Hids - Page 8 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #71
Victorinox
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RT
White / Beige

Re: Hids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I thought the type / shape of "light emitter" dictated the design of the reflector?
I"ll explain it once more for slow people.
type of the emitter doesn't matter really, position m of the light is.
if emitter positioned correctly within reflector beam would be identical, don't you study physics in high school? Don't overcomplicate how headlight works it't not that complicated.
Victorinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #72
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorinox View Post
if emitter positioned correctly within reflector beam would be identical, don't you study physics in high school? Don't overcomplicate how headlight works it't not that complicated.

Wow, thanks for slowing that down for me. It is still wrong (From what I understand of wave propagation). Stay away from Wiki, it's not very PhD of you.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #73
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Grammar police? English is not my first language,not even second.
Is that sentence grammatically correct?

I'm done arguing with tight asses on this board you combined point of view is
well known, so my answer is: whatever floats your boat.

They don't flash at me because my correctly adjusted hid headlights is not blinding them, that is my story, period. No problem with police either, I asked my neighbor who is highway patrol officer if my headlight looks problematic to him. he measured how high low beam goes on his garage door and said I'm good. End of story.
Congrats on your neighbor using the true measurement methodology Oh, yes, your grammar was close enough to satisfy me and most others
Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #74
Victorinox
2008 RT
White / Beige

first of all i didn't used wiki for my answer, secondly how about piss off.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #75
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Ouch, tough crowd and it's not even happy hour yet!

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #76
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
And you're absolutely WRONG. Your fundamentally wrong in assuming that all light sources are unidirectional. To the contrary, for example a HB2 bulb has a specific light output pattern regulated by DOT.

Yes headlamp systems ARE complicated. The law and regulations are specific and apply to everyone (even if they think their high school physics class exempts them from the laws and regulations).
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #77
Victorinox
2008 RT
White / Beige

show me where I said that light is unidirectional, in fact it's omnidirectional. for some it's more complicated then for others, no questions about that.
any modification to headlight is not legal I stated that 20 times already. leave me alone and try thinking outside ofthe box once in a while.

Last edited by Victorinox; 11-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #78
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
any modification to headlight is not legal
First thing you said that I agree with.

In halogen or sealed beam automotive lighting the filament of the bulb is not the light source... the bulb or sealed beam is a unit and is the source of light.

You also need to understand that different light sources need different focusing methods... a halogen bulb can use a simple reflector (such as in the Ridgeline) which is inappropriate for a HID light source which need a projector.

The bottom line is that there is right and there is wrong. It is wrong to use illegal headlamp systems such as aftermarket HID lamps on a vehicle or headlamp system never designed for such equipment. You are deciding that your desire for light (or just a dumb ass kid trying to be cool) is more important than the safety of everyone else on the road. You cannot say they are aimed adjusted properly since no standards for such an installation exist.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #79
Victorinox
2008 RT
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
First thing you said that I agree with.

In halogen or sealed beam automotive lighting the filament of the bulb is not the light source... the bulb or sealed beam is a unit and is the source of light.
I really should give up to your bulling Joe, but I can't help myself.....
this statement is incorrect, in halogen bulb filament of the bulb is the light source, there no igniting gases in halogen, it it not luminescent bulb. halogen gases helps redeposit evaporated tungsten back on the filament to prolong it's life, nothing else.
You also need to understand that different light sources need different focusing methods... a halogen bulb can use a simple reflector (such as in the Ridgeline) which is inappropriate for a HID light source which need a projector. [/QUOTE]
that was complete BS , my 2001 mercedes AMG has factory hids in simple reflector housing, no projectors. my BMW has projectors without hids,

what I agree with is that every housing should be designed for particular bulb.

[/QUOTE]The bottom line is that there is right and there is wrong. It is wrong to use illegal headlamp systems such as aftermarket HID lamps on a vehicle or headlamp system never designed for such equipment. You are deciding that your desire for light (or just a dumb ass kid trying to be cool) is more important than the safety of everyone else on the road. You cannot say they are aimed adjusted properly since no standards for such an installation exist.[/QUOTE]
there is a light pattern standard you can easily obtain, you can't say mine HL is dangerous just because they haven't been dot certified. assumption that everything not made at the Honda factory is dangerous and can't be improved upon is plain ignorant.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #80
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

First things first... learn to read first, type second.

I said that in automotive lighting the light source is the bulb. That is 100% true. The bulb (in halogen), sealed beam, etc. is the regulated unit.

I did not say that a halogen bulb could not be used in a projector, or a HID could not be used in a reflector.

I did not say that "everything not made a the Honda factory is dangerous and can't be improved upon" or anything similar. I have no idea how you got that in your brain because it's not true. I have been very critical of many things pertaining to Honda. I do believe that certain modifications are dangerous, but for the most part I really don't care as long as it's the driver/owner putting themselves at risk. In the case of illegal HID headlamps I draw the line because you put others at risk.

You said, "there is a light pattern standard you can easily obtain"... please document that light pattern standard for a Honda Ridgeline equipped with HID headlamps. If the standard exists I'd like to read it.

FYI, DOT does not certify anything. Components are certified by the manufacturer to meet DOT standards... but those are just components. Headlamp units are regulated by NHTSA.

Use of a component that is certified to meet or exceed DOT standards in an application not originally equipped for such a component does not make it street legal. We'll use your 2001 Mercedes as an example... I don't know the various models and trim lines they had back then, but let's say they had a low line and high line variant of the model you drive. The low line had halogen headlamps and the high line had HID headlamps. You cannot take a HID headlamp system out of a high line and put it in a low line and be street legal. Even if they are identical bolt in units and meet DOT standards they aren't legal. If the vehicle was not originally equipped with HID headlamps there is no way to legally install HID headlamps. I personally think that position is a bit extreme, but that is the official position of NHTSA and until the law is changed or amended we are obligated to abide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.