Biggest Battery for Ridgeline? - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Biggest Battery for Ridgeline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
I have read that as well. My 07 is pretty hard to start when it's been sitting in sub-freezing temps for a day or two. Even with the 750CCA battery I have, it still doesn't start as well as I would hope. That is one of the big plusses of having an 09+ model - the upgraded starter. I know an Optima or other AGM style battery would help, but I just can't fathom spending that much on a battery. Plus, I still have two years left on this battery's full warranty.
Autozone sells the Platinum for $140. That beats optimas at over $190. Sad to see some RLs failing to start on very cold temperatures even having over 800CC.

I am still with my OEM and when it has enough charge, it never fails but I hardly have temperatures below 45 degrees in my area.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Autozone sells the Platinum for $140. That beats optimas at over $190. Sad to see some RLs failing to start on very cold temperatures even having over 800CC.

I am still with my OEM and when it has enough charge, it never fails but I hardly have temperatures below 45 degrees in my area.
Yep, very sad. If it gets below freezing, my truck doesn't like it. That starter just isn't strong enough no matter what battery you have. The Platinum certainly looks nice, but I have no reason to replace mine for now. As long as I make sure to start it and run it every day, it seems to be just fine - even after having a hard time "waking up" on a cold morning.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

I guess if I get one of these, the alternator will not work as hard as with an normal battery. The question is How much?

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/mobile.html
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
I guess if I get one of these, the alternator will not work as hard as with an normal battery. The question is How much?

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/mobile.html
I read their Web site and the FAQ's with interest. I could not find any mention of how much draw this type of battery would take when charging. However, they do mention several times how much faster it is to charge. Without actual current figures, I would assume that faster charging means a HIGHER load on the alternator.

Their lithium ion battery products have many interesting properties, but unfortunately for those of us with significant winter weather, tolerance for cold isn't one of them. Their operating range only goes down to -20C. http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/pdf...ankingAmps.pdf .
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
Ian Brantford
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Yep, very sad. If it gets below freezing, my truck doesn't like it. That starter just isn't strong enough no matter what battery you have. The Platinum certainly looks nice, but I have no reason to replace mine for now. As long as I make sure to start it and run it every day, it seems to be just fine - even after having a hard time "waking up" on a cold morning.
If it is losing significant charge on a daily basis, it' is probably about to let you down. Stop waffling and buy a new battery. :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
I'm sure I don't have as much cold weather as you. But I have seen zero issues with the RL starter. Nor the Pilot starter. I am unfamiliar with the starter changes that occurred in 2009. Did they beef up the starter? Does Honda still use the same OEM battery with 550 CCAs?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
If it is losing significant charge on a daily basis, it' is probably about to let you down. Stop waffling and buy a new battery. :-)
It doesn't lose significant charge every day. When I said "run it every day" I mean that I have no issues with it at all through the week when I drive it every day. Starts right up in the mornings. It's the times where we have bitter cold temperatures and I let it sit outside for three days without starting it. It cranks pretty slowly, but still starts. I'll be moving into a house in the spring with a heated garage, so I won't have to worry about it anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I'm sure I don't have as much cold weather as you. But I have seen zero issues with the RL starter. Nor the Pilot starter. I am unfamiliar with the starter changes that occurred in 2009. Did they beef up the starter? Does Honda still use the same OEM battery with 550 CCAs?
AFAIK, the starters in the 06-08 took a little more torque to turn and didn't spin quite as fast as was needed. This means that even the slightest discharged battery would cause the starter to turn even slower, which happens more frequently in cold weather. The 09+ starters are able to turn quicker and don't require as much battery power to operate them. I had read this sometime in the past on here, so I don't know how much truth there is to it. Someone else may be able to prove or discount my statements.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
Ian Brantford
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
It doesn't lose significant charge every day. When I said "run it every day" I mean that I have no issues with it at all through the week when I drive it every day. Starts right up in the mornings. It's the times where we have bitter cold temperatures and I let it sit outside for three days without starting it. It cranks pretty slowly, but still starts.
By "significant", I should have said "noticeably". If it cranks more slowly after three days than after one day, it's losing significant charge. You should be able to park it for weeks at a minimum and have full confidence that it will start in bitter cold weather.
Quote:
I'll be moving into a house in the spring with a heated garage, so I won't have to worry about it anymore!
That's great, if you assume that you'll never have to drive somewhere else and park in the cold for a few hours. If you need to store the vehicle warm to make it start, I'm sure that 1970's Fiat owners everywhere will welcome you into the fold! :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

I have one of autozones platinum and absolutely love it. Even after upgrading my stereo I can leave the radio on fairly loud (like when I work outside) for hours and the thing starts like nothing had been running. I found that out one day when I left the truck on for about four(ish) hours by mistake. When i'm at school now that it is cold i'll watch movies in it waiting for class to start on my long break. That and the fact it is completely sealed and doesn't off gas are good bonuses.

I would have reservations about the lithium though. I don't think that the draw while charging will be more. Just because LEDs put out twice the light as a standard bulb doesn't mean the use twice the amps. It is a completely different technology that doesn't follow the same physical rules. Fact of the matter is though the lithium batteries have a memory and if they are left constantly charged then they can fail based on that memory. Oh often do we let our car batteries die? I would have no issues having it as a second battery in the trunk. That would solve the alternator issue that was pointed out earlier.

Ian, your battery is on it's last legs; it might still work, but what is your reserve at? I know you want to milk it, but come on now. I think you've gotten your moneys worth at this point lol... Bradford has made a pretty good argument for replacing it.

I think Honda kind of cheaped out a little on the old starter. It doesn't appear to be as efficient as the 09' even though it does still do the job.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

'battery memory' should not be a problem with Li, You may be thinking of NiCad batteries. Li does retain a charge for a long time compared with other battery types, but that's not the same as 'battery memory' which has to do with the battery not being able to be fully charged if it is never allowed to fully discharge. Instead, it will only charge to a previous lower level.
An Li battery should be able to be fully charged anytime.

Li is also very long life compared to other batteries, but how it's reliability & lifespan might be affected by the typical continuous charging routine in a motor vehicle may be another issue, as pointed out.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 11-14-2012 at 01:41 PM.
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.