Rear diff leaking - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
C25A1guy
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy
Rear diff leaking

So, I changed my oil today, and while doing so I was doing some general inspections on the RL. Couple of small items, no biggie initally (a/c fan on the rad had both bolts go missing, front control arm bushings barely starting to tear. Then I got to the rear. Oh no, the rear diff is leaking. It's not major (never had a drop on the ground where I park), but it's wet for sure. Look into it closely to see if I can see where the leak was coming from. Input shaft is dry, axle seals are still good and dry. It seems to be leaking from the seal between the center carrier where the clutches are (when looking at the VTM-4 cutaway diagram). I'm assuming that this is probably a silicone seal and now at 130k, it's starting to seep though finally. Now, what I want to know is if anybody else has had the same leak and if I can just drop that diff, open it up and just reseal it with a nice bead of Hondabond. Thus far, I haven't been able to find anything in Alldata, and on the Honda parts diagrams, there's no individual parts for the internals for sale, just the complete diff and a complete assembly. So, has anybody ever torn these things down and resealed them up or am I assed out of a few grand getting a whole new rear end?
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL (white): AEM Brute Force Intake, Buddy Club Race Spec Condensor, Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, DLS UP63 componets, Oz Audio 6.5" co-axel, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ subs, Lunar Amps, Boyo reverse camera
C25A1guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Re: Rear diff leaking

I seem to remember seeing on here the same issue about not being able to find a break down of the VTM itself. However there has to be a way to take it apart and reseal it. Being an automotive technician and if it were mine you can bet I would be taking it apart.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
C25A1guy
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Yeah, exactly. That's what I'm thinking, however I don't exactly want to be the guinea pig either
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL (white): AEM Brute Force Intake, Buddy Club Race Spec Condensor, Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, DLS UP63 componets, Oz Audio 6.5" co-axel, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ subs, Lunar Amps, Boyo reverse camera
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Ourfarm09
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by C25A1guy View Post
Yeah, exactly. That's what I'm thinking, however I don't exactly want to be the guinea pig either
Awh, that's no fun.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
C25A1guy
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Well, the issue really is more so since the truck is my daily driver, it's hard for me to have extended downtime with it if I were to do this on my own. So, unless I have a spare diff that I can throw in there, I'm kinda assed out unless I can find out if this can be done with success.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Chopper
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

JMHO but I would clean it REALLY good and just monitor it. You can easily check the fluid level and top it off as needed. Right now, with it just appearing to be "wet" with no dripping evident it's just not worth spending $$$ on resealing it. Again, this is JMHO but with that many miles minor leaks here and there will crop up. Just a fact of life...
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
C25A1guy
2006 RTL
White / Olive

OK, so I sprayed as much of the unit as I could with some brake cleaner (get all the gunk and oil off). Looks like it's either coming from the input seal or from up top (leaking breather?)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Ourfarm09
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Could be. Check and make sure the breather isn't plugged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.