Rostra ConVerse Bluetooth Microphone Location - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
ssmokn
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Rostra ConVerse Bluetooth Microphone Location

So I've always missed not having Bluetooth in my '06 Ridge RTL with Navi and finally got around doing something about it.

I ordered the HN5 (yes I know the ConVerse will not mute the subwoofer). Tonight I pulled the dash panel and radio/nav unit and hooked everything up. Before installing the switch I put the headunit back in the dash, linked my phone and made some test calls.

I'm pleased with the clarity, volume and the people I was talking to said they could hear me fine so I'm going to keep it.

Two questions for folks that have already installed a ConVerse

1) Where did you put the microphone? I was thinking on top of the steering column or maybe at the top of the drivers side a-pillar trim. Not sure what will work best and if I go up the a-pillar I need to watch out for the airbag and make sure I have enough cord length. Where is your mic and is the location ideal?

2) I also bought the Honda specific switch and plan to use that instead of the generic switch. The blank between the heated seats looks too big. I don't know if the blanks on the left side of the column will work either. Did anyone purchase the switch? Does it fit. I'll find out when I pull the bottom dash pieces off but curious if anyone has been there done that. Worst case I use the generic switch (don't like the chrome on it) and send the other switch back.

Please advise! Thanks.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
ssmokn
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Rostra ConVerse Bluetooth Microphone Location

Well.... I was back out in the garage. I mounted the mic. on the windshield near the sunglasses case. I like the location. It's away from the window (I'm thinking less wind noise) and up high where it seems that most factory and aftermarket mics. are installed.

Rostra uses a small magnet mount so if the windshield ever needs replacement it's very simple. You can take the mic off the base. Remove the windshield. Scrape off the base, apply new VHB adhesive and remount.

The Rostra Honda switch doesn't fit in the blanks near the VSA switch. It's too big. I think it is too small for the blank between the seat heaters but I'll figure that out tomorrow.

This think is totally plug and play. So far I'm impressed. I wish it muted the sub but you can easily turn down the radio volume or turn off the radio while on a call and it works as expected (tested it earlier).

Finally Bluetooth in my Ridge! Bluetooth should be like power windows. They were once considered a high end option and now EVERYTHING has them. Since it is a safety enabler I just don't know why they don't slap Bluetooth in every vehicle.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Nice job and you are right, it should be standard equipment, especially since it is largely for safety while driving.

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
ssmokn
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Just FYI for others. The Honda specific switch does NOT fit either the blank between the seat heaters or the blank near the VSA.

I used the generic switch. Not crazy about the chrome on the edges of the switch but the switch works well.

I emailed Rostra to let them know their switch application for the Ridgeline is incorrect. Hopefully I'll save the next guy the hassle.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
jonesbb630
ROC Rank: Senior
2014 SE
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmokn View Post
Just FYI for others. The Honda specific switch does NOT fit either the blank between the seat heaters or the blank near the VSA.

I used the generic switch. Not crazy about the chrome on the edges of the switch but the switch works well.

I emailed Rostra to let them know their switch application for the Ridgeline is incorrect. Hopefully I'll save the next guy the hassle.
I got the same system as you. However, I ordered an all black switch without chrome edges direct from Converse Rostra. Looks much better. When you say the Honda BT switch you ordered, do you mean the steering wheel mounted one that comes on the RTL Navi?
Honda Snowblower, Honda Lawnmower.
jonesbb630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.