should I do it? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
dk miller
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: should I do it?

It's your "fun car" but you don't want to drive it? Something doesn't compute here.
dk miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I think I would grab a train, or plane, etc. and get to it ASAP, and enjoy the hell out of the ride home.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I don't think driving it is the issue. Taking two vehicles to the same destination is the issue. Tow that sucker. Then drive it!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
ninjakris
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Thanks for all the replies. Speedlover is dead on. I am taking the viper up there and leaving it until I move in a couple months (military move). I am trying to avoid driving two cars to the same location. I love driving my viper as much as anyone would, but figured it would make sense towing the car with two drivers in the RL, making the trip easier.

If you have never been in a viper before, its a rough ride after a couple hours.

How about this: start out towing the viper and if it seems like its too much of a load, just unload the viper and drive seperate?
ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Rib
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

One way trip for the Viper? To me, it's a no brainer to just drive it, although I wouldn't be horribly worried about towing it a little over weight. I may have done it myself one time, but no idea of the weight I was towing...ignorance is bliss.
Rib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
tpevehouse
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakris View Post
How about this: start out towing the viper and if it seems like its too much of a load, just unload the viper and drive seperate?
Good plan, do that. If you're still worried about it then change the trans fluid and that'll trick you into thinking it was all okay.

When was the last time you took a road trip in the toy though? You know you would love it.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I misunderstood the routine also. Based on this being actually a move, I think speed is right on.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
ninjakris
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpevehouse View Post
Good plan, do that. If you're still worried about it then change the trans fluid and that'll trick you into thinking it was all okay.

When was the last time you took a road trip in the toy though? You know you would love it.
Believe it or not, I have owned the car for about a year and racked up over 6K miles. When I baught her, it only had 12K miles and one owner. My first day was 800 mile road trip home (with a huge smile the whole way). I fully intend on driving the car. I think its a shame to let such a awesome car just sit there. I have participated in a couple 1/2 miles racing events and drive it to work usually once a week. I would drive it even more, but I don't really trust people in parking lots.
Attached Images

ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

We have another member that I can think of that has a Viper or two. Haven't seen him lately though.

I believe he's in Michigan.

Oh and there's qlake too. I think he also has a Viper... amongst many other vehicles in his collection.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #20
DaveG55
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Instead of a full blown trailer have you considered a tow dolly or just a flat tow. Don't know if those are options but either would reduce the tow weight enough to put it in the "safe" zone.
Or maybe check around for a different trailer rental that has a trailer that is lighter.
Or rent/borrow a tow vehicle that is more suited for the tow and just leave the Ridgeline home this trip.
Also, as others have suggested, look into some of those vehicle transfer companies. You may find it's not that much more than a one-way trailer rental.
If you decide to use the RL for the tow then, as a precaution, do a complete set of fluid changes before and after the trip.

Personally, I'd not worry too much about towing one way with the RL. You are not going to be in very much hilly country and if you can stay on interstate highway there won't be much stop and go traffic. Just take it easy and if the RL seems to struggle, bite the bullet and make the rest of the trip driving both.

Good luck
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.