Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Keep 97 Civic as a Commuter?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Car Compulsive 
#1 ·
My question is where to hold onto my daughter's 1997 Civic to use to drive work on decent weather days or sell it. My daughter is moving into NYC and will no longer need a car. The Civic is a 1997, 180K miles, automatic, usual Honda rust starting behind the rear wheels, small dents and scraps randomly around the vehicle. Mechanically the car is in good condition with no expensive issues needing attention right now. I have it maintained at a local shop. I could probably sell it for $2000. Gas mileage is probably 30+ MPG. Insurance is roughly $30 a month.

I have a 35 mile commute to my office, for a total of 70 miles a day. My Ridgeline gets 18 MPG. I would not be selling the Ridgeline.

Does it make sense to keep the Civic, drive it into the ground as a commuting vehicle, and save some miles on the Ridgeline? Or just sell the Civic and keep driving the Ridgeline?

#3 ·
You can probably save just enough in fuel to pay for insurance, registration and tags on the Civic.

#4 ·
My daughter had a 02 Civic up until last year when she decided to get a slightly used 2011 CRV. She sold her Civic to a used car lot that gave her way more than a dealer would have, any how it was a great vehcile and I'm sure she would be still driving it if she didn't find such a great deal on the CRV.
My point is keep it drive it.

#6 ·
I use my wifes 2003 Acura as a run around vehicle, and it's always nice to have a backup vehicle just in case!

#7 ·
We're going to have a similar decision when my GF and I get married later this year. I have the Ridge and a Prius and she has an old Malibu that will need replacing (or scrapping) within a couple years. Her commute will only be about 12 miles round trip, while mine is 90+ miles. She also likes to smoke when driving, but may be willing to give it up. I'm hoping to own only 2 cars and have her mainly commute in the Ridgeline (while not smoking), but she may prefer to drive a car of her own (small, like the Prius) that she can smoke in. I suspect I'll be driving the Ridgeline fulltime or buying her a Fit, Civic, Yaris, Corolla, xD, or Impreza.

#8 ·
I'll ignore costs..... do you want to put so many highway miles on your truck?

I have a '99 Acura CL as my daily so I don't kill my fun car with miles.

#10 ·
Lots of interesting points of view. I will probably drive the Civic to work for a while and see if things work out for my daughter first before selling it. I have plenty of space for parking.

I like driving the Ridgeline to work because it is big, safe in an accident, handles any sort of Upstate NY weather, comfy heated leather seats, great highway manners, etc. But it does have crappy fuel mileage.

I also have a 1991 Miata in the garage that I need to justify owning by driving once in a while. Plus I live in the middle of a very walk able city.

#11 ·
... I also have a 1991 Miata in the garage that I need to justify owning by driving once in a while. Plus I live in the middle of a very walk able city.
Pics of NA Miata? My late wife had a '92 as a daily driver which was also a very fun weekend cruiser. I bought her a hardtop and winter tires / wheels. With some sand in the back, she never had any winter driving problems. These days, I would have left it parked with the Battery Tender on it all winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.