Oil Filters / Wrench size - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Oil Filters / Wrench size

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwejo View Post
And the Purolator Pure 1 has non slip paint so haven't had to use a wrench for as long as I can remember. Of course an over tightened filter is a different story.

My hands have been a little warm a few times, but I let things cool enough not to get burned. Also, if the oil is too hot, then its too easy to get a little hole if you use the freezer bag over the filter trick and that's no fun, and I wouldn't know anything about dropping the whole thing, missing my drip pan, and covering myself and driveway with oil.
My last change I got the Purolator Synthetic. Since I only change once a year, it seemed like a good idea. But then, what do I know?
I like the non-slip finish on the can too. Plus, it seems to be very robust besides.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Jonb
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb View Post
I used a pair of pump pliers on my first oil change to get mine off. Its not ideal but its all I had and it did the job. Dealer had it so damn tight it was't even funny. Hand tight people hand tight that's all it takes.
LOL same here. I've always done my own oil changes and have never had or needed a filter wrench. I you put it on hand tight all you will need is your hand to get it off when the time comes.
Jonb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
mmm666
ROC Rank: Freshman
2010 RTL
White/Grey

I buy this oil filter wrench on ebay. item 370669916534 $10.75 free s/h. for toyota matirx 64 mm. It fit toyota 64mm, honda oem oil filter, as well as napa, wix filter. 100% work 100 % fit.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Purolator Classic filters are the best value out there - replacing the Supertech filters that used to be of much better quality. There is no need to make an oil filter too tight. I use the method of one full turn once the rubber seal makes contact with the mounting surface. I've never had any leaks and I've never had to use a wrench to get an oil filter to come off. If you can't turn the old filter by hand when you're trying to remove it, you put it on too tight.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Like Jonb, hand tighten and hand loosen works for me.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

I only install my oil filters by hand, and 90 % of the time I can not remove them by hand even though I do not tighten them hard, the $6 wrenches is my insurance for removing them rather than the hammer screwdriver twist method that I had to do once before on my truck
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Do you coat the gasket with a thin film of fresh oil when you put the new filter on? I don't know if that would make a difference or not, but that is my normal practice. I dip my finger in fresh oil and wet the gasket, add some oil to the inside of the filter, then tighten it snugly by hand. I never have a problem removing by hand.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I do, after wiping the mating surface on the block clean. It seems it is often recommended in the instructions on the box.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Same here. Wipe the mating surface and then coat the rubber seal on the filter with a little clean oil. Easy on, easy off. Never any issues turning it by hand when changing.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Applying oil to the gasket also keeps it from tearing or spinning in the filter housing. Be careful when adding oil to the filter, the big hole in the middle is the clean side of the filter.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.