Michelin tires dry rotted! - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
codda
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: Michelin tires dry rotted!

Weather checking vs. dry rot. It's a made up term giving them another reason not to honor a warranty. Otherwise what are the specific differences between the two and what conditions distinquish them?
codda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom1965 View Post
My 07 had what I thought was dry rot too. It turns out that it was weather checking around the rims not dry rot. I was told by many tire salesmen that this is a normal occurence and to just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get deeper or longer. If they start getting really bad then bring them in. Weather checking is not covered by our warranty.
My truck was bought new by its first owner in October or November of 07 and the tire date was 1207. To see this now was unexpected to say the least. My truck does sit out all year long in all types of weather so maybe that contributed to their cracking. Now that a garage is being built next week at least my truck will be inside from now on except when I am at work.
I would recommend that you contcat Michelin as my OEM tires were replaced for this very reason (Under warranty).
Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
Stanholio
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Send a message via AIM to Stanholio Send a message via Yahoo to Stanholio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I would recommend that you contcat Michelin as my OEM tires were replaced for this very reason (Under warranty).

On my 2008 RL I have the spider cracks around the rim on all 4 tires. I have compared my tires to my wifes 2007 CRV and my friends 2007 RL.
Mine are the only Michelins with this defect. I have contacted Michelin about this and will be dropping by a Michelin dealer ASAP.

I recommend you email or call Michelin right away..........

Wife has a 2011 Honda Pilot EXL-RES Bali Blue with aftermarket running boards and cargo carpet.

Blame Space Coast Honda for my VW trade up. Now, what to replace the Pilot with.
Stanholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
tigertom1965
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Thumbs down Re: Michelin tires dry rotted!

Michelin said if I was unsatisfied with the answer that I should find another Michelin rep to look it over again. My only problem is that the only other Michelin place I can contact around here is the WallMart. They want just over $200 a tire for the stock LTX. I really can't afford new tires as I just had $303 worth of fluid changes in my Ridgeline. Even if I didn't have the fluid change I still didn't have more than $300 for tires.
I will have to wait until i get some spare cash for tires or more credit and I am thinking of just going with Toyo tires or maybe Cooper. I probably won't go with Michelin tires again.
Why spend upwards of $200 a tire for a tire that falls apart 18 months after it is made and has only been on the road for 10 months. This is from a tire with a 6 year and a limited lifetime warranty. Then if something goes wrong they make you pay for it.
If I am going to spend $848 for a set of tires I better not be buying tires every year just because of the Michelin name and because they won't cover weather cracking. Right now the tires seem to be harder than they used to be. I am feeling the bumps more and more every day plus I have actually spun the tires every now and then. I am thinking they will not make it through winter because they will be dried up anyway. I do have 6/32 of tread depth left and they are acting like old dried up crappy Pep boys tires you can get for $50 a tire.
At least I get 30 or 45 day trial period with some of the other tire manufacturers to find a tire I like just as well or better.
tigertom1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Stanholio
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I took my RL to two michelin tire dealers and the honda dealership yesterday to resolve my tire problem. I have a 2008 RL RTL with less than 2,500 miles on it.

1st Glens Tire - Cocoa Florida.
There is definetly a problem with the tire around the bead within 1 inch around each rim. But he only deals in large truck tires. He sent me to Tire Kingdom which is owned by Michelin.

2nd Tire Kingdom - Cocoa FLorida
THe manager and 2 others inspected the tires and decided that my 2008 truck should have 2008 tires on it and not 2007. My RL was made in late 2007 so that is not an issue. He actually recommended I take it to Honda.

3rd Honda dealership-
Service manager called Michelin after inspecting the tires and the both of them decided I should pay 10% plus mounting and balancing of each tire which is almost $200.00. I disagreed and went home to rip Michelin apart on the phone.

4th try........Called Michelin myself and told them that they are defective and they should replace them free. They agreed and hopefully next week they should be replaced FREE OF CHARGE.................at Honda.

So if you have this problem.............DON'T give up............

Wife has a 2011 Honda Pilot EXL-RES Bali Blue with aftermarket running boards and cargo carpet.

Blame Space Coast Honda for my VW trade up. Now, what to replace the Pilot with.

Last edited by Stanholio; 09-27-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
Stanholio
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Will get a new set of Michelin Tires installed on my 2008 RL on Friday from my local Honda Dealer. FREE OF CHARGE..............

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Cochise111
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack View Post
I saw a report on the news about out of date tires that have been sitting on the shelf for years and decided to look at mine and all 4 are dry rotted around the bead. I can't believe it 16,000 miles and they have hair line cracks around the bead radiate out from the rim about 2 inches. They have never been over or under inflated nor abused. Has anyone else had this problem.
It seems that almost all Michelin tires I've seen show a small amount of dry-rotting and cracking after they age a little and, believe me, I've seen lots of tires. My RL tires are showing the typical minimal cracking between the tread and on the sidewall. In seeing thousands of these tires with the same problem, I've never had one fail structurally, because of that cosmetic damage.
Cochise111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Cajun Country Ridgeline
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Last year I had the same problem at 22,000 miles all 4 tires were severly cracked between the treads.
The Ridgeline was over two years old and they gave me 75% credit and I paid the dealer $48.00 per tire and they gave me all accessories and balance for life.

I now have 38,000 miles on the Ridgeline and 16,000 miles on the tires and they look new.
Moonroof, XM, Foglights, Roof Rack, Bed Extender, Running Boards, Trailer Hitch Package,Rear Splash Guards, Hood Air Deflector, Dark Floor Carpets, PinStriping, Full Size Spare,G E Nighthawk headlights 9003/HB2 Honda Door Visors. RAMPAGE 49" L.E.D. Brake Light w/indicators. Boss 318 Chrome 17x8 wheels on P245/65R17 Firestone Destination LE2
Cajun Country Ridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Fett
ROC Rank: Sophomore

As long as your "new" tires are not older than 3 years old when you buy them you should be okay. When it comes time to replace my tires I am definitely going to replace them with BFG tires.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...-t-a/1163.html

245/65R17 105T
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #20
Stanholio
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Yesterdays events.

Went to local Honda Dealer and had all 4 Michelin Tires replaced completely FREE of charge. New tires have no cracks and are 2008 tires.

Then I went and had my front windows tinted.

Looks even better now................

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.