RPM's surging around 60-80km/hr - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: RPM's surging around 60-80km/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
If the op, takes his truck to the dealer for all services the TSB should be free, just a thought.
True, but for those of use who have only been to the dealership twice in nearly three years, it probably won't be. Haha! FYI - changing the gear lube does nothing to help this issue. Changed it with fresh Mobil 1 on Friday and drove about 60 miles on Saturday. On several occasions, I was around 45mph at very light throttle. The truck would surge just a bit once every second or so until I either let off the gas or applied more of it. It only did it three times, but that's three times too many. I just don't know if the TSB would solve this issue or not.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
ncbryan
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

have a 2008 Ridgeline and mine is doing the same thing. I see where everyone is changing the fluid but I don't see anyone saying that solved the surging problem? Can anyone answer to that?

Also, what is TSB?

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by ncbryan; 11-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
ncbryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
OldNorske
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbryan View Post
have a 2008 Ridgeline and mine is doing the same thing. I see where everyone is changing the fluid but I don't see anyone saying that solved the surging problem? Can anyone answer to that?

Also, what is TSB?

Thanks,
Bryan
Technical Service Bulletin

I've never experienced the "surging problem". I bought the truck with 20K already on it. I assume the tranny TSB was already performed on it by the previous owner (or maybe mine is not in the VIN range that needed it). However, I did do all the drain/fills to DW1 and it shifts much smoother than with the Z1 fluid.
OldNorske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
IanRTL
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorske View Post
Technical Service Bulletin

I've never experienced the "surging problem". I bought the truck with 20K already on it. I assume the tranny TSB was already performed on it by the previous owner (or maybe mine is not in the VIN range that needed it). However, I did do all the drain/fills to DW1 and it shifts much smoother than with the Z1 fluid.
If you have an 06, you definitely needed the TSB for the tranny. All 06's and some of the very early 07's (including mine), were subject to it. I'm guessing that if you've never experienced this surging that the TSB was done by the original owner. Makes me wonder if I should just go have it done. Ugh...
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
ncbryan
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Was the TSB just for 2006 and 2007 models or is it possible that my 2008 is also included in the TSB?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
IanRTL
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
All 06's and some of the very early 07's (including mine), were subject to it.
Quote:
Was the TSB just for 2006 and 2007 models or is it possible that my 2008 is also included in the TSB?
Only 06's and very early 07's. 08's have the updated tranny software from the factory.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
ncbryan
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

So changing the tranny fluid to the synthetic should eliminate the problem then?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
IanRTL
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
So changing the tranny fluid to the synthetic should eliminate the problem then?
Not necessarily. I did a complete changeover about 30k miles ago and then another drain and fill 15k miles ago. It did go away for a bit, but it comes back. It's not as bad with the synthetic fluid, but it's still there.This is why I'm interested to see if the TSB helps.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
ncbryan
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

This topic has appeared to have gone dead, but I know for one that the problem hasn't gone away on my '08 RL. I have changed the tranny fluid to the synthetic. I have changed the plugs. Neither has made a difference in the RPM surging around 1500rpm at about 45mph. There is clearly something going on, but I am surprised that nobody on the forum has come up with a solution. I have had my mechanic drive it and he felt the surge, but his only suggestion was to change the plugs. Didn't work or help the problem. I am VERY hesitant to take my RL to the dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem, because their way of solving problems is to replace parts until something works which obviously can get VERY expensive. I am afraid this surging is more serious than people think and would like to find a solution to the problem. Any updates from anyone?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Sorry Bryan. Only my Pilot does that and I can't seem to make it do it on command. I really think it's a tranny thing, unrelated to the engine.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.