Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

B2 Maintenance Due Soon

25K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  davedad 
#1 ·
Today the MM hit 15% and shows the B2 service due soon. I know what the B service is and the 2 is to change the air and cabin filters. I did already change the filters at the last service, but I plan to check them and replace if needed.

I now have 30,5xx miles on the RL, and have read a number of posts that claim at 30k to change trans fluid and transfer case, which would come up as number 3. I did RTFM as some of you tell people to do, and it says to change these fluids at 30k if you do a lot of mountain driving or a lot of towing. Otherwise follow the MM.

I don't know of any mountains in central Ohio, and though I do have the towing package, I haven't towed a trailer with this truck.

Is there a GOOD reason I should go ahead and change the tranny and transfer case now?

#2 ·
Hey Ralph, I don't think there's any good reason for changing at 30k, but I did for no other reason than I wanted to. I had them do the 3 change and drive tranny fluid deal and transfer oil.

I think I'll do the next one myself as the dealer rocked me for around $200 for the service.

#3 ·
IMO, the only reason to change now would be if it makes you happy. Otherwise, I would run it until the MM tells you to change it.

#6 ·
The MM is your friend, listen to it.
I have been doing the maintenance based on what the MM says..Well I did change the air and cabin filters a little sooner, but I don't honestly think mileage is the best indicator of when to change the air filter. If it's dirty, change it.

I was just curious as to why so many have talked about the 30k mile service when at 30k I just got the B2 service due soon.

#4 ·
Which should be somewhere in the vicinity of 45K.

#8 ·
Today the MM hit 15% and shows the B2 service due. I now have 30,5xx miles on the RL, and have read a number of posts that claim at 30k to change trans fluid and transfer case, which would come up as number 3. I did RTFM as some of you tell people to do, and it says to change these fluids at 30k if you do a lot of mountain driving or a lot of towing. Otherwise follow the MM.
There is no 30k mile service interval... at least, not one specified in the owners manual. Caveat, if you tow or otherwise have severe service, you will have some 30k items to attend to. Otherwise, nothing is called for.

If you want a maintenance schedule, there are 30k mile maintenance items:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=376449&postcount=11

Otherwise, just follow the MM.
You are just confirming what I said in my first post! There is no special 30K mile service specified in the owners manual. I wasn't asking for a maintenance schedule to follow. I had previously seen that and a half dozen other posts with a mileage based maintenance schedule. Some dealers also have their own schedules, and will say there is a 30K mile service needed.

My question was WHY do most of the people that post a special mileage maintenance schedule, also in other posts say to follow the MM?

BTW, I do go by the MM...You don't need to keep telling me to.

#9 ·
I have 31,000 miles on my 2006 (purchased May 2005). I have never had this truck in the shop except twice - once for the computer coded tranny fix specified in a service bulletin and once because I had a coupon for a $10 tire rotation. Other than that ten bucks and money for fluids and parts, I have never opened my wallet at a service shop.

I follow the maintenance minder mostly and have saved a whole bunch of money doing so. Heck, I've even heard of some Honda dealers telling people to come in every 3000 miles for an oil change! I rotate my own tires (unless I get a coupon like the one above), change my own oil and filters, including cabin and air filters and I did the VTM fluid change at around 20,000 miles. Other than that, I've done nothing to the truck. Nor should I have since it only has 30,000 miles on it. But if you take it to the dealer each and every time you will have spent a small fortune by the time 30,000 miles rolls along.

Today I decided to change the transmission fluid. I have about 7 or 8 qts. of the Honda ATF and a couple crush washers for the drain plug and fill bolt. I know I don't have to do this at this time but I will have had the truck four years in May and since it is so simple, why not? I won't keep the truck more than 50,000 miles so I probably could skip the tranny fluid change entirely but it is as easy as changing the oil and certainly can't hurt anything. I think four years/30,000 miles is a good guide post for a transmission change even though it may be a little premature per the MM.

I will do the flush twice, filling with new fluid the exact amount I take out. I'll drive the vehicle around the block a couple times making sure I go through all the gears. The third "flush" will be in a couple months when I figure the MM will tell me to change oil. The three flush method, (replacing a third of the fluid each time) is far more than Honda requires or will do if you take to the dealer for this service. Plus, I can almost guarantee you they will not use new crush washers, at least not for the fill plug. I know because I tried to two dealers before I found one that even carried a fill plug crush washer.

So don't shy away from doing a transmission fluid job any time you feel like it, in fact, I'm sorta looking forward to it. Here is a link with some good information for you to use:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20628&highlight=transmission+service

#10 ·
Prior to coming to this forum thread, I called up Honda (Corporate, not the dealership) and they told me that there is not a maintenance schedule for my 2007 Ridgeline. They stated that the on-board computer will tell me when items need to be serviced and anything beyond what the MM states is overkill. However it looks like someone posted a page from a service manual with normal and severe weather maintenance schedules. ARGH!!!! Which is correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.