E-3 Spark Plugs - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
jekehoe
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

E-3 Spark Plugs

Has anybody tried E-3 Spark Plugs? Any difference?
Joshua 24:15
jekehoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Re: E-3 Spark Plugs

I'm sorry to say that I watched their video... which really said nothing. At the end they want you to believe that the burn rate of a fuel changes based on the source of ignition (which is not true).

Just another take on the spark plug gimmick that's been going on for many decades.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

The stock NGK iridium plugs are the best plugs you can buy. There is a reason the Honda engineers used them. They last for 100k miles and provide all the spark your truck will ever need. They can be had on Amazon for less than $10 each whereas a dealership will charge you about double that. Easy DIY job and you can save a few hundred bucks by doing it yourself. Don't use anti-seize on the threads and make sure you torque them to 13 lb./ft! Almost learned that the hard way.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
dk miller
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

multiple ground electrode spark plugs have been around as far back as I can remember. At my age that's waaaay back. The extra ground electrodes do nothing to improve spark.

Think of the spark as a miniature lightning bolt. As voltage increases there are many potential paths to ground. When the air ionizes and the spark occurs it goes to only one point. The other ground points remain inert.

The fact that this stuff has never went away proves that PT Barnum was right all along.
dk miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
quickshift
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 LX
White/Grey

You would never see a difference on a Ridge, ......HOWEVER, I watched dyno runs on a 470HP small block chevy and after setting down a couple of base runs they replaced the plugs with E3s, it made almost 5HP more.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

why switch? OEM plugs last over 130K miles. Iridium lasts longer than Platinum or copper.

German cars take german plugs, Japanese cars take japanese plugs, domestic cars use domestic plugs. Short term some different plugs may feel better or work better but long term they usually fail early.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshift View Post
You would never see a difference on a Ridge, ......HOWEVER, I watched dyno runs on a 470HP small block chevy and after setting down a couple of base runs they replaced the plugs with E3s, it made almost 5HP more.
Was that in person? I've always been skeptical of watching those sorts of things on TV shows or other videos. I'm sure E3 paid a lot of money for when "Horsepower" on Spike did a test running regular copper plugs in a high performance engine and then running the E3's - supposedly yielding an 8hp gain. Who's to say the copper plugs were gapped properly or were even the proper heat range? I'm sure there are instances where the E3's would probably outperform other plugs, but the RL is not one of them. The NGK iridium is an expensive plug for good reason. Any time you can get 100k+ miles from spark plugs, you're doing well. I changed mine at 108k miles and they still looked like they could go another 100k miles.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
quickshift
2008 LX
White/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
I'm sure there are instances where the E3's would probably outperform other plugs, but the RL is not one of them.
.....Agreed......and yes I was at the dyno session painfully watching as I am a die hard Ford man!
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
bamf3000
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshift View Post
That could easily be attributed to the car cooling down between spark plug replacement. A 5hp difference really shouldn't be a measurement for any improvement on something of high horsepower
bamf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
quickshift
2008 LX
White/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf3000 View Post
That could easily be attributed to the car cooling down between spark plug replacement. A 5hp difference really shouldn't be a measurement for any improvement on something of high horsepower
With no disrespect intended, dyno runs are done under identical conditions to ensure that the results are truly comparative. This means the same oil, oil pressure and temp,atmospheric conditions, A/F ratio and yes...engine and water temp.
When you're drag racing to within .001 seconds, 5 HP CAN make the difference between a win or loss and a LOT of $$$$$.
This comes from experience and not bench racing.....check my signature below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.