VTM-4 Fluid Change - Page 15 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #141
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: VTM-4 Fluid Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaridgeline View Post
What different sizes of crush washers do we need for out Ridgelines or all of them the same size?
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...5&postcount=15

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #142
carolinaridgeline
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

You Da Man! Thanks.
I am assuming that the mm is the ID and not the OD? Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

-1985 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
-Honda Harmony Mower
-Honda FG110 Rototiller
-Honda Trail Pilot Bicycle
-Former Honda Pilot Owner/Operator
-Honda GX290 w/CAT pump Pressure Washer

Last edited by carolinaridgeline; 10-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.
carolinaridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #143
ssmokn
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaridgeline View Post
What different sizes of crush washers do we need for out Ridgelines or all of them the same size?
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...h+washer+sizes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #144
carolinaridgeline
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

You Da Man too! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmokn View Post

-1985 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
-Honda Harmony Mower
-Honda FG110 Rototiller
-Honda Trail Pilot Bicycle
-Former Honda Pilot Owner/Operator
-Honda GX290 w/CAT pump Pressure Washer

carolinaridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #145
Janizary
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Did my A16 maint. today (well, did the oil last weekend, but did the VTM4 today).

Started with this thread (thanks OP!) as a guided, but decided with the easy clearance that my inline pump would be easy to use for this and it was. I have a few of these (Harbor Freight, $3.99 on sale) and they work great for pumping of to medium visc fluids.

Glad I had a long breaker bar. Those fill and drain bolts were herc'd on there (not as bad as the damn tranmission fill bolt though!!)

Any, thought I'd add my experience to the thread.

Getting Ready (note the print out of the OPs post!):

Almost drained...thick stuff (even after driving a bit):

Mmmm...grapejuice (well, if grapejuice smelled like as...). There's my IS waving in the background :

I always like to measure the first fluid drain on each maint item to see how much comes out (and sometime, like the first oil change I did on the Ridge, you may find factory overfills...). I expected around 2.8 QTs based on the manual. I got about 3.1QTs that drained. Curious, I think I had a tad overfill from the factory as full capacity is 3.01QTs according to the manual. A drain for change should be about 2.8QTs, according to the manual.

Setting up the inline pump. I had this one that I had not yet used. Just cut the hoses to the lengths I wanted and it was a snap:

Much easier getting to the diff than when I did my IS350s rear diff change, given the better clearances under the ridgeline. I was expecting that little shoot-through access hole to be more of a pain, but it really posed no difficulties at all. Took about 20 minutes, mostly waiting for the fluid to drain.

Should have taken a pic of the magnetic drain bolt. Compared to the amount of particles on the mag-bolt when I did my IS diff fluid change, there was VERY, VERY little particles at all on the mag-bolt for the ridge. Just a bit of haze came off when I cleaned it.

Last edited by Janizary; 01-01-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #146
BigDee
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RT
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I came across this thread and gave it a quick read.
I'm worried that I may be overdue. I have a 2009 with just under 31,000km on it. I've been noticing a noise when I back up off my driveway for work in the morning. It's like a 'clunk' sound that comes from the back. Could this be attributed to the need to change my VTM-4 fluid? I thought it had to do with it being so cold recently in Toronto.
BigDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #147
Jet Pack
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDee View Post
I came across this thread and gave it a quick read.
I'm worried that I may be overdue. I have a 2009 with just under 31,000km on it. I've been noticing a noise when I back up off my driveway for work in the morning. It's like a 'clunk' sound that comes from the back. Could this be attributed to the need to change my VTM-4 fluid? I thought it had to do with it being so cold recently in Toronto.
Have you ever changed it? Do you use the MM?
The MM should have shown a B16 (I believe that's the code) at the second maintenance.
Jet Pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #148
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

Did this last weekend.

I tried one of the "spill stop" fluid transfer hoses and was unsuccessful. There simply wasn't any way to get the container of VTM-4 fluid high enough to let it gravity feed into the diff. Squeezing the bottle only got me so far.

So I used plan "B", which was a plastic Solo cup and a 60cc irrigation syringe.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B5NE38

Let me do the math for you:
60cc is smaller than 2.6 liters. A lot smaller.

Pour some fluid into the cup, slide back under the truck, fill the diff with about 5 syringes-full. Repeat.

Despite the annoyance, I was able to successfully (albeit slowly) refill my diff with fresh fluid. The finger loop on the syringe was a great feature, as it let me fill it one-handed.

Would I repeat the experience? It's a toss-up. The dealer wants over $100 to do this, and now that I have the technique down, I can do it in a couple of hours, so it's right at the break-even point for me.

Oh, and the magnetic drain plug was in good shape -- just some gray goo on it, no particles or chunks.

Chip H.

Last edited by chiph; 01-23-2010 at 09:44 AM.
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #149
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
Did this last weekend.

I tried one of the "spill stop" fluid transfer hoses and was unsuccessful. There simply wasn't any way to get the container of VTM-4 fluid high enough to let it gravity feed into the diff. Squeezing the bottle only got me so far.

So I used plan "B", which was a plastic Solo cup and a 60cc irrigation syringe.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B5NE38

Let me do the math for you:
60cc is smaller than 2.6 liters. A lot smaller.

Pour some fluid into the cup, slide back under the truck, fill the diff with about 5 syringes-full. Repeat.

Despite the annoyance, I was able to successfully (albeit slowly) refill my diff with fresh fluid. The finger loop on the syringe was a great feature, as it let me fill it one-handed.

Would I repeat the experience? It's a toss-up. The dealer wants over $100 to do this, and now that I have the technique down, I can do it in a couple of hours, so it's right at the break-even point for me.

Oh, and the magnetic drain plug was in good shape -- just some gray goo on it, no particles or chunks.

Chip H.
Chip, fwiw, I found a hand pump that fits on the gallon container that works just fine. It's messy to store (in a gallon ziplock)... and you have to keep it all separate from other fluids so you don't contaminate the VTM-4 fluid, but at least you know the job is done right!

~$4 at Autozone.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #150
W9ETA
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Formal Black

Just did mine today @ 18000 miles. The drain and fill plugs were very tight but was able to crack them loose. I used a small manual push/pull pump. Took a little over 3 qts till it started coming back at me. I jacked up the rear off the trailer hitch to give myself some room. Took about 30 minutes. It's a easy DIY job that anyone can do in an hour or less. Save some $$ DIY.

Bob
W9ETA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.