Drivers door speaker stopped working, where do I start? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Drivers door speaker stopped working, where do I start?

Beth, I would put my money on one of the connections on the actual door speaker itself has worked itself loose. I say that because the tweeter is wired directly to the door speaker. If both don't work, it's because the door driver isn't getting signal.

Taking the door panel off is nowhere near as difficult as you might think, even though it does seem scary. It's just a few bolts and screws here and there and then you just pull the thing off. If you can change your oil, you can do this. Check out this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=28170

Pictures and step-by-step instructions. Passenger door is nearly identical in removal method as the driver's door - only with less electrical connections.

Once you have the panel off, you will see the door speaker. There is a little tab on the top of it that you need to push on and it will come out. Check the connection. If it is loose or not making contact, you've found your problem. If the connection is fine and it still doesn't work, you have a blown speaker. You can easily upgrade the door speakers for not much money if this is the case.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
Beth, I would put my money on one of the connections on the actual door speaker itself has worked itself loose. I say that because the tweeter is wired directly to the door speaker. If both don't work, it's because the door driver isn't getting signal.

Taking the door panel off is nowhere near as difficult as you might think, even though it does seem scary. It's just a few bolts and screws here and there and then you just pull the thing off. If you can change your oil, you can do this. Check out this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=28170

Pictures and step-by-step instructions. Passenger door is nearly identical in removal method as the driver's door - only with less electrical connections.

Once you have the panel off, you will see the door speaker. There is a little tab on the top of it that you need to push on and it will come out. Check the connection. If it is loose or not making contact, you've found your problem. If the connection is fine and it still doesn't work, you have a blown speaker. You can easily upgrade the door speakers for not much money if this is the case.
It is possible except that the only issue is that both front speakers are out, that means 2 door panel removals, she could try one door and if it is connected properly, then just stop and bring it to the shop for evaluation.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

If it is just the passenger front, I would suggest physically swapping the left & right speaker to see if it is the speaker or the wiring!

Then you have it narrowed it down to wiring or speaker!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

If there is continuity between the speaker terminals, cable off, chances are the speaker is fine. Speaker usually will also make some clicking sounds when attaching test leads from a meter, continuity tester, or small penlight battery, etc.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 11-13-2012 at 07:50 AM.
rollinhonda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

When 2 speakers go bad at the same time and the fader or balance is set correctly, wiring may not be the case. Many ways to find out but removing a door panel is just too much for Beth. Even the dash can be hard with those tricky and sometimes difficult connectors in tight areas.

We will have to wait and find out, a good shop should not charge much to figure it out.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
IanRTL
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I think she meant that the passenger door speaker and the tweeter are out - not both front door speakers. Beth, is that right?
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
I think she meant that the passenger door speaker and the tweeter are out - not both front door speakers. Beth, is that right?
after reading both fronts, sounds like you are right Ian.

In any case I do not think she felt good taking the door panel out. I hopping a good shop will just fix the problem for a fair fee and if it is bad, maybe replace both with a better than oem set for under $150.00
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Elizabeth Miller
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

Sorry guys if I was not clear. The two speakers on the front drivers door are not working. All other door speakers and the sub in the back work.

If both are not working it sounds like the wiring somewhere between the door and the speakers? Sorry if this sounds elementary. Could both speakers have blown or gone bad? How would I test them? Never done that. I will try and take the panel off this weekend, probably Sunday so I have a whole day if there is an issue getting it back together.

Thanks for your advice, I will use it.

Beth
Elizabeth Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

How about the dash tweeters?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
IanRTL
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

You will be amazed at how simple it is to take off the panel. I had never done it on the RL before, but was able to do so in under 5 minutes. If it takes you any longer than 15, I would be surprised. Just follow that thread I posted. Once you do the driver's door, you would be able to do the passenger door very easily. If you actually do have a bad door speaker, I'm sure there will be several members on here who would be willing to send you their old door speakers for just the price of shipping. I would give you mine, but I tossed them when I replaced them with aftermarket ones last spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.