Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future. - Page 34 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions


RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #331
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl
 
Ourfarm09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fleming, Georgia
Posts: 4,469
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOnBoard View Post
I'm wondering if 18/24 mpg in the next RL will be good enough to compete in the 2015 truck market. Ford's F-150 EcoBoost is already getting close to that and may equal or surpass it by 2015. Many midsize truck buyers want a bigger fuel efficiency advantage in exchange for the capability trade-off with fullsize trucks. GM, Ford and Ram are facing pressure to improve truck mpg to meet the coming CAFE regs. Honda sells so many fuel efficient vehicles that it doesn't have to worry much about the RL's mpg to meet CAFE, but the next RL does have to compete with other trucks.
I have been looking at the Eco Boost on Fuelly and I don't see these great numbers.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150
__________________
aka Ron
U.S. Army (retired) , ASE Certified

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #332
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 645
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
I have been looking at the Eco Boost on Fuelly and I don't see these great numbers.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150
People seem to be hitting averages of 16/17 with an F150 ecoboost on fuelly. While not amazing that is pretty good for a truck that in the right configuration can tow 11K lbs.

The new Ram 1500 with the Pentastar V6 and 8 speed transmission is supposed to be rated at 18/24 by EPA numbers, we will have to wait and see what that works out to real world. I could see it maybe get 18-18.5 in real world combined driving. But that is with a naturally aspirated V6 that puts out considerably less power than the turbo'd V6 in the ecoboost. The Pentastar V6 would probably be a great motor for Honda to put into the RL. Maybe they can get the motor and ZF i speed transmission Ram is using if they ask really nicely.
phillyguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #333
speedlever
Moderator
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic
 
speedlever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 17,003
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

If I wanted a Dodge, I would buy a Dodge. However, I wanted a Honda, and bought one.
__________________
2008 Ridgeline RTS in BSM


2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #334
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moon Township, PA
Posts: 6,199
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

The Pentastar V6 is extremely new and untested and the 8-speed transmission is even more new and even more untested. Plus, they're Dodge products. On the other hand, variations of the 3.5 engine and 5-speed auto, although considered outdated technology, have been reliably powering RL's, Pilots and Odysseys for the better part of a decade. The 6-speed auto is newer, but has still been proving itself for much longer than the Dodge products. There is quite a bit more power and efficiency that can be found with the 3.5 liter. Which would you rather have - a fancy, powerful, expensive turbo truck that claims 22mpg and gets 16 or a fancy, less powerful, less expensive V6 truck that claims 21mpg and can actually see 23-24 on the highway?
__________________
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #335
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 645
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
The Pentastar V6 is extremely new and untested and the 8-speed transmission is even more new and even more untested. Plus, they're Dodge products. On the other hand, variations of the 3.5 engine and 5-speed auto, although considered outdated technology, have been reliably powering RL's, Pilots and Odysseys for the better part of a decade. The 6-speed auto is newer, but has still been proving itself for much longer than the Dodge products. There is quite a bit more power and efficiency that can be found with the 3.5 liter. Which would you rather have - a fancy, powerful, expensive turbo truck that claims 22mpg and gets 16 or a fancy, less powerful, less expensive V6 truck that claims 21mpg and can actually see 23-24 on the highway?
The transmission is actually from ZF, not from Dodge. The Pentastar has already had some big problems with cylinder heads, but I think they have fixed it now. Within a year or two though the pentastar is going into enough vehicles that they will have worked their kinks out and it should be a damn good modern V6, which was allegedly designed from the getgo to get turbo'd up like the ecoboost V6. A motor like that would not be a bad thing for Honda to have in its arsenal.
phillyguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #336
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 645
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyguy View Post
The transmission is actually from ZF, not from Dodge. The Pentastar has already had some big problems with cylinder heads, but I think they have fixed it now. Within a year or two though the pentastar is going into enough vehicles that they will have worked their kinks out and it should be a damn good modern V6, which was allegedly designed from the getgo to get turbo'd up like the ecoboost V6. A motor like that would not be a bad thing for Honda to have in its arsenal.
That post read more negatively than I had intended. I only meant that having a modern V6 purposefully designed to be functional well into the future would be a useful tool for Honda to have to draw upon. I don't know if their 3.5L V6 is made for the long haul, or if it is only meant to be viable for a few more years.
phillyguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #337
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moon Township, PA
Posts: 6,199
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyguy View Post
The transmission is actually from ZF, not from Dodge. The Pentastar has already had some big problems with cylinder heads, but I think they have fixed it now. Within a year or two though the pentastar is going into enough vehicles that they will have worked their kinks out and it should be a damn good modern V6, which was allegedly designed from the getgo to get turbo'd up like the ecoboost V6. A motor like that would not be a bad thing for Honda to have in its arsenal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyguy View Post
That post read more negatively than I had intended. I only meant that having a modern V6 purposefully designed to be functional well into the future would be a useful tool for Honda to have to draw upon. I don't know if their 3.5L V6 is made for the long haul, or if it is only meant to be viable for a few more years.
Nah, it wasn't negative. I know the 8-speed is from ZF. Most transmissions and differentials are designed by other companies other than the vehicle manufacturers anyways. The RL's VTM-4 rear diff is a Borg Warner unit. I really do hope the Pentastar and the 8-speed are good products. Dodge has had a string of not so wonderful products with the exception of the thirsty Hemi and the last few iterations of the Viper. The last few years have certainly looked promising for Dodge, but only time will tell. With direct injection and revised valve timing, the 3.5 can be a very solid engine. It's rumored it will have 290hp and 290-300 lb./ft. That would be the power boost that so many RL owners have been wanting for years. A great byproduct of that would be a better power-to-weight ratio which would help with fuel efficiency.
__________________
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #338
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 645
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
Nah, it wasn't negative. I know the 8-speed is from ZF. Most transmissions and differentials are designed by other companies other than the vehicle manufacturers anyways. The RL's VTM-4 rear diff is a Borg Warner unit. I really do hope the Pentastar and the 8-speed are good products. Dodge has had a string of not so wonderful products with the exception of the thirsty Hemi and the last few iterations of the Viper. The last few years have certainly looked promising for Dodge, but only time will tell. With direct injection and revised valve timing, the 3.5 can be a very solid engine. It's rumored it will have 290hp and 290-300 lb./ft. That would be the power boost that so many RL owners have been wanting for years. A great byproduct of that would be a better power-to-weight ratio which would help with fuel efficiency.
I hope that Dodge's experiment will grille shutters and their other fuel saving features in their new Ram workout as well. A RL with a more powerful yet more efficient motor, better transmission, and improved aerodynamics due to grille shutters and possible air suspension would be extraordinary. I'm not even sure if I could hold off the mandatory 1-2 years to let the new product kinks get worked out if Honda offered something like that. I'd be first in line.

