Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Need advice RTS vs RTL

17K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Car Compulsive 
#1 ·
Hi I am looking yo purchase a RD I have seen the RTS for $8.8k I can have that next month but I REALLY want tje RTL for some $10k-$10.5k but that means I would have the RTL until next year around april.I already know the differences RTL leather and sunroof and navi if optional.So heres what I am thinking buy RTS keep it a year , sell.it and upgrade to a RTL anyone done this ?

Thanks.in advanced.
Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
I really wanted a loaded RTL, and I'm glad didn't compromise. From what I've read on the forums, the cloth seats on the Ridgeline stain very easily with just water getting on them. I'd say be patient and squirrel away as much money as you can so when you find that RTL that is exactly what you want and is in your price range, you are ready to close the deal.

#12 · (Edited)
I really wanted a loaded RTL, and I'm glad didn't compromise. I'd say be patient and squirrel away as much money as you can so when you find that RTL that is exactly what you want and is in your price range.
Same here. I had to search for a few months to find a suitable RTL and had to drive 6 hours to get it, and am glad I held out until the perfect one came along!

Other then changing out the Tweeters, I am content with the OEM Stereo/Sub, LOVE the Sunroof on those beautiful evenings/nights, Leather and Steering wheel controls.

Also love that I could plug my iPhone in the aux plug!

Opening the roof cools down the vehicle much quicker with all windows down while driving away from being parked, and in the winter with the Sunroof ceiling cover left open, more sun comes in, warming the Leather a little more than without!

NO REGRETS!!!!!!

#5 ·
For me the RTL was a no deal. I'm a sweater, and in the summertime skin to leather contact is just not something I enjoy. At all. Give me cloth everytime. Plus, the GPS in my phone is superior to anything Honda or anybody else installs in the dash.

#6 ·
Had a chance to purchase an RTL for same money as RTS but the RTL had several hail dents and had survived a tornado that hit the dealership. I don't like leather and I just didn't feel the need for the moonroof so got another RTS. And I've heard more bad than good about the navigation (one I looked at didn't have it, just saying...).

#8 ·
You guys bought good points I did not consider.As for the leather I can always get seat covers but like.someone mentioned in hot days, might stick to cloth.Then NAV looking for a Pionner Double Din.Sunroof probably get bored and not use RTS it is !! Thanks everyone.I can now shift My.focus.on mods :)

Will let you know when I get My Honda Ridgeline RTS

#9 · (Edited)
In SD (not South Dakota!) you won't be needing heated seats or heated external mirrors... unless you drive to the snow.

For that kind of money, I expect you are looking at a high mileage 2006 model. Check to see how well it's been maintained, if at all possible. A high mileage vehicle, if properly maintained and operated, can be expected to give you a lot of reliable service.

If you tow, find one that is post August 2005 date of mfg (check the driver's side door jamb for this info).

#10 ·
Oh, and for me at least? That back window pretty much does what I'd want the sunroof to do. Give me a small opening that isn't howling around my ears to help the air move along. I love that back window.

#11 ·
Leather seats are not much of a problem as you guys might think.
This is what we have A/C for the truck will cool down quickly & I am sure many on here have the front drivers & passenger window tinted. Then if you use a sun shade temps are even cooler in the truck. Now if you don't use your A/C ^ ride with your windows open in the summer time then this may be a problem with leather seats. I have had leather in my 94 Accord & my 00 Acura TL. The A/C in my TL & the one in the Ridgeline cool pretty well.

#13 ·
RTL for me all the way! I've owned and driven many, many vehicles over the years from the most basic (no radio at all much less leather or A/C) to completely loaded Lexus's. I've reached the age where I like my creature comforts. I absolutely love the open air so the sunroof was a must have for me. My other vehicles include a convertable, a 21' bow rider (which the RL tows quite nicely), a couple of jetskies and I hope to replace the motorcycle I had to sell soon. I also wanted the leather interior, heated seats and steering wheel controls. My RTL does not have the NAV system and, having seen how some of the Honda NAV systems from that era work, I don't think I really care. Besides, I only need a NAV when I travel someplace new and my little GPS is more than adiquate for that plus it can go from vehicle to vehicle for the few timess when we don't take the RL.
I do know that a loaded vehicle is not for everyone and you should get whatever you like that fits into whatever budget you have set for yourself. However, I don't see any value to buying a lesser equipped vehicle only to trade later for a more feature packed one later simply because of price difference. As others have said, wait and save to get what you want - it will cost less that way in the long run.
I will also add that if you can find a RL for $8k, or na RTL for $10k, be very carefull. Hondas are very reliable cars but prices that low would make me wary. My '06 with 133k and perfect maintaince records cost me $13.5k in August of this year. The market where you live may be worse for used vehicles than here but I'd still say be very carefull!

