Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How Long Will The OEM Battery Last

14K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  laserguy 
#1 ·
50 months on my battery, hoping it will make it until the 2013's come out. That is if there is a 2013!!

#43 ·
So the consensus among those in the preventative maintenance camp is 3 years for the battery.

Now here's the kicker. Assuming you bought it new, is it three years from when you rolled off the lot, or 3 years from the birth date of the truck on the door placard?

#44 ·
It's not hard and fast like that. I got 4+ years out of my RL OEM battery. The only reason I changed it was that I could tell it was spinning the engine over slower. So I premptively changed it out.

Some have gone far longer and some far shorter. A typical indication of a failing battery is the fright light display... lots of crazy warning lights on the display... or other erratic indication. Which is why you'll see one of the first questions asked is, "How old is your battery?" And, "Have you had it load tested?"

#46 ·
I am still with the original too, it got discharged about 3 or 4 times for having the doors open and the key with the radio on for a while, I recharged it and always works, I have had a 6 channel power amp for several months, sometimes listen to music for 10 min with the engine off and no issues yet. I plan to change it soon, but knowing me, my past and having AAA service I may wait until it takes me by surprise just like it does to most. I guess I am lucky that in my area it never gets way too cold and the last winters have been warm and only very cold for a few days before it is a warm cold weather. :act035:

#47 ·
I just replaced mine last night. Date of birth of the truck was July Of 2006. I took delivery February of 2009 with full warranties. And i got 44 months of it. Guess it could have lasted a little bit longer but we are coming into the cold months now and don't want to have to keep jump starting it...

#48 ·
I got 46 months out of the original battery. Dealer replaced it with the Honda 100 month battery for $69.95 installed. Didn't think that was a bad deal.

#50 ·
Depends where you live. In AZ where I live you can expect much shorter battery life.

I replaced mine with a Walmart special on Saturday, it failed after 5.5 years and 70k miles. Last 6 months I've been living in AZ, moved from WA state. I suspect if I had stayed in WA, battery would still be OK. But no big deal, $90.00 and 3 year warranty, made by Johnson Controls, so I expect I'll get at least 3 years even in this climate.

Machog

#51 ·
5 years and counting.....

#54 ·
Just a few questions:

Bought mine used and have no clue as to the age of the battery nor the conditions it was used in. Thinking about a replacement.

A. What are the factory specs for the RL battery? CCA? etc..

B. For those that have replaced any recommendations?

C. Advantages/disadvantages of 'overbuying' a battery with additional CCAs or warranty, etc...???

#55 ·
Here are the specs from the OM:

Not much info as regards CCA and that sort of thing.

I recently replaced my battery and just bought a WalMart Everstart Maxx 24FN for $85.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=670868&postcount=38

I suggest that you find a way to keep power on the system while you change the battery so you don't lose your radio security code, tripmeter info, and other custom settings like your idle learn and ckp learn settings.

I tried one of those $10 9v devices that plug in the acc socket, and even with the ignition in the ACC position (1), I lost my tripmeter info. I have no idea what else I lost. And it may not be a big deal at all. But rather than chance it, just keep power to it via a jumpstart pack and cable to plug into the OBD2 port or some have put a 9v battery across the battery cables successfully.

#56 ·
Original lasted almost 60 months and I am in Minnesota. My truck usually park inside most of the time. Just replaced it with a Costco brand. Make sure have the radio code handy after the battery replacement.

#57 · (Edited)
Don't worry about the rating too much. You can have one higher rated, which is probably better. I thought the stock was 550CA, but I could be wrong. Anything above that would be fine.
speedlever's battery is a good reference, and in fact likely a good choice. Most with the same ratings are the same battery with just a different label on it. Most are made by the same manufacturer.

#59 · (Edited)
Long time owner and member here, but I haven't checked into the forums in months.

Just had to replace the OEM battery. 24 degrees F this morning and the first time ever the Ridgeline wouldn't start. So from March `05 to December `12 is 93 months and 98,000 miles. That's a pretty good battery.

#61 ·
I think you're way outside the bellcurve with your battery. I got a bit over 4 years with mine before replacing it. But I didn't wait for it to fail me. I could tell it was spinning over more slowly and elected a precautionary replacement. When I had the OEM battery load tested, it failed the test.

You aren't kidding about being a long time member. Member #238!

#63 ·
Mine just failed at home in my driveway, always when I had the radio on for too long with doors open or extra accessory connected like gps or my little peak camera, I always recharged it always held the charge but I decided to change it just in case since I did not want to get caught far from home.

Almost 7 years for the ridge seems like a long time. Now when I turn it off and need to close the windows, the power left to close them is good and fast, before not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.