were marks on the plugs for the diff. The fluid I drained looked brand new, so it might have been done recently. I used about 3/4 of the gallon I bought and used a transfer pump from Harbor Freight. It worked great.

Both the cabin and air filters were dirty but not horrible, and they were both Honda.

So there you go, let me know if you have any questions or comments. I will be tackling the spark plugs next after around 10k miles. And then, the t-belt. Not sure if I will be DIY on that yet. We will see

See less See more
#2 ·
Good job Apex. Sounds like you covered your bases pretty well. Did you take a look at your transmission connections to the radiator? I'd do that right away and see how the corrosion looks. Plan to replace the radiator when you do the TB/WP, etc. It also would be a good idea to check your valve clearances too. And don't forget your serpentine belt and tensioners for both the serpentine belt and TB.

BTW, when you did your D&F, did you drive it in between to mix the fluid?

#4 ·
Ha, Yes I drove in between ATF changes.

I will let you guys know on the spark plugs. What connections am I looking for, at the trans, or the radiator?

Also, when I do the T-belt should i just replace the pullies and tensioner or just check?

#7 ·
Tranny drain plug on 2006-2008 is on the driver side of the tranny near the front, colored blue. For 2009 and up, it's on the passenger side front.

Here's a thread that shows the location for 2006-2008 models:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20628

A drain and fill will take ~ 3.5 quarts, +/-.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.