Ford F-150 EcoBoost vs. Honda Ridgeline - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Timberdog
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RT
Other

Re: Ford F-150 EcoBoost vs. Honda Ridgeline

Things I like about my Ridgeline:
1. lots of room for the family.
2. enough power to haul my toys and gear and still get descent gas mileage.
3. cheap for insurance.
4. has a trunk to secure my crap.
5. fits in my 16' x 24' garage with room to spare.
6. bed can haul pretty much what a full size truck does with a 6.5' bed.
7. cheaper to maintain, ie, tires, brakes, exhaust, etc. than a full size.
8. AWD is excellent in the winter and doesn't affect fuel mileage. Try driving around on slippery roads with a full size truck without winter tires or weight in the back.
9. dual action tailgate.
10. easier to park.
Also, technology in the Ecoboost isn't new. How long have turbo's been around. Reliability has always been an issue. Remember, it's a Ford.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
Also, technology in the Ecoboost isn't new. How long have turbo's been around. Reliability has always been an issue. Remember, it's a Ford.
That's sort of like saying, "how long has the internal combustion engine been around?" because turbos have been around nearly as long. As far as I know, the first one was back in the 1880's, but they weren't really used until the teens and 20's in airplanes. Just as the internal combustion engine, turbo technology has come a LONG way in the last 100 years or so. The basic idea is the same, but gone are the days of turbos only lasting 40-50k miles. If Ford's Ecoboost turns out to be very reliable over a long period of time, good for them. Like I said, I'm still not sold.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Lightbulb Re: Ford F-150 EcoBoost vs. Honda Ridgeline

FORD

Fix or repair daily.

Nuff said!!! Don't beleive the commercials claiming their reliabilty has gone way up!

And like mentioned, how can you compare a full size with a mid size truck!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Timberdog
2007 RT
Other

fair enough but if it makes you wonder why other car companies haven't jumped on the turbo bandwagon. as you said time will tell.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
devincicrashjk
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Wink Re: Ford F-150 EcoBoost vs. Honda Ridgeline

Its not just a turbo. they have direct injection and varible timming on the exhaust and intake cams.

Vtec is just on the intake.

But take a look a fuelly and the ecoboost milliage isnt better then the ridgeline mpg for 90% of them.

But they do have more hp and tq for the little more gas they use but there isnt a single one thats anywhere near the advertised 35 mpg where. the ridgelines ar

e very close to factory specs for mpg

I am canadian but i put in mpg because most people on forums are US MPG
devincicrashjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
AndrePS
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

This comparison test was horrendous.
I just wish I could dump that Eco boost in the RL. Well, really wish Honda would boost their own motor. Another gear and shed some weight and I'd e a happy camper.
AndrePS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
egjoni
2007 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

I was reading an article on the Ecoboost engine test that the Speed Channel did in California. It was amazing. They put an F150 on a rolling pad for over 400 hours putting about $160K miles on it. Then they hooked it up to a trailer hauling about 10k lbs of logs and drove all the way up to the mountains of Oregon. Then they drove it all the way to Miami and entered some sort of a baja version race. Anyway, with all that beating, they opened up the engine and it was still within manufacturer's specs. That engine is bulletproof. Wish they would put it on an RL!
egjoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePS View Post
This comparison test was horrendous.
I just wish I could dump that Eco boost in the RL. Well, really wish Honda would boost their own motor. Another gear and shed some weight and I'd e a happy camper.
I would bet on a VCM solution, with an updated direct injection V6. This is what Honda did with the Acura RDX after dumping the turbo 4.

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egjoni View Post
I was reading an article on the Ecoboost engine test that the Speed Channel did in California. It was amazing. They put an F150 on a rolling pad for over 400 hours putting about $160K miles on it. Then they hooked it up to a trailer hauling about 10k lbs of logs and drove all the way up to the mountains of Oregon. Then they drove it all the way to Miami and entered some sort of a baja version race. Anyway, with all that beating, they opened up the engine and it was still within manufacturer's specs. That engine is bulletproof. Wish they would put it on an RL!
Don't be fooled. That was a Ford show/commercial, paid by Ford!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
Don't be fooled. That was a Ford show/commercial, paid by Ford!
It could still be valid, but it's only one vehicle, one engine, etc. It has little to do with the reliability of tens of thousands of trucks across the country.
No doubt other mfrs do similar tests, mostly on test beds that simulate aging and long term usage. Does not make great hype for TV ads, etc.

Age acts on vehicles too, as fluids leave residue, gaskets, seals, etc. start to change properties over time, etc.
Taking a fresh engine and putting over 100K miles on it over a short term is not quite the same thing.

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.