Walmart Tire and Lube Express is gone... - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Walmart Tire and Lube Express is gone...

Walmart is getting out of the Tire and Lube Express business... they've entered into a sublease agreement to turn it all over to Jiffy Lube. I talked with a long time Walmart Tire and Lube Express employee that I've known for over 10 years (now a Jiffy Lube employee). The employees were told that their jobs were gone and they could apply as new employees with Jiffy Lube but there was no guarantee of employment.

He also told me that the first think Jiffy Lube did is raise prices. A regular oil change went from $29.95 to $41.95. Tire prices went up as well. He had nothing good to say about the changes.

I've used Walmart for years (they charge me $10 to change the oil if I provide the oil and filter, rotate and balance my tires) and have recommended to others from time to time, but I have to withdraw my recommendation.

For example, previously when they rotated tires/wheels the tech would tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrench and then drove the vehicle around the parking lot and then a supervisor or manager would check the torque before the ticket could be completed. They had similar policies for many other items. No longer... I'm told the goal is to get the vehicles in and out as fast as possible.

Just be aware of the changes. Not all stores have changed but they will be. They changed about 6 weeks ago around here... I just waited to talk to them until today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Walmart Tire and Lube Express is gone...

How will this affect things like road hazard, and battery warranties? I know speed just bought a battery from walmart (if I remember right) and I know several people with walmart tires.

That actually kind of sucks.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpevehouse View Post
How will this affect things like road hazard, and battery warranties? I know speed just bought a battery from walmart (if I remember right) and I know several people with walmart tires.

That actually kind of sucks.
No warranty changes... what you have remains the same and will be honored. The batteries, etc. remain the same. They may start charging for installing batteries, etc. but I don't know that for sure.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Az RTL
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Aberdeen Green Metallic

I wouldn't let either one of them touch my vehicles.
Az RTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

My local Honda dealer only charges 10 bucks to change my oil & filter, if I bring in my own.
I'd rather go there, if not a local mechanic I trust, or I am not DIY which is usually the case.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinhonda View Post
My local Honda dealer only charges 10 bucks to change my oil & filter, if I bring in my own.
I'd rather go there, if not a local mechanic I trust, or I am not DIY which is usually the case.
I DYI it sometimes, and will probably go that way from here on out.

I would NEVER use a Honda dealer for oil changes. Mechanics don't do oil changes... just some kid of the week with no training or supervision. You might be surprised how many times they don't even bother to change the oil.

My first rule of thumb is to never let anyone change your oil unless you can watch it being done (and make sure you watch them). Generally the larger chains do basic employee training and have procedures that are supposed to be followed, but that doesn't mean they actually do it. Dealers rarely have any processes or procedures for the lube bay.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
endura
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 EX-L NAVI
Polished Metal Metallic

it's hilarious that a multinational sell everything retailer has better operational procedures/protocols than a specialty installer.
endura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Unhappy Re: Walmart Tire and Lube Express is gone...

That is wild news Joe.

I'm curious if they'll do the same in Canada too?????? Will have to check it out!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
I DYI it sometimes, and will probably go that way from here on out.

I would NEVER use a Honda dealer for oil changes. Mechanics don't do oil changes... just some kid of the week with no training or supervision. You might be surprised how many times they don't even bother to change the oil.

My first rule of thumb is to never let anyone change your oil unless you can watch it being done (and make sure you watch them). Generally the larger chains do basic employee training and have procedures that are supposed to be followed, but that doesn't mean they actually do it. Dealers rarely have any processes or procedures for the lube bay.
I agree, if you can watch it can make a big difference. I have that luxury with a local mechanic, and years ago used one particular mechanic in a KMart service center who was excellent.

Not all dealers are created equal. But I use them so infrequently outside of the rare warranty issue, it does not even count.

The greatest risk with dealers, in my experience, is their trying to sell things that are not needed.

With quick change shops, they also try to oversell services, but make a lot more expensive mistakes. I would consider them the highest risk of all.

Of course, there are always exceptions, just tread carefully when you need service.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
do_i_drive_you_crazy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Send a message via ICQ to do_i_drive_you_crazy Send a message via MSN to do_i_drive_you_crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
I'm curious if they'll do the same in Canada too?????? Will have to check it out!
Here in Niagara Falls, Ontario they just built a brand new Walmart Super Center and closed down the old one. The old one had a Lube and Oil service. The new one didn't get one. This new one just opened up this past Spring.

do_i_drive_you_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.