Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Taking the Mystery Out of the Maintenance Minder System

46K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  PATCH 
#1 ·
From the Honda Service News, thanks to csimo. Of particular interest is the paragraph after the "Subcode What It Means" paragraph.

To help vehicle owners know when scheduled maintenance is due, Honda has introduced the maintenance minder system in these models.
• ’06 Accord
• ’06 Civic
• ’05–06 Odyssey
• ’06 Pilot
• ’06 Ridgeline
• ’06 S2000
The maintenance minder system shows engine oil life in the information display to let you know when it’s time to have the engine oil replaced and regular maintenance done. There’s no longer a maintenance schedule in the O/M. The system shows engine oil life as a percentage, which drops over time as the vehicle racks up miles. It starts out at 100% with fresh engine oil, and winds down to 0%, signaling the oil life is over. The system counts down oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an engine running under more normal conditions. Depending on the oil life percentage, the system shows three different messages when you turn the the ignition switch to ON (II). Here’s what you could see: When the oil life reaches 15%, you’ll also see a two-part maintenance item code. This code tells you what items need servicing when you have the engine oil replaced. The first part of the code is the main code. It’s either A or B, never both. The second part of the code is the subcode. It’s numbered 1 thru 5 in vehicles without 4WD, and 1 thru 6 in vehicles with 4WD. These subcodes can show up in any combination.
Main Code What It Means
A Replace just the engine oil.
B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and
inspect several other items listed in the O/M.
Subcode What It Means
1 Rotate the tires.
2 Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter.
3 Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
4 Replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt (if equipped), inspect the water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
5 Replace the engine coolant.
6 Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped).

The system automatically moves up maintenance items or delays them so they get done along with engine oil replacement. For example, if tire rotation is normally done at 7,500 miles, but the oil life ends around 6,000 miles, the system will move up tire rotation. Or, if the oil life appears to be ending around 9,000 miles, the system will delay tire rotation. In either case, you would see the maintenance item code A1 in the information display.

Some scheduled maintenance items are independent of the maintenance minder system. The brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years, the idle speed should be inspected every 160,000 miles, and the valves adjusted if they’re noisy. And there are driving situations where a few maintenance items deviate from the maintenance minder system. These items are affected:
Air filters - the air cleaner element and dust and pollen filter should be replaced every 15,000 miles if you drive the vehicle often in areas that are regularly dusty or dirty (high concentration of soot from industry or dieselpowered vehicles).
ATF - the ATF should be replaced every 30,000 miles if you use the vehicle mostly for towing or you drive in mountainous areas. This doesn’t apply if the vehicle has ATF life monitoring. The ’06 Civic is the only vehicle that monitors ATF life at this time.
Timing belt (if equipped) - the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles if you drive the vehicle often in areas that commonly have temperatures above 110°F or below -20°F. Keep in mind, only a small percentage of vehicle owners are actually involved in these driving situations. All other vehicle owners should follow the maintenance minder system.

See less See more
Reactions: Atis
#4 ·
Great Post! Thanks for the info. I have my B-6 service tomorrow morning. ;)
(sounds like a vitamin treatment :eek: )

#10 ·
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask as 'the new guy' and learn something. :eek:

If you change the oil yourself, or whatever maintenance is recommended by the Maintenance Minder (MM), how does the MM know that the Maint. has been performed and reset itself? Or do you reset that yourself through the 'reset' function, etc.? (Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough through the Owner's Manual!!!) Thanks!:D

#12 ·
Webwader. When the oil life reaches [B said:
15%[/B], you’ll also see a two-part maintenance item code. This code tells you what items need servicing when you have the engine oil replaced. The first part of the code is the main code. It’s either A or B, never both. /QUOTE]

So, would it be accurate to say that if I change the oil before it reaches 15% then I will never see the additional A and B codes. Because I never have. I've asked the question before but you may have finally explained why.

I bought my Ridge used from a Honda dealer. It had 20K miles and the dealer had serviced it and reset the MM. At 25K and 30K I changed the oil and reset the minder. I don't recall the oil life percentage but it was probably not down to 15%. So, is that why I never see these additional A and B codes people talk about?

#13 ·
So, would it be accurate to say that if I change the oil before it reaches 15% then I will never see the additional A and B codes. Because I never have. I've asked the question before but you may have finally explained why.
Unfortunately, you are correct. You need to get a better history from the dealer you bought your RL from as to exactly what service they did to your truck and if any TSBs were applied in its prior ownership if that can be determined. At 15,000, the most important non-oil change service that should have been done was the first changing of VTM4 fluid. After that first change, this fluid does not need changing until the 45,000 mark unless you do towing and /or other severe condition driving and then it is on an every 15,000 cycle. Another important early service is the engine air and cabin filter replacements and that should be done around 1 year of use or in the30,000 range if you are a heavy mileage driver.

#14 ·
Thanks BillB. I appreciate you taking the time to post the explanation. Although I'd read about the A and B codes in the manual I was mystified as to why they never showed up on the minder like people have described. Thumbs up!

Maybe it's a bad assumption but, since it's a Honda certified vehicle, to 100K miles, I figured Honda is keeping an eye on the dealer to make sure they (Honda) don't have to cover unnecessary repairs. I had the drivetrain fluids changed at 30K, just in case :D

#16 ·
Are the 2006 maintenance codes you provided applicable to 2009 vehicles?

#17 ·
Most likely, but all the maintenance items are listed in the owner's manual. :cool:

#18 · (Edited)
Does the MM take in to account for what kind of oil I use? I've been told synthetic lasts longer than conventional. I've never used synthetic, so I can't attest to that one way or the other, it's just what I've heard. I'm sure others have heard that too. If it is true, then would the MM give me more time to change the oil, or does it just assume I'm using conventional?

#19 ·
Does the MM take in to account for what kind of oil I use?
No, the MM does not know what brand, type, or viscosity of oil you put in the motor. It is programmed assuming you have complied with the manufacturers requirements.
Synthetic oils are fine lubricants and have better flow characteristics in cold temperatures. Don't fall for the extended drain interval hype. These oils should be changed out the same as any others.

#20 ·
So, I'm at 38K and my RTL is displaying B136 for maintenance soon. Does this mean I need all of the following?
B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and
inspect several other items listed in the O/M.
Subcode What It Means
1 Rotate the tires.
3 Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
6 Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.