Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

My loading ramps

18K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  bikerbudmatt 
#1 · (Edited)
My loading ramps (photos)

Thanks to several scattered threads (because it's hard to tell whether this item is an "accessory" or part of the "racks, hitches & towing" category) I got a lot of great information from ROC posters and found the pair of loading ramps that will work for me.

I got these from R.A.M.P.S. Inc., which carries a series of aluminum ramps for differing needs. I was looking for a relatively lightweight, compact ramp that could handle up to 1,000 pounds. (After manually unloading and loading a hydraulic posthole digger last month, there's no way I want to do something like that again, on safety grounds!)

I chose a "7.5 ft. plated arch" ramp, which will do well for any maintenance machines I need to get in and out of the bed. I liked the plated surface, which I think will be more useful with small wheels. And I particularly liked the light weight (16 pounds each) and small length when folded (3.25 feet long). The price was also right, and they offer free shipping (which although it was UPS ground, took only about four working days to my house).

Here's some photos of my ramps on and near the Red Ridge:

Out of the box. I have already attached the safety straps.

This shows a length comparison between folded and unfolded.

Here is one of the ramps, showing the black safety strap attached about two-thirds of the way up the ramp as the manufacturer recommends.

The manufacturer's label showing loading specifications.

Each ramp rests on the "top" of the tailgate on the aluminum extensions, which are capped with red plastic. Two things about the welds: Although the corner appears to be digging into my baby's plastic tailgate cap, it's actually smoothed out and it left no damage. And, you could think of the welds as either really rough-looking, or really reassuring because you can see them! :act024:

What I will use as an attachment point. Note that this is the FIRST safe attachment point forward of the bumper. There is what looks to be another, more logical one, but you'll find it's made of molded plastic.

Pretty close to the exhaust and muffler. But of course you're not operating the truck while these ramps are in place.

Here is the pair of ramps with safety straps installed. The buckle part of the strap is about 12 inches long and has a sewn in loop, so it attaches easily at the ramp end. The buckle has clear markings to show where the free end should be inserted. Nice touch!

Here is a side view of the installed ramps. Good look at the arching angle.

And a three-quarter view…

…and a straight-on rear view. I think the posthole digger might still be a challenge on weight grounds, but I don't anticipate any trouble with the snowblower, and smaller wheeled machines should be a breeze.

Once your machine is loaded, you have options for carrying along the ramps. Here is the pair, tucked into the front of the bed.

They also fit quite nicely in the cab. I did not try it with the seats down, but I think a single ramp would fit fine there.

I'm pleased with how easily these set up and store, and I feel I've added to the utility of my truck with this ramp set. Although the welds could look a little prettier, the price more than makes up for that detail.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nearly identical foldable ramps are also available at Lowes. I actually have four -- strapped together and strapped to the tow hitch chain holes makes a large and secure full width ramp. I frequently transport motorcycles, and when I have just a single bike to take, I use the bed of the truck. These ramps make it a snap. Good thread, bikerbudmatt!

#3 ·
Thanks, H2O. I think there are some topics that seem like they are common knowledge, but really aren't. Ramps is one of them, because for most vehicles they aren't even a possibility, and for larger vehicles like box trucks they are most often built in. (Ambulances, of course, are a special case.)

I had to patch together information from several threads to understand what was involved for my RL.

Your application seems more "wieldy" than a wide motorcycle ramp that folds lengthwise. Good show!

#4 ·
You are quite correct; they are more 'wieldy', but it's worth it to mo for the flexibility. There are occasions that I only need a single ramp, or two. And, I can loan two of them to my brother-in-law (who now owns my 2007 RTX) when he needs them without shorting myself.

And, you're right in that there are some topics that are 'obvious' -- but only after someone thinks of them first. Good show!

#5 ·
Good to see this old thread here -- I have been looking for folding ramps for a while. If you mount your ramps side by side, can you load a dolly that's about 20'' wide on it? I am thinking of getting a pair like yours for moving furniture/appliances, etc. I also have a light motorcycle that I can use the ramp to load as well.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I don't see any issue with that. You mount the ramps as close or as far apart as you'd like, and I believe the lip on each edge is just enough to keep a wheel from sliding off the side (with some care from the operator, of course!) without interfering with the axle on a dolly. The key is to make sure you strap each ramp tightly. A loose ramp will cause all kinds of havoc, and possibly slip right off the tailgate along with your appliance. (See H2O Buffalo's entry, #2, about four ramps. My comment about "wieldy" means that I think his setup is more versatile and flexible than a single wide ramp.)

Good luck, and post back with what you actually do, whether it's this or something else.

#9 ·
I loaded dry (for getting to the repair shop and back) with no problem. A little tricky keeping the wheel clutches disengaged because they end up so high off the ground as the blower goes up the ramp.

If you were running a snowblower around to do contract clearing (say), I would think this would not be the best way to do it. I have a hard time imagining all the fun it would be to get under the Ridge four times (two each for setting up and taking down the ramps) in the snow/slush/mud each time a blower needed to be unloaded and packed up again. If it's part of a crew effort, better to have two strong guys lift the machine in and out.

And yeah, the slippery factor would apply provided you went ahead and tried it anyway. :act018:

#12 ·
bikerbudmatt,

Since the bed in RL is higher than other pickup trucks, do you have to put some abrasive tapes on the ramp to prevent skidding? The lower portion of the ramps looks a little steep.

Also is there a way to strap the two ramps together to help stabilize it? It seemed hard to find a folding ramp that is 2 feet wide, so I figured that getting a pair of ramps like yours is probably my best shot.

#13 ·
1. You don't have to. Yes, the lower end is steep, but the ramps already extend something like 8 feet behind the tailgate. As mentioned upthread, all bets are off in wet or snowy conditions, though.

2. Yes. I tried it once, and they are ALMOST stable enough side by side to go without lashing them together. But I still would, which is easy enough to do through any of the slots on the ramp beds. I would think near the bottom (at the free ends) would be necessary, and that the tops would be stabilized by their temporary attachment to the tailgate.

#16 ·
I just got my ramps yesterday. I haven't yet put heavy loads on it yet, but traction does not seem to be a problem for this ramp, unless the surface is wet.
My only complaint is that some of the "fingers" at the top end of the ramp are not perfectly aligned. Which may be the result of the welding job (it was made in China after all). But I do think it will hold up.

#17 ·
Yes, that's true, but in my experience I haven't had any fingers crack or fall off. (on the ramps, that is :act014: ).

Still finding mine useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.