The best lumber/toy racks? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
dustboy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RT
White / Beige

Re: The best lumber/toy racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsb View Post
I really dig my kargo master rack. It is a very capable "truck" rack that has hauled many a 16 footer and more. It is easy to install and remove with 2 people- not so much for one person though. I don't know if they still sell them- but someone locally (east SF bay area) has been trying to sell one on craigslist on and off for a great deal.
Thanks for the tip--I bought it today!

Seller helped me install it, but due to time constraints we didn't get all the bolts tight. I really hope that's why it was humming like a mofo as I hit 70mph on the freeway!

UPDATE: Nope. I got all the bolts tight, and it still hums like crazy. I believe the issue is that the round crossbar over the cab is behind the windshield, which means it's right in the high-speed laminar air flow coming over the windshield. Seller said specifically that there is NO wind noise...but he has a bug deflector. I'm no expert on aerodynamics but I reckon this made the difference, he seemed like a very decent person and I really hope he wasn't lying to me.

A buddy of mine once fabricated a lumber rack for a friend, and he placed the crossbar just above the windshield header. They learned that it made tons of noise. He had to cut-and-rebuild the section so it was about 8" ahead of the windshield. Knowing this, I shouldn't have bought the rack but I figured an established fabricator like Kargo Master would know what they were doing.

Getting all the bolt holes aligned was a real PITA, the legs don't line up right and at the least they should have designed more slop into the mounting holes.

The rack looks great, and the way it fits the truck is very well thought out, except for that one thing...

Last edited by dustboy; 05-05-2012 at 08:32 PM.
dustboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
dustboy
2009 RT
White / Beige

Going to try this:

http://bowhuntelk.blogspot.com/2011/...mber-rack.html

Dude wrapped a piece of rope around the bar in a spiral, kind of like what you see on a car's radio antenna to stop it from whistling.

Also, Kargo Master makes this spoiler thing:

http://www.kargomaster.com/products/...tor-31570.html

Last edited by dustboy; 05-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Vantech_guy
2012 RTX
Nighthawk Black / Beige

ANODIZED. All our new systems are anodized finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeline wanter View Post
Hi Vantech Guy - You say in your post that the rack has an anodized finish but on the website it says powerder coat????

Vantech: Anodized finish (will not chip or flake off like powder coat)
USrack: powder coated

Can you confirm it is an anodized finish.

Thanks!
Vantech_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
dustboy
2009 RT
White / Beige

Well the rope wrap helped a lot, no more hum. There is still some noticeable wind noise but it's pretty tolerable.

I might fabricate a tube to replace the front crossbar, that would extend another foot forward. My buddy has a bender so that would be an easy Saturday project.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
34Thrills
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I have two kayaks on the Vantech with hully roller. You won't be disappointed.
Attached Images

34Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
RKTridge
2007 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

I have a Vantech Gen2 on the way. ONLY $199!!! Good to know the rollers work on the rack.
RKTridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.