#14 ·
The RTS is the best value by far in the RL lineup. I went with an RTL because, for one, I really wanted leather heated seats and the moonroof and I got an awesome price on a pre-owned one from a private seller. It gets freakin' cold here in the winters and even on crisp fall and early spring mornings. The leather is cold at first, but once the seat heaters kick in, it's like heaven. As was said, though, I doubt you'd have to worry about that in San Diego. Also, when you have the moonroof and rear window open, it provides great airflow and is exceptionally quiet. My wife and I did an 8-hour roadtrip like this with no issues. You could probably achieve this same thing by cracking the front or rear windows and having the rear slider open. Lastly, I didn't care for the factory Nav because it wasn't worth the price jump and I have a good Garmin.

That being said, the RTS has the same audio system, the same power seat and the same dual auto climate control as the RTL. That's why I say it's the best value. As long as you put a good set of seat covers on to protect the factory cloth, you're good to go. At those prices, I would assume the trucks you're looking at have very high mileage on them. Make SURE all the of the required maintenance has been done - especially the timing belt/water pump service at 100-110k miles or so and again at 200-220k miles if they are that high. If the truck is at 170-180k miles, know that you'll have the second TB service coming up shortly after purchase. Keep that in mind when negotiating.

#15 ·
Okay so I was doing some math and I am $950 if from the RTL.Might as well stick it out a month and sell some stuff on craigs.I am sorry I haven't quoted or thanked anyone I havent had the chance to use the computer only the app.Okay so about the mileage is like 107k and they are $9.5k-$10.5k so its autotrader classifieds since I am paying cash do you guys think they can go even.lower ? It all depends on mileage and stuff, let Me know what you guys think how much I can go on a offer.Thanks everyone for input and time.

#26 ·
Those prices are very low for the year and mileage. As speed suggested, I would look into the FULL vehicle history of the trucks. At those prices, there has to be an issue with a prior accident or something like that. Those trucks should not be listed for less than $15k. As speed also said, the timing belt service is due now on that truck. If it hasn't been done already, and I assume it hasn't due to the low price, you're going to need to do it right away. Factor in another $1000+ for it. It's a necessary maintenance item. You can always offer a lower number than what they're asking, but that doesn't mean they'll take it. Before you make any offer at all, though, make sure you do your homework and get the full maintenance and Carfax history on it.

#17 ·
Conversely my friend has a 2011 Honda Accord in leather, and it looks like complete garbage. Worn looking, cracked, faded, etc. Had I been interested in leather, that would have stopped me from buying it.

#18 ·
The leather on our 2006 Pilot is holding up well. It is easier to clean than cloth. OTOH, my cloth has not had any staining issues. Go figure.

Cloth has its pros and cons, just like leather. One con for cloth that bugs me is static electricity. But I like not having to deal with seat warmers. Shrug. The big thing to me is that the RTL has a sunroof which I did NOT want. Some love the SR. Not me.

Regarding the vehicles you're considering, I'd like to have a really good idea of the maintenance history. That might swing the deal one way or the other for me.

Also, those prices seem very low for the relatively low miles (just over 100k?). I'd have to question whether they've had crash or other damage repairs. In either case, plan to spend upwards of $1000 to $1500 for the 105k mile service (timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, coolant, spark plugs, tensioner pulleys, valve adjustment, etc.

If you get one of those candidates, you'll also probably want to do a complete fluid and filter change to establish your maintenance baseline too. But that's pretty cheap if you DIY... ~ $125 for fluids and filters if you shop them.

Good luck!

#19 ·
I find the sliding back window gives me similar functionality as the sunroof (moonroof?) would; I like to crack either to allow the HVAC to flow easier and get a little fresh air in the cabin faster.

#21 ·
I had forgot about the static electricity issue with cloth seats.
Not a big issue but I remember it from the days with my 80 Prelude & 90 Accord . When I got the 94 Accord I had leather put in when it was new.

#22 ·
AFAIK, the Canadian EX-L and the USA RTL are the same. In the US, navi is an RTL only option. Is that true in Canada for the EX-L?

#25 ·
Hey breye... not to change the subject... but your avatar is hilarious. Is that related to your location in Blind River? :D

#30 ·
Just to give you an idea, there is only one RTL w/ navi listed on Autotrader for less than $10,000. It's a 2006 in NC and it has 270,000 miles on it. If that truck only has 107k, there is DEFINITELY something wrong with it. If you want to get into a good RL, you can find many Ridgelines within 100 miles of San Diego for under $15k. There are even a couple of RTL's for around $12k and one particularly nice-looking silver RTS with 87k miles for $12,700 from a private seller!

#29 ·
What, you don't like excitement in your life? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.