Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

A/C cycling on/off at idle

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  outtaline 
#1 ·
As the title I noticed the the compressor cycles on/off non stop while sitting at stop lights or idling.. this just started...my not so popular dealer told me thats normal, not to worry.
I do not recall my 1st ridge doing this... I'm anal and woulda remembered (I think)
Does anyone else notice this? Thanks!

#2 ·
1st thing to check. Coolent level might be low.
I had the same problem on my Ford Explorer. I brought a can of R-134 with a fill guage & top it off.
It fixed the on/off of the compressor & made the A/C blow cooler.
Only a thought....

#3 ·
I agree with Kudzu - you probably are getting low on freon. The safety switch will cut the compressor off when it is low to keep the core from freezing solid and to keep the compressor from burning up from a lack of lubricant ( contained in the freon ).

The Chevy silverado I traded in did that, the dealer added freon and all would be good for 3 weeks and wham, it would do it again. They found a pinhole leak in the evaporator on the 8th trip for the problem. 2 months after that the compressor failed, the new one was 4 months old when I traded it. ( owned it 23 months - 25 dealers visits ).

#4 ·
...or, it could be simply cycling normally on the thermostat. What you probably hear is the condenser fan cycling on and off in order to maintain head pressure in the system.

There are so many varying factors to study prior to filling the system with refrigerant (outdoor temperature, cabin temperature, system setting,etc...):)

#7 ·
It puts a load on the engine, so I assumed it's the A/C... I'll have to pop the hood and look... again the Honda Dealer said it is normal

(When did they start using Freon again???)

As others have pointed out, there are so many variables. Literally nonstop cycling?...
It cycles on for about 10-15 seconds, then off... non stop. I only hear it at idle, and am not sure if it happens while I drive..

I'm going to stop by another dealer in my area and have them take a peak at it. The dealer that said it's fine is still trying to make good on what now has about the whole front end of the truck with new paint... several times now I bring it to fix one blunder and they scratch it somewhere else!

#6 ·
(When did they start using Freon again???)

As others have pointed out, there are so many variables. Literally nonstop cycling?... does not seem correct. Even on the hottest days stopped in heavy traffic, where the cabin has reached the set temperature, I will hear it go on and off but within a few minutes of time.

#9 ·
As stated before, there are too many variables to determine if it is indeed an issue or just a normal characteristic. The compressor will run to increase high side a/c pressure. It will run and run unless it reaches a shut off point. There is a switch, two actually. One will shut the system down if there is too much pressure on the high side and one will shut it down if there is not enough. Pressure varies with temperature.... meaning at 65 degrees the a/c pressures will be lower than they will be at 95 degrees. Basically, the correct procedure to address this is to have the dealer do an A/C Performance check. It basically measures the pressures and vent temperatures and compares them to a chart. If they all fall within the normal range, there is no problem.

You have to think of it like this - the A/C system is a climate control system. It tries to maintain a set temp. Like the heater or A/C system in your home, the outside temperature will make it run more or less.... so there is no sure way to say it's running "too often" or "not enough" You need to gauge the performance from the systems ability to maintain a preferred temperature.

HT

#10 ·
Try this. Let the truck sit in the 90 degree sun for about a half an hour until the cabin gets plenty warm. Turn the thermostat knob until it reads "Lo." Then go drive it around the block. It should go into recirculate mode when you turn it on and the fan should be running full blast. If it starts to cycle at a stop before the recirculate light goes out, you have a problem.

In theory, the climate control should try make the interior of the truck reach at least 68 degrees before the compressor starts to cycle. The climate control should switch to outside air way before it reaches the optimum interior temperature.

Let us know what happens.

#11 ·
A disturbing fact with Honda is their use of the Nippondenso A/C compressors. They are very noisy; both when starting as well as running.

Another issue is how the temperature control functions on our vehicles. On some vehicles, a probe is inserted into the evaporator coil and senses frost. On others, a cabin sensor may work alone or in conjunction with an evaporator probe. Basically, our A/C systems are actually low-temperature refrigeration systems.

FYI, "Freon" is a registered trademark of Dupont. In the past, HVAC techs named refrigerant by the commonly used word "Freon" in place of "Refrigerant R-12" or "R-22",etc...):)

#12 ·
I work on a/c systems, both auto and home units. There is a performance test that was mentioned. This is a good starting point.

UNLIKE R-12, R134a systems are very sensitive to the amount of refigerant in the system. There are no sight glasses and the MANDATORY procedure is to run the performance test and if the system is out of specs then evacuate and charge with the REQUIRED amount of freon!!!! Do not randomly add R134a as you will be looking for trouble... On the other hand , the DIY guys keep me in business. There is nothing wrong with working on these systems IF you have the right equipment and the knowledge, but, not if you are missing either of these tools!
On my Auto sites, I and the other a/c techs will give advice , but only to the people that are going to go t0o a qualified tech. We do this to avoid people getting seriously hurt or killed to save a dollar. Funny thing is that most of them end up going to a tech and paying more to fix the mess .......
Not trying to be a smart a$#, just stating some facts.....:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.