Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

VTM-4 Fluid Change

170K views 269 replies 106 participants last post by  smufguy 
#1 ·
VTM-4 Fluid Change

I hope these pictures help if you decide to change your VTM-4 fluid. I purchased the VTM-4 Fluid and two crush washers from the dealer; they are not available from Auto Zone. You will also need the following items; a 3/8" socket and extender, 6' of 5/8" x 1/2" plastic tubing and a funnel.

Fluid Tire Auto part

Step 1 Loosen the top plug first and then remove the bottom drain plug.
Step 2 Drain the fluid.

Auto part Vehicle Headlamp Car Automotive lighting

Step 3 Open the trunk hatch and remove the drain plug. Push the tubing through the drain plug. Now feed the plastic tube into the top plug. Close and tighten the bottom drain plug and crush ring.

Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

The view from underneath shows the path of the tube and if run correctly the tube will not pull out.

Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car

Step 4 Pour the fluid into the funnel and fill until the fluid seeps out of the top plug. (See below)
Step 5 Re-install the top plug and crush ring.

Auto part Vehicle

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Replaced my VTM-4 fluid last night at the 13,000 mark. Noticed gear oil residue on driver's side of VTM, kind of like what you see in the second and fifth of the first set of photos. Is the "halfshaft" the area where the axle connects? There wasn't a lot of oil, but enough to cause me to wonder if I need to have mine replaced also.

Is it covered under warranty? Is this a fairly common problem? Is it major work?

#4 · (Edited)
cmotley,
does the rear differential hold the entire gallon of fluid? are the crush washers the same ones used for a motor oil change? where do you get the plastic tubing? thanks for the info and great pictures.

#6 ·
The idea to use the "trunk drain" was posted in a earlier post by eurban, I simply supplied the photos. But like him, I had an awful time pumping the VTM fluid from the ground and pushing it in the rear differential. (It's really hard when it's cold and the cheap hose kinks)

Each time I changed the VTM fluid I used about 75 - 80% of the product they sold me. I followed the maintenance minder and change the VTM Fluid accordingly. The first change came at about 13,500 miles and my second was done at nearly 38,000. The hose was $3 from Lowes.

#7 ·
I never tried this method but it sure looks interesting. I just jack it up and slide the bottle between the trunk and the A-arm.

#8 ·
I took the old bottle of vtm4 fluid and put a brass 5/8" hose connector through it and attached a fluid pump, but had I thought of that darned trunk plug life would have been much easier, thanks for the photos :)

Also when it's nearly done draining I give a few 'tips' of fresh fluid in there to hopefully wash out any of the old that's hanging around...never a bad idea I guess.

#12 ·
Brilliant! I mis-read my Maintenance Minder & bought VTM-4 fluid last month. I have been puzzling/dreading having the pump it in when the time comes. The hose & funnel method using the drain plug is great!

#13 ·
I tried the hose and funnel approach this weekend, and found it to be a total PITA. flow is too horizontal to work well, it seems to me. I finally emtied a pump shampoo bottle, and pumped my fluid in. Of course I made it harder on myself by not jacking up the truck first. Time for a diet.

#14 ·
$4.00 at Northern Hyd. Remove both plugs. Let drain. This pump comes with two different bottle neck adaptors. Choose the larger one and put in your VTM oil you bought. replace bottom plug. Insert long hose in top fill hole. Pump slow till it comes out, wait few minutes pump again and do the same till full. Give it time to flow. Replace top filler hole plug. Yes I used new washers.:D

Attachments

#18 ·
Yes, they are two different sizes.

#20 ·
Even a GM mechanic could figure it out. They're not close in size.

#22 ·
#25 · (Edited)
I just finished doing it. I didn't raise the truck. I did, however, use a 18" x 3/4" galvanized pipe on the end of the 3/8" ratchet to crack them both lose. When I put them back on, I again used that 18" piece to snug them both. I didn't rip on them, but snug them well to the point that I felt the washer begin to crush (someone before turned til the crush as well).

I found the drain bolt should be torqued to 35 ftlbs, but what about the fill plug?

Side note, I don't think I could have put much more than 23.3 lbs up in the air with the 1-1/2ft extension with my left hand under the truck to get near exceeding the torque limit, although I did feel the washers on both somewhat "crush."

#27 ·
Thanks for the great information and photos. I just did this fluid change and it worked great.

(This is my first post here although I have been here off and on for a year.)

I should have used my air compressor/impact gun, because I scratched up my knuckles using a 1/2" breaker bar and reducer to 3/8". The torque that the service manual says 35 ft/lbs was not even near what it was to get the plugs out. I used a torque wrench to put them back in.

One other thing- the fluid was taking a long time to drain out, so I jacked up the front end with a floor jack to speed it up. I ended up using 3 quarts. When I refilled to refusal, I only spilled a little bit. I was underneath watching it get to refusal point while someone else was pouring. Then I measured what I had left - only one quart.

This tubing method worked fine. When it comes time to replace the half quart of gear oil in the transfer case, I am going to use my Amsoil marine gear oil pump.

On an unrelated note, I also found the information here about buying a bed mat from truck customizers for a real cheap price. So this club helped me two times now. Fortunately this vehicle does not have any problems that I have had to troubleshoot like a former vehicle I had (a Subaru SVX- I spent alot of time getting help from that owner's club, believe me).

Thanks again-GT.

#29 · (Edited)
Just wondering why you guys are changing your own VTM-4 fluid while the vehicle is still under warranty? Wouldn't it be easy for Honda just to say "Sure you have receipts, BUT did you really replace the fluid?" We are not covering that repair under warranty." Do you change your oil also?

FYI, the NAPA guys here on the radio in Denver, have nothing good to say about the "orange" oil filters. They like other brands though besides NAPA, so they are not exclusively homers.

Thanks for the reply because I like to do routine maintenance on my vehicles, because I know how it was done and I try to be careful.

Have a great weekend.:D

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.