P0420 engine code - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #21
ramblinwreck
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Question Re: P0420 engine code

Hey all- new member here. Got RTL with 93,993 miles on it and now getting the 420 code on bank 1. is there anyway to tell whether the downstream or upstream o2 sensor should be replaced, or should they be replaced in tandem? I wanted to this before investing in a new cat....was going to go with ngk sensors if available...are these any better than the bosch sets? thanks for your input!

Last edited by ramblinwreck; 03-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
ramblinwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Just Ask
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Re: P0420 engine code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck View Post
Hey all- new member here. Got RTL with 93,993 miles on it and now getting the 420 code on bank 1. is there anyway to tell whether the downstream or upstream o2 sensor should be replaced, or should they be replaced in tandem? I wanted to this before investing in a new cat....was going to go with ngk sensors if available...are these any better than the bosch sets? thanks for your input!
Try switching just the upstream one with a sensor from bank 2. If you still get 420, then you know it's the downstream one on Bank 1. If you get a 430 (I think that's the one for Bank 2) then you know it's the upstream one (now) in bank 2. No need to pay for two if only one is bad - they aren't cheap nor returnable.

'07 RL RTX
'11 Accord SE
Just Ask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #23
ramblinwreck
2007 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks for the response! That makes a ton of sense. Any ideas as to what brand to get if i replace?
ramblinwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #24
Just Ask
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck View Post
Thanks for the response! That makes a ton of sense. Any ideas as to what brand to get if i replace?
I would go with whatever Honda OEM is...the first one was good for 93k miles ya know :-)

'07 RL RTX
'11 Accord SE
Just Ask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
TeamRidgeline
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Looks like I just joined the club ...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=26867
2007 RTL Steel Blue Metallic/Gray, Leer Topper with e-lock rear hatch, Dynolock e-lock for rear gate, Centric semi-metallic brake pads, Belltech/KW V3 double-adjustable coilover suspension kit modified with 10k front and 14k rear springs, SPC adjustable front camber bolts, SPC adjustable rear camber upper control arms, 245/65-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DZ-M3 winter tires or 245/65-17 General Grabber HTS summer tires
TeamRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
starfixer
2006 RTL
White / Beige

ok now have had this twice but last time reset it and changed gas to premium ran for around 2000 miles and just popped on again on the way home. Had decided to try 87 oct again about 2 tanks back and yesterday filled up with 93+. My dilemma is this if I take it to Dealer are likely to look at it charge me and then say it is a tank of gas after resetting it. They really do not like to do anything that may or may not be under warranty, and I thought there was an 80000 mile emissions warranty, but when looked up the info on fed site and honda states manufacturers usually cover it underpowertrain and Honda states 3yr 36000 for the powertrain. any body know of anywhere in particular that has the federal guidelines that state otherwise? I do not want to pay for a deductble on the extended warranty for them to do nothing per say. Or am I just worrying to much and it is just the winter mixture again. I wouldnt mind changing the sensors out and checking them if I could, but I have done the unthinkable ( I have not purchased a book!). LOL I have been meaning to but yeah I know. I would appreciate any suggestions. Or think I should try to argue with the dealer and see if they will cover the sensors/Cat? btw 62000 miles. thanks

2006 RTL w/out nav, AEM Brute Force Cold Air Kit, 2009 taillights, Billiet Lower Grill and Bumper inserts, ROC decal, LED and Strobe Warning lights, ICOM Radio
starfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #27
CUinaRidge
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Mine came back on in December, filled the tank up and the light went off. It has not been on since...
CUinaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
Jack
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Where I am in Virgina, or Taxginia as we call it, this is the scam they use. 1st they drive your car into the stall and if any lights are on you automatically fail but have to pay. Then you get a waiver to fix it. If they drive it into the stall and there are no lights but they connect to the computer and it shows a code, stored, whatever, automatic fail and repeat waiver process.

On older cars, usually pre 1996, they put the probe in your tailpipe (that sounds weird) and test the actual emissions, which is way more accurate IMO.

The old method gave you a range and if your emissions were in that range then you were fine. If not then a fail. The computer does not give you a snowballs chance in hell. A bad sensor can cause a fail when your car is actually withing established limits.

Just another way to screw ya!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
comquat1

Just got this code the other day along with some others. Went and bought a code reader that can reset them and did that the following day and drove all day today and it did not come back on.

One thing I noticed is typically my truck is driven all day and rarely goes out at night. The night it went on I went out and the truck was parked outdoors in temps below 20 degrees and it went on when I was on my way back home.

I've noticed a few oddities with my ridge (and 06 of which i'm the original owner) the last couple months when it's bitterly cold out. I'm seeing the airbag light go on and off also, when it warms back up it goes off again.

I'm thinking if this truck was kept outdoors regularly that I'd be having way more issues with it than I've had, which up until the last month was zero issues in 166,000 miles.
comquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #30
carolinaridgeline
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I have been getting this code for about six months now and the code reader indicates Bank 1. I am not sure if this is the CAT between the radiator and engine or the one between the bulkhead/firewall and engine. Can anyone tell me? I continue to reset it and it comes on every couple of weeks. Now, my Ridge has 138,000 miles on also. Do I need to stay with OEM CAT or is there a a pretty good aftermarket CAT I can use?

-1985 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
-Honda Harmony Mower
-Honda FG110 Rototiller
-Honda Trail Pilot Bicycle
-Former Honda Pilot Owner/Operator
-Honda GX290 w/CAT pump Pressure Washer

carolinaridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.