Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Rostra ConVerse Bluetooth Microphone Location

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jonesbb630 
#1 ·
So I've always missed not having Bluetooth in my '06 Ridge RTL with Navi and finally got around doing something about it.

I ordered the HN5 (yes I know the ConVerse will not mute the subwoofer). Tonight I pulled the dash panel and radio/nav unit and hooked everything up. Before installing the switch I put the headunit back in the dash, linked my phone and made some test calls.

I'm pleased with the clarity, volume and the people I was talking to said they could hear me fine so I'm going to keep it.

Two questions for folks that have already installed a ConVerse

1) Where did you put the microphone? I was thinking on top of the steering column or maybe at the top of the drivers side a-pillar trim. Not sure what will work best and if I go up the a-pillar I need to watch out for the airbag and make sure I have enough cord length. Where is your mic and is the location ideal?

2) I also bought the Honda specific switch and plan to use that instead of the generic switch. The blank between the heated seats looks too big. I don't know if the blanks on the left side of the column will work either. Did anyone purchase the switch? Does it fit. I'll find out when I pull the bottom dash pieces off but curious if anyone has been there done that. Worst case I use the generic switch (don't like the chrome on it) and send the other switch back.

Please advise! Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well.... I was back out in the garage. I mounted the mic. on the windshield near the sunglasses case. I like the location. It's away from the window (I'm thinking less wind noise) and up high where it seems that most factory and aftermarket mics. are installed.

Rostra uses a small magnet mount so if the windshield ever needs replacement it's very simple. You can take the mic off the base. Remove the windshield. Scrape off the base, apply new VHB adhesive and remount.

The Rostra Honda switch doesn't fit in the blanks near the VSA switch. It's too big. I think it is too small for the blank between the seat heaters but I'll figure that out tomorrow.

This think is totally plug and play. So far I'm impressed. I wish it muted the sub but you can easily turn down the radio volume or turn off the radio while on a call and it works as expected (tested it earlier).

Finally Bluetooth in my Ridge! Bluetooth should be like power windows. They were once considered a high end option and now EVERYTHING has them. Since it is a safety enabler I just don't know why they don't slap Bluetooth in every vehicle.

#3 ·
Nice job and you are right, it should be standard equipment, especially since it is largely for safety while driving.

#4 ·
Just FYI for others. The Honda specific switch does NOT fit either the blank between the seat heaters or the blank near the VSA.

I used the generic switch. Not crazy about the chrome on the edges of the switch but the switch works well.

I emailed Rostra to let them know their switch application for the Ridgeline is incorrect. Hopefully I'll save the next guy the hassle.

#5 ·
I got the same system as you. However, I ordered an all black switch without chrome edges direct from Converse Rostra. Looks much better. When you say the Honda BT switch you ordered, do you mean the steering wheel mounted one that comes on the RTL Navi?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.