Last edited by phillyguy; 11-13-2012 at 09:20 PM.
phillyguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #339
Bagger
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2008 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 232
Send a message via Yahoo to Bagger
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
Possibly, but Honda is very slow to react to trends and new, unproven technologies. I highly doubt we'll see anything like that anytime soon. There was rumor of a 7-speed dual clutch happening for the new Acura RL and maybe the NSX. That sort of technology won't filter into the Honda brand for many years.
The 7spd dc is a bit more than rumor at this point.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...lx-review.html
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/quic...es-184319.html
Bagger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #340
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black
 
csimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,033
Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

The Pentastar engine is an excellent design that has yet to reach its potential. From what I hear they're working on adapting Fiat's Multi-Air technology to the engine. I don't think they've even released a direct injected version yet.

As for the ZF-8HP transmission. It's well proven and is used by many manufacturers. The list I see include Audi, Bentley, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Ram, Rolls-Royce, and Volkswagen. That's an impressive resume for a transmission.

Can you keep a secret? (lol) I have heard a rumor (hint, hint) that Honda has been working on licensing the ZF-9HP transmission. It would be the ZF design but Honda will build it themselves. The 9HP is a very advanced transmission and I hear numbers that it's at least 15% more efficient than the current Honda 6AT. Don't get your hopes up because it's not a done deal and this is at least a couple of years away and would probably hit Acura for a couple of years before migrating to the Honda brand.

ZF also has a really nice (but expensive) 7 speed dual-clutch transmission... that would be very, very nice.
__________________
-Joe
email: joe at ridgelineownersclub . com (anti-spam measure, but you can figure it out)

All content i publish is Copyright © at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

  Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ridgeline 2013 Future Info. / Good and Bad jonesbb630 Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions 554 08-16-2012 08:14 PM
2013 Ridgeline - OH NO! shortspark Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions 11 08-08-2012 12:53 AM
See the great Superbowl 2013 Ridgeline Ad? Lingered_I Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions 23 02-07-2012 11:47 AM
2013 Ridgeline Head Unit? Norville Mobile Electronics 2 01-10-2012 12:12 PM
Chrysler's 2013 Ridgeline endura Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions 2 05-18-2011 10:35 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 PM.



Views and opinions expressed on this forum are not necessarily those held by Autoforums, Inc. or forum management.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.