Tire Pressure - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Clubs and Gatherings > Canadian Ridgelines Eh? + Alaska > Eastern Canada Owners

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
McRidgeline
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Tire Pressure

On my previous vehicle (Ford Explorer) I kept 35 psi front and 32 psi rear. With those settings I got 75K miles from the original Goodyears and 75K from the replacement Michelin ATX tires as well. I found the slightly higher pressure provided a bit firmer ride (which it needed); also seemed to give the sidewalls a bit of increased strength and kept the edge of the tire from rolling over and wearing as much.

Regarding, my RTL- the pressure on my tires when I first checked (after 2K miles) was almost 40 psi fronts and 36 psi rear. Very high when compared to the recommended number in the door sill and the tire Mfg's specs. However, I never noticed the higher pressure in the feel of the ride; but I did notice the hurt in MPG when I lowered the front pressure to 32.

I also checked the pressure before / after driving the truck and found out that in the current weather (approx. 82 deg. F) that the pressure increases about 3 psi once driven upon and heat put into the tire.

Thus, I'm running 36 psi front and 34 in the rear. A little high I know; but I like the ride and the mileage did seem to improve a bit. My wife and I just completed a 2.3K mile vacation trip to the Outer Banks of NC (Avon, NC) with the above psi values. With the two of us, vacation 'supplies' and two mountain bikes in the bed, we got approx. 21.3 mpg when on flatter roads of Virginia.

Lastly, I check the tires occasionally for heat (driving approx. 75mph) and the tires were hardly even 'warm' to the touch of my hand. So, from my prior experiences and the observations during the vacation trip, I think the 36 front / 34 rear psi readings are going to be 'okay.'

I'll also watch and observe though....

Last edited by McRidgeline; 09-30-2007 at 09:42 PM.
McRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #22
BillH
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

I'm surprised that most people are calling the truck more responsive. I've always felt that cars get more twitchy or darty on the highway with higher tire pressures. I'd agree with the increased mileage statement though.
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #23
Webwader
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
I've always felt that cars get more twitchy or darty on the highway with higher tire pressures.
That only holds true if the pressure is increased to the point of the contact patch area being decreased, which is overinflated.
2008 Ranger 1860 Angler w/150 Yamaha - 3,950 lb

"Things will get better as they improve."
Webwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
EastCoastSurf
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Formal Black

I just measured my tires b/c the light was on that I was underinflated and one was at 20psi and another 26. So i put 38 for the front and 37 rear. Is that too much?
EastCoastSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
larryr
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

The 09 and 10 RTL with 18" wheels the tire states 44LBS max and I run 41 to get better MPG. It does make a big difference. At 32 I was getting 17MPG at 41 I am getting about 20MPG. (all air pressure is cold at about 70 degrees F. )

For those naysayers that say 44 is too high - get a wheelbarrow and read the tire ( It will be 55 to 60 lbs) fill it to the rated lbs and fill the wheelbarrow with rocks and push it around. Now lower it to 40 lbs ( this is what Honda is telling you to do with your 18" wheels rated 44lbs when you put 32 lbs in it ). and push the wheelbarrow around - you almost cannot do it. This is exactly what you are doing to your truck when you keep the pressure too low.

Tires almost never blow out for being too high at cold temperature ( they are cold at 70 F at 32lbs, they will be at 50-60 lbs after 100 miles at 70mph because the sides are flexing causing heat. if at 70F and cold at 22lbs after 100 miles at 70 mph they might reach 200lbs from temperature from the sides flexing that will cause a blow out - that is why Big Brother requires TPMS on all cars/trucks now. ) Some folks whose TMPS is on when they start their drive and it is off after 2 minutes are at the 27/28 pressure cold and warm up enough to get enough pressure to end the TPMS warning. Maybe the TPMS waring symbol should be $$$$ flying off. People seem to care if they are losing money.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

Last edited by larryr; 01-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.
larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #26
Cajun Country Ridgeline
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Yesterday after much research I had 4 new General Tire Grabber HTS
245/65R17 LLR
Serv.Desc: 111T
Load Range: XL
UTQG: 640 AB They have a Max Load of 2403lbs each or 7090 Total

Max Inflation pressure: 51psi

If we run these according to Honda's door plate @ 32psi, they look like flat tires. I noticed that the installer put 41lbs psi and the ride is very comfortable.
I would like to know what would be the optimum pressure both for safety,comfort and max gas miliage.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Moonroof, XM, Foglights, Roof Rack, Bed Extender, Running Boards, Trailer Hitch Package,Rear Splash Guards, Hood Air Deflector, Dark Floor Carpets, PinStriping, Full Size Spare,G E Nighthawk headlights 9003/HB2 Honda Door Visors. RAMPAGE 49" L.E.D. Brake Light w/indicators. Boss 318 Chrome 17x8 wheels on P245/65R17 Firestone Destination LE2
Cajun Country Ridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #27
ridgerunning
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Country Ridgeline View Post

Max Inflation pressure: 51psi

If we run these according to Honda's door plate @ 32psi, they look like flat tires. I noticed that the installer put 41lbs psi and the ride is very comfortable.
I would like to know what would be the optimum pressure both for safety,comfort and max gas mileage.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
when tire pressure maximums were at 35 as listed on the tires, a lot of people ran the pressures at 32 which is 91.4% of max pressure or 3psi short of max.
On my Ridgeline tires, max is 44psi and the dealer had delivered my truck with 41psi which is where I continue to run at 93.2% of max pressure or 3psi short of max.
Your tires are 51psi max, so IMHO you would probably be ok at 91-93% of max around 46 - 47psi. which is still 4-5psi less than max pressure.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #28
jnc2000
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Cold tire PSI:
40 front
36 rear
jnc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #29
Rickman
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Question Re: Tire Pressure

I've been running 32 psi.

Anyone else?????

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #30
hopingforahonda
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
I've been running 32 psi.

Anyone else?????
Same here. 32 psi...20,000 miles and a few rotations and my stock Michelin's are wearing perfectly.

All tire manufacturers recommend using the tire pressure thats stated on on your car's doorsill. Bottom line...Honda knows best.

But, you always have guys who think they know better than the engineers...like running different weight oils, tire pressures, fuel or oil additives ....etc.
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Clubs and Gatherings > Canadian Ridgelines Eh? + Alaska > Eastern Canada Owners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.