Steering sounds & rear differential locking up - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Audiosolutions
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Steering sounds & rear differential locking up

So I have a 2007 ridgeline 91k miles and when I stear left I hear a weird sound is not clonking is more like mazdas zoom zoom Jajajajaja but for real it's alarming a tad bit especially when my car doesn't make any noises I would like to know if its something I can do a mechanic mentioned the power steering fluid to flush and put new fluids idk though
Audiosolutions is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Steering sounds & rear differential locking up

When was the last time you changed the rear diff (VTM-4) fluid? It needs to be changed every 20-30k miles. Old, worn out fluid and cause weird sounds when you turn left or right. If it's more of a whine, it could be the power steering fluid. A little more detail will probably be needed to make a more fair assessment.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Gouranga
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RT
Formal Black

i didnt know you had to change the rear dif fluid every 30k miles

what about tranny fluid ?
Gouranga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouranga View Post
i didnt know you had to change the rear dif fluid every 30k miles

what about tranny fluid ?
Yep. Honda recommends changing the rear diff fluid first at 15k miles, then every 30k miles past that. The tranny fluid is to be changed first at 45k miles and then every 30k miles although some have done the first change sooner. Some with trucks older than 2011 who have the older Z-1 fluid from the factory have elected to do three full drains and fills with the newer, full synthetic DW-1 fluid. Otherwise, regular fluid changes following the MM system is all that is required.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Ditto what Ian said about changing the rear diff fluid... VTM-4 fluid only. My understanding is that you can get a growling noise if the fluid is dirty or contaminated.

Gouranga, it would probably be a good idea for you to do a complete fluid and filter service to your RL to establish your maintenance baseline. Do you plan to use the MM for your maintenance events?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Tags
chassis , differential , steering wheel , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.