building a clean 10'' setup - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Gouranga
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RT
Formal Black

building a clean 10'' setup

Lets get to it.

In this Thread we shall put a

Sub: 10'' Pioneer Champion Series Sub 350W RMS / 1000 Max

Amp: MRP-M500 300RMS at 4ohm/ 500RMS at 2ohm

Headunit: IVA-w505

Already have sub wired for 2ohm load from the amp
(350rms sub powered by 500rms amp with gain half way down)
Should be decent ?

I like to always get an amp with a little more power than the subwoofer can handle for the purpose of knowing you can lightly overpower the sub but thats why there are ''gain'' on the amp so you can lower it
I find systems with a stronger amp than sub but with lower gain sound better than RMS matching.

so lets begin where is the best spot you guys use for GROUND ? is my wire long enough ?

Will most likely build the box myself
With the above gear what do you guys think I should go with ported or sealed ?
there is not much room in terms of height for the box especially with the subwoofer being tall as it is.
Gouranga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: building a clean 10'' setup

Use an existing threaded factory spot for the ground, like a seat belt. I used that black hook area, picture above on the bottom of the picture, you need an M8 bolt or you may use existing if the ring terminal is thin enough. Seat belt ground threads need a bigger hole than 5/16 most likely a 1/2 inch hole.

I would use a voltmeter to set the gain on the amp and adjust lower from there if needed, I see no point of wiring for 2 ohms for 500w when the sub can only handle 350 w but if you calculate the voltage formula properly you can secure a limited power output from the amp.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Gouranga
2007 RT
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Use an existing threaded factory spot for the ground, like a seat belt. I used that black hook area, picture above on the bottom of the picture, you need an M8 bolt or you may use existing if the ring terminal is thin enough. Seat belt ground threads need a bigger hole than 5/16 most likely a 1/2 inch hole.

I would use a voltmeter to set the gain on the amp and adjust lower from there if needed, I see no point of wiring for 2 ohms for 500w when the sub can only handle 350 w but if you calculate the voltage formula properly you can secure a limited power output from the amp.

there is nothing wrong throwing a little extra juice at subwoofer rated under the RMS power of the amp
some subs that are rated as 700rms can take 1000rms at full gain all day.
I dont need a volt meter to know that in my setup I need to turn the gain about half way and it should be perfect.

as for the hook thing the bottom right you mean ? I couldn't see any bolts i am assuming they are all behind the plastic trims ?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Hard to answer the question of sealed vs. vented without modeling the response of the driver in a cabinet. Most woofers really work best in one design, even though they can produce good results in both.

I think it also depends on what your goals are and what kind of sound you like. In every case thought a vented box will be larger. It is more difficult to build because the actual internal volume and the vent has a huge impact on the final sound. A sealed box is harder to screw up. It may produce deeper bass ultimately because of the slower drop in response. When combined with the bass gain of the interior it may produce flat response to 25-30Hz in the Ridgeline.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Gouranga
2007 RT
Formal Black

I think I will go with sealed just because the box will be smaller and lighter not much room under those seats anyways
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
hofffam
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouranga View Post
I think I will go with sealed just because the box will be smaller and lighter not much room under those seats anyways
There is plenty of room for a 10 inch sub in a vented box if that's what you want. My sealed box is 0.7 cu. ft. and uses less than half the width of the rear seat. You have about 9 inches of height to work with.

But I generally would recommend sealed for the reasons above.

I suggest downfire for a 10 - better protection for the driver and less chance of causing rattles within the rear seat itself.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Gouranga
2007 RT
Formal Black

what does downfire for a 10 mean ? which way should I face the face of the sub.. upwards toward the seat.. or towards the drive seat or to the side facing the outside (towards rear pas door)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
hofffam
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouranga View Post
what does downfire for a 10 mean ? which way should I face the face of the sub.. upwards toward the seat.. or towards the drive seat or to the side facing the outside (towards rear pas door)
I mean firing down towards the floor. It means your box needs feet to give the woofer clearance. Downfiring prevents damage to the driver and eliminates the possibility of crap falling into the cone causing rattles.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Gouranga
2007 RT
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofffam View Post
I mean firing down towards the floor. It means your box needs feet to give the woofer clearance. Downfiring prevents damage to the driver and eliminates the possibility of crap falling into the cone causing rattles.
so facing the subwoofer face to teh floor ? how does that make sense the sub has to move up and down I dont see how thats going to work
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

You make legs for the box and elevate it slightly. Subs and low resonance sound waves are not directional and can be mounted in pretty much any position given adequate spacing to move the air.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.