Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

automatic fuel shut off not working!!!!

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Lingered_I 
#1 ·
today we made our trip back from SC (over 12 f***** hours :mad:) and when we stopped to gas up we stopped at a mom and pop gas station put gas in and it made a whistle noise began overflowing i stopped it imminently i was thinking maybe its the gas pump thats suppose to have it not the car, but then when we made our second stop for gas (i hovered over the pump) it made the noise and i stopped it before it could overflow

i have never heard of this, i know that in the Middle East along time ago they didnt have the automatic fuel shut off and gas was so cheap there the attendants just let it flow out (while they smoked the cigarettes)

has anyone heard this on the Ridgeline?? i need to call American Honda for some other reasons (check up on a claim i made against a rude service adviser, premiture seat wear beginning to show, water going into fog lights, center caps on rims turning yellow)

#9 ·
No, I own an environmental company. I have to remediate contaminated soil from leaking tanks at gas stations all the time. Once remediated I have a friend of mine install new tanks and pumps if needed.
oh ok, do you think there is also something in the car that interacts with the one in the pump?

#10 ·
oh ok, do you think there is also something in the car that interacts with the one in the pump?
That I'm not sure of, sorry. If there is some kind of blockage in your vehicle I would think it could make the fuel back up quicker in the fill tube and cause it to overflow for a split second.

Those shut off vavles in the pump handle are very sensitive, it's usually a problem with the shut off valve, not a vehicle.

#12 ·
On rare occasions, I've had the overflow on our Pilot (when I fooled the system) but not on the RL yet. I generally listen for the sound of the fuel coming up the pipe, depending on ambient noise levels. I try to squeeze a tad more fuel in without running over by easing the gas in for a couple more clicks after that first click-off.

Gas pumps seem to flow at different rates. When the pump is really shoving it in fast, there seems to be more potential to underfill the tank in the first click-off. If the handle sensor is working properly, it shouldn't overflow. But there's no guarantee on that. I wonder if wear/tear on the gas handle also influences the tendency to overfill? Some handles are spongy and some offer little ability to moderate the flow, kinda like an on/off switch. Do those sensors have to be calibrated/checked regularly?

#13 ·
If you look at the gasoline pump nozzle you'll notice a small hole toward the end. This is the key to the pump shutting off at the proper time.

Inside the nozzle there's a tube that connects the hole back to a suction switch in the handle. As long as air can be drawn thru the tube the pump will work. When the suction increases due to it attempting to draw liquid it cuts the pump off.

So it really doesn't matter what's in the filler tube of the vehicle as long as it allows the liquid to flow. Once it backs up and gasoline is drawn into the tube the pump cuts off.

If the filler tube overflowed the pump handle was defective. There's nothing on a vehicle that can cause this to happen.

The other side of the coin is that there are some cars that can't take fuel at high rates. If you get a higher volume pump they keep cutting off on these vehicles because the fuel is backing up into the tube.

#15 ·
i just got off the phone with Landmark Honda which another ROC member Jack told me about and he said that the sensor is in the pump but they will check it out

and i have to say that im very disappointed with how Honda is doing business, i only have 6000 miles on a 2008 Ridgeline MSRP with all my option parts is somewhere around $38K and i dont get a loaner car?? WTF, im sorry but i would rather have bought a BMW if i knew this

#17 ·
and i have to say that im very disappointed with how Honda is doing business, i only have 6000 miles on a 2008 Ridgeline MSRP with all my option parts is somewhere around $38K and i dont get a loaner car?? WTF, im sorry but i would rather have bought a BMW if i knew this
your issue is with the dealer, not Honda.

mine gave me a loaner when my RL was out of commission last year for a week with the tank of bad gas. My truck had over 100,000 miles at the time, so they were under no obligation to do so. Just a good dealer.

#18 ·
you get a loaner if you car is at the dealership more than 2 days or something like that, but with a BMW you would end up with more headaches plus they gave you loaner cars easy cuz you spend all your spare time there LOL I know because my cousin always taking in his car for something...:p

#20 ·
well I agree with you, if your under warranty repair no matter mileage you should have some kind of rental. Maybe when you arrive at the dealership things may look up. I am going for an oil change today, I'm gonna ask my service guy about getting a rental under warranty repair and see his opